Looking for my 4th brand new headphone in the last year, but can't decide which one. Hopefully this headphone can put a rest to my quest for more (that is, until I decide to buy some nice portables/IEMs anyway).
What I have now and what I enjoy about them:
- ATH-M50 -- sub bass, efficiency, good clarity, easy to drive, lots of headroom
- HD 518 -- punchy mid bass, open sound, comfortable, warmth, no sibilance
- HD 598 -- wide soundstage, airiness, natural sound, beautiful mids, very comfortable, nice sparkle, instrument separation
What I listen to:
- Hip Hop
- Electronic (House, Trance, Dance, D&B, Trip Hop, Chillwave, Ambient, etc.)
- Reggae / Dub
- R&B / Funk
- Rock (Classic, Indie, Alternative, even some Folk)
- Pop ('80s and '90s mostly)
- May use for TV/movies and gaming, but not necessarily.
HE-400 with a set of velour pads included for $349 CAD. Said to be the "final batch" (is this about the multiple revisions?).
HD650 for $475 CAD.
- I like what I've read about the HE-400's bass extension and energetic sound, but I'm worried about sibilance and comfort issues.
- I have enjoyed every Sennheiser I've ever listened to and I like the HD650's scalability and what I've read about it's rich sound, but I'm worried that the improvement over my HD598s will be negligible for the price of admission only.
- Basshead or not? I thought I was, but my 598s are my go-to cans. Which is odd, because I listen to lots of bass-driven music, and usually prefer generous sub-bass and flat mid-bass, which the 598s are not.
- I have not heard either headphone and have no way of doing so. I do not have an amp or DAC yet, but will purchase one accordingly.
Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance guys!
Edited by Autoholic - 7/30/14 at 6:48pm