- 450 Posts. Joined 7/2014
- Select All Posts By This User
- productFiiO E12 Mont Blanctagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/14
Related Forum Threads
- Hiya Last post on 9/3/16 at 5:56pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMAN EF2A vs Fiio E12? Last post on 3/3/16 at 8:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser 429s no highs when plugged into DAC Last post on 2/11/15 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- FiiO E12 v1 vs Cayin C5 brief comparison Last post on 2/19/16 at 8:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- New full-sized headphone to get the best out of my Fiio X1 ( and Fiio E12 ) Last post on 2/24/15 at 8:52am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 11/28/16
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Preamble: I have already reviewed some of 1MORE’s and Xiaomi’s audio products in the past and all of them offered a great sound experience for their very reasonable price point. The...
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
fiio x5 e12 combo
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think we're the ones not getting what you mean.
You're using the Fiio X5 as a source and DAC, with the fiio e12 working as the amp.
You're wondering wether a desktop amp, used instead of the Fiio e12, would make the X5 sound better ? As said, that depends on the amp.
Or do you mean using the fiio x5+ the fiio e12+ a desktop amp ? That would just be reamping the signal and would result in distortion, and generally worse results.
For what it's worth:
I use a fiio X5 and fiio e12 at the office, and the same fiio x5 plugged into a schiit bitfrost dac and an asgard 2 amp. I have never tried using it plugged directly to the asgard only, but the sound is definitely better in all fronts.
This means, of course, that i'm not using the e12 at home, but instead the asgard2.
Depends on the amps, but i would say so.
Going back to my example, i notice a significant improvement from using the x5 into the bitfrost dac into the fiio e12 (X5 as source -> bitfrost DAC - > e12 amp) to using the X5->Bitfrost -> Asgard 2.
I got to try it out since my asgard arrived after the bitfrost.
If you search in this forum you'll find a lot of reviews and impressions on the asgard 2, which are all very positive. It is also well within your price bracket ( $249 new http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2 ), and you can often find them for sale on the forum's trade section.
It is also important, however, to consider what headphones you'll be driving (using) with the amp. Different headphones have different power requirements and signatures that can be complimented with specific amps.
The asgard 2, compared to the asgard 1, has a nice addition in the form of a low/hi gain switch, like the ones on the fiio e12 and the x5. This means you can use it with a wide range of headphones, from IEM's to full orthos.
What headphones are you planning on using ?
Regarding my setup. The fiio x5 has a very good DAC and amp on its own, but just like you use an external amp for better sound or more power ( in your case, the E12), you can also use an external DAC for better overall sound and detail.
Think of it like going from the X3 to the X5. It sounds better and more detailed because it has a better DAC. What I'm doing is taking it further by using an even better DAC than the x5's, externally.
But you can obviously just use the x5 and the external amp. Personally I can recommend the Asgard for the he-400s as a clear upgrade from the e12
Remember you'll need a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable to connect to the X5. This is because the Asgard takes RCA in instead of the single 3.5mm jack of the fiio e12.
I got the he400's used, so I won't be changing for a while. I would like to get a pair of Audeze lcd2, probably next year.
And I think the changes in the 400i are mostly regarding comfort and weight. I'm not sure it would be worth the upgrade.
The new 560, though, looks tasty.
The issue of cables has long discussions and no general consensus.
While i'm not a big believer of expensive digital cables, i do think analog cables (like this) benefit from higher quality components and build. I'd say go for a short cable of decent quality. Being shorter will make it cheaper, and i wouldnt spend more than $50 on said cable.
Schiit themselves sell interconnect cables to connect their dacs and amps for 20$ a pair, which sound good and are well built.
They don't sell the cable you need, but it's an indicator of the kind of price for which you can get decent cables.
You'll find plenty of people disagreeing with me and vouching for much more expensive cables.
- fiio x5 e12 combo
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › Have you heard all 3? Modi2 MB | Gungnir MB | YGGDRASIL 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 7 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions... 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear