Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Does it matter which cassette adapter thingy I get to listen to music in my car with my phone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does it matter which cassette adapter thingy I get to listen to music in my car with my phone?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Or are there better quality adapters that make my music sound better?  I have a Galaxy S5 and an SUV that is almost 10 years old.  I've been using an adapter that someone got for me but it's deteriorating and I need to position my phone a certain way in order to listen to music clearly without any problem. 

post #2 of 19

You can always get a new USB receiver for less than the average cash out on the Galaxy S5 instead of worrying about the SQ of one tape adapter over another (or locating one these days - I haven't even seen such a thing in years). Safer too as you will not deal with a device not within your safe line of sight within the vehicle cabin nor hooked up with a cable.

 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020FZ150/Clarion-FZ150.html?tp=5684

post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

You can always get a new USB receiver for less than the average cash out on the Galaxy S5 instead of worrying about the SQ of one tape adapter over another (or locating one these days - I haven't even seen such a thing in years). Safer too as you will not deal with a device not within your safe line of sight within the vehicle cabin nor hooked up with a cable.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020FZ150/Clarion-FZ150.html?tp=5684

That's some good advice there. I have a bottom of the range Alpine head unit in my Golf which accepts USB sticks and an armrest filled with sticks of every genre. The sound quality was great.

I say "was" because I got bitten by the ICE bug and invested in a monster Alpine 4-channel amp as well as Alpine Type-G components all around. Then an Alpine 12" Type-G sub. It sounds bloody incredible to these 50 years old ears.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


That's some good advice there. I have a bottom of the range Alpine head unit in my Golf which accepts USB sticks and an armrest filled with sticks of every genre. The sound quality was great.

I say "was" because I got bitten by the ICE bug and invested in a monster Alpine 4-channel amp as well as Alpine Type-G components all around. Then an Alpine 12" Type-G sub. It sounds bloody incredible to these 50 years old ears.

 

After having been with a Pioneer Premier DEH-860MP for over five years, Im jumping back into Alpine. Well, I never really stopped using Alpine, but my main system had the Pioneer. I traded my Alpine DVD unit for an Alpine processor that I can use with integrated receivers on newer cars (accepts speaker cable inputs, with a type of auto gain adjustment on the input stage), ready for my next car. 

 

 

My next processor - it comes with Audyssey MultiEQ and a test disc to apply up to 512 EQ adjustments to get the flattest response possible

 

The thing is, if you're really serious about a car's system, you'll need to have a processor that can do 6ch time alignment, so it can put delays on the nearest transducers (driver side tweeter, midwoofer) and sync all speakers to the farthest speaker (the subwoofer), eliminating all microsecond delays, and image everything on the dashboard like a nearfield system. The problem is it doesn't end there - I'm going to need at least 5 channels of amplification (2 tweeter, 2 midwoofer, 1 subwoofer) - since the tweeters and midwoofers need to be powered independently in such a set-up.

 


What I have in my car right now - a Vifa 8ohm home audio tweeter that goes all the way down to 1.2khz in my set-up paired with Focal Polyglass 165VR midwoofers, all powered by 75watts (tweeters) and 150watts (midwoofers) of American Class A/B iron - the Digital Designs C4 amplifier.

post #5 of 19
Nice gear. I think it's more expensive than my car. I don't really spend enough time in my car these days to justify more expense. To be honest the system I have now was a bit if a mid-life crisis project.

smily_headphones1.gif
post #6 of 19

There are a ton of those cassette adapters on eBay for next to nothing, and no, I don't think it makes any difference which one so long as it has the correct configuration as far as the position of the wire.

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

Nice gear. I think it's more expensive than my car. I don't really spend enough time in my car these days to justify more expense. To be honest the system I have now was a bit if a mid-life crisis project.

smily_headphones1.gif

 

Oh it's not that expensive - I spent way less money on my current system. Used Pioneer receiver/Processor for $150, Vifa tweets for $20 (but HUGE magnets that will beat nearly every car audio tweeter for low end response), used Focal 165VR midwoofers for $80, fiberglass mount for tweets for $60 at a local shop, and the DD C4 amplifier I got in a trade for I don't remember anymore. My cash-out was only $310 or so.

 

On my next system I'm going cheap but really, really good. I have a processor, so no need for speaker kits, which gives me a lot of leeway with Parts Express drivers. If anything, the only huge expense will be on the amp - I'm going for Alpine's PDX series and I don't expect my DD C4 to get more than $250.

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 

Would getting a bluetooth speaker be a good option?  hows the sound quality of bluetooth speakers?  I'm thinking about getting this

 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-FREEWAY-Bluetooth-Speakerphone-Packaging/dp/B004XZHY34

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen0ne View Post
 

Would getting a bluetooth speaker be a good option?  hows the sound quality of bluetooth speakers?  I'm thinking about getting this

 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-FREEWAY-Bluetooth-Speakerphone-Packaging/dp/B004XZHY34

 

You mean for use in a car? Off the bat I'd say it's a bad idea. Ergonomically the volume control isn't as easy to reach, and sometimes you can't wait until a full stop to have to  turn it down. Also, even with that form factor, that's likely to obscure your vision in some way. Even reaching for the phone to control the playback will take your eyes off the road, which is also why car audio receivers with digital inputs from iPods, iOS, Androids, etc serve as the host device and turn the other device into basically just a storage device, extracting the audio and putting the display where you can see it in the corner of your eye and within easy reach on the dashboard. Also because of the form factor it likely has far from a full range response and lack low end performance, which is made worse by a car's noise floor. And for $60 you can get the Clarion digital receiver I linked

 

If you're not using it in a car though I'd recommend the Bose Soundlink. It's a little expensive but it's the one I've listened to and like it - bass is boosted to sound like larger speakers, but when we play bass-heavy tracks, it doesn't get overdone (I think it might have some tech that detects at what point the drivers will distort, and reduces the bass boost accordingly). However, do check comparison reviews for that vs the UE and Creative BT speakers, considering how much cheaper those are.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen0ne View Post

Would getting a bluetooth speaker be a good option?  hows the sound quality of bluetooth speakers?  I'm thinking about getting this


http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-FREEWAY-Bluetooth-Speakerphone-Packaging/dp/B004XZHY34

Is this for playback in the car? I don't think it's going to sound very good at all I'm afraid. For not too much more money you can get a good HU instead.
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


Is this for playback in the car? I don't think it's going to sound very good at all I'm afraid. For not too much more money you can get a good HU instead.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

You mean for use in a car? Off the bat I'd say it's a bad idea. Ergonomically the volume control isn't as easy to reach, and sometimes you can't wait until a full stop to have to  turn it down. Also, even with that form factor, that's likely to obscure your vision in some way. Even reaching for the phone to control the playback will take your eyes off the road, which is also why car audio receivers with digital inputs from iPods, iOS, Androids, etc serve as the host device and turn the other device into basically just a storage device, extracting the audio and putting the display where you can see it in the corner of your eye and within easy reach on the dashboard. Also because of the form factor it likely has far from a full range response and lack low end performance, which is made worse by a car's noise floor. And for $60 you can get the Clarion digital receiver I linked

 

If you're not using it in a car though I'd recommend the Bose Soundlink. It's a little expensive but it's the one I've listened to and like it - bass is boosted to sound like larger speakers, but when we play bass-heavy tracks, it doesn't get overdone (I think it might have some tech that detects at what point the drivers will distort, and reduces the bass boost accordingly). However, do check comparison reviews for that vs the UE and Creative BT speakers, considering how much cheaper those are.

 

 

Yeah it's for my car.  And I am a super lazy dude who gets headaches just looking at videos on how to take out and put in new head units/decks so that isn't an option.  And I am paranoid to let someone else do it for me even at Best Buy cause they might install some secret hidden camera and or audio recording device in my car without me knowing.

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen0ne View Post

 

Yeah it's for my car.  And I am a super lazy dude who gets headaches just looking at videos on how to take out and put in new head units/decks so that isn't an option.  And I am paranoid to let someone else do it for me even at Best Buy cause they might install some secret hidden camera and or audio recording device in my car without me knowing.

 

Now why would they do that? I mean, how would they know that installing a camera would pay off, ie, do they know who uses their cars for quickies with coworkers? Is there a reason why any alphabet soup agent (FBI, NSA, CIA, DEA) would want to track you more than Facebook and Google can with that S3 especially with data and GPS running? Do you work for Coke or KFC, and you discuss ideas and recipes in the car?

 

I take it you also do all repairs on your own truck? Because any mechanic can do the same thing to your car (and more) while it's in their shop, especially if it's left in there overnight at the very least (if not several days). If I were an agent for example this is how it's gonna go down: I'm gonna take an INS agent, squeeze the poor mechanic and threaten his family with poverty and hunger plus additional humiliation for him coming home a deportee, or maybe the cartels/gangs/terrorists/whatever want his head back home, to plant surveillance equipment on some guy's car while it's in the shop, for example a car belonging to a drug dealer/cartel lieutenant's or rich cousin of Bin Laden getting pimped with monitors, cams for his sexcapades,* and twelve Audiobahn subwoofers that will screw up our audio tap.

 

In any case...I'm just saying that's too much of unwarranted paranoia. If your car uses a standard 1-DIN unit and not like the 2004 and up cars that use receivers neatly integrated into the dash and on a panel that includes for example the climate control controls, the most difficult part is cutting up the wiring from the car and twisting it into the matching wire on the adapter going into the new receiver.

 

 

*he wouldn't know we're making an extra copy and see him kidnap a guy who ends up with a bullet in his head! whoops, I forgot to get a warrant for it...yikes! not admissible in court. what's next? he shows off the hydraulics, and our tracking device falls off, in full view of his buddies. the next day they shoot up West Coast Customs, coz no one does that to him, brah.

 

 

Note to mods: i only mentioned "political"-related stuff because it is relevant to installing audio equipment in this discussion

post #13 of 19
What make & model of car do you have and what tape deck is currently installed? Chances are you'll be able to buy a patch cable which will see the job done in around 5 minutes.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

What make & model of car do you have and what tape deck is currently installed? Chances are you'll be able to buy a patch cable which will see the job done in around 5 minutes.


2005 4 Runner SR4 or SR5 I'm too lazy to look it up now cause like I said I'm lazy and it's late at night right now.  Also it's the stock one


Edited by TheChosen0ne - 8/5/14 at 1:10am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen0ne View Post


2005 4 Runner SR4 or SR5 I'm too lazy to look it up now cause like I said I'm lazy and it's late at night right now.  Also it's the stock one

You need this...

http://productfinder.autoleads.co.uk/products.aspx?m=TOYOTA&f=4-RUNNER&id=1347&PIDs=19899,19894

I've no idea where you'd buy it in the USA though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Does it matter which cassette adapter thingy I get to listen to music in my car with my phone?