I've been looking through headphones and IEMs for 2 weeks straight. This is ultra frustrating, similar to buying a car but not being able to test drive any first @_@. I figured I really needed to ask the experts what I should do. I have owned the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs for over a year now. They still sell for around $250.
Pic for reference:
What I like about them:
1. They are neutral sounding. I like to think I am hearing the sound as the producer intended it.
2. They have deep punchy bass. My main genres are trance and metal, and this phone supplies the right amount of bass for them.
3. They are all rounders. When it comes to music, I can be quite random. Power metal one hour, Slow jazz the next hour.
What I dislike about them:
1. They are uncomfortable with the glasses I wear. I don't really need to describe pain, do I?
2. They do not have enough sound stage. While I find myself gravitating towards signatures of monitor-type equipment, I recently desire a more open experience.
In the beginning, all I wanted was an IEM equivalent to the HD25....with more sound stage. But still good isolation. Kind of a unicorn. So then I thought....should I buy one pair of nice IEMs ~$400, or I should just buy cheaper IEMs with isolation and then larger over-the-ear headphones with sound stage to get the best of both worlds? Which scenario and phones would you recommend?
Top choices for me so far:
Portable use only:
Vsonic GR07: Seems to have the right signature, though maybe also recommend something with more isolation.
Home use only:
Sennheiser HD600: I constantly hear how much sound stage they have and how they are more comfortable.
End all, be all IEM: Honestly, there are too many to list.