Hi, new here. :) After obsessively reading about tons of different headphones within the past few days and overloading my brain with information, I have a few pairs that I'm considering and I'm having trouble narrowing things down. Any help would be appreciated. This is my list of contenders, but if you think a different set other than what's here would work better for me, I'm open for it. It seems that there's always one little thing about each pair I look at that turns me off. A list of things to consider:
1. They need to sound good. Obviously. :P I'm no audiophile. I probably haven't heard a nice pair of headphones in my entire life. Unless you consider the ratty Sony MDR-V150s I've had for at least 7 years to be "nice." So "good", for me, is hard to describe since I'm not familiar with the jargon, and to be honest with you, I really don't know what any of it means when I read/watch reviews. I have no idea what is considered "warm" or "punchy." All I know is that I would like everything to be clear and crisp and natural, I guess you could say, with a bit of an emphasis on bass. Very few things infuriate me more than headphones having weak or no bass. I like it a little rumbly (but not to the point that it drowns everything else out). I don't have any interest in amping or modification either, so they need to sound good out of the box.
2. Comfort. They need to be comfortable. I don't want them to put pressure on my head or my ears. I want to be able to wear them for hours at a time without feeling like my ears are breaking off. I want them to be like squishy pillows cradling my ears. I want to forget that they're even on my head. :D Keep in mind that I'm a small girl with a small head who wears glasses on this point.
3. Leakage and isolation. I don't want them to leak a lot and I want really good passive isolation. I want to hear little to nothing of the outside world when I have them on at a reasonable volume. Another thing that infuriates me is having my headphones cranked pretty high and still hearing outside noises. No bueno.
4. Appearance matters. I know it shouldn't, but I can't help it. I need to like the aesthetics. These headphones would be at home plugged into my computer the majority of the time, but if I did feel inclined to go out with them, I don't want to have to feel self-conscious.
5. Price. I don't want to spend more than $150, shipping/fees/whatever else included. Unless I can be convinced that it's worth it. (I would consider it on the ATH-M50x, for instance.)
Other things that aren't necessarily requirements, but would be nice:
- Portability. If they fold up, that would be pretty cool.
- L-Shaped plug. The headphone jack on my laptop is at the front, so the cord for my MDR-V150s brushes on my legs sometimes and it can get highly annoying. The longest cable I'd want is 6 feet.
- Volume control on the cord.
- A nice carrying case/bag.
- Detachable cable.
The devices I'd be using for listening would be my laptop, Android tablet, and Android phone. The majority of my music is made up of metal with a smaller percentage of rock, pop, dance, and electronic stuff. I think that's about it... Hope it's not too much. :P Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I hope to make my purchase in the next few months.