or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Replacement Pads for Audio Technica ATH-M50S Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replacement Pads for Audio Technica ATH-M50S Questions

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

So I have been looking at Velour Pads to replace my old and cracked up original pads for my M50S.

 

I am wondering if sound will leak much more with the velour pads.

 

I am also wondering how will/much the velour pads change the sound of the headphones. I have read up on some and some say that the bass is noticeably like not as noticeable but I would like some more thoughts.

 

Are the velour pads more warm after a while since I do live in a fluctuating environment and it does get hot when it's summer.

 

And lastly, are there any other pads you would direct me into looking into?

 

I'm only looking at Amazon as of the moment so there's that and thanks! 

 

I'll edit or correct myself on something when something doesn't make sense or something.

 

EDIT: SOLVED. I'm going with the HM5 Thick Pads. These apparently fit according to a reddit post.


Edited by Feilong4 - 7/29/14 at 6:39pm
post #2 of 14
Head over to The Earpads Thread and take a look at the new HM5 Pleather and Velour pads I posted about, they might be exactly what your looking for. You will have to measure the M50 baffle to see if they would fit as I don't own M50's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639510/the-ear-pads-thread/270#post_10740633
post #3 of 14

I tried the Beyerdynamic velours on the M50 awhile back, and I remember it not sounding as good as with the stock ear pads. The bass sounded delayed and was more boomy and sloppy. The back of the Beyerdynamic velours are ported, so maybe taping over the holes might improve the sound. It's been awhile since I've heard that combo, but that's what I rememember.

 

I have tried numerous ear pads with the M50s, including all kinds of generics, and IMO the M50s sound best with the stock ear pads.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Head over to The Earpads Thread and take a look at the new HM5 Pleather and Velour pads I posted about, they might be exactly what your looking for. You will have to measure the M50 baffle to see if they would fit as I don't own M50's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639510/the-ear-pads-thread/270#post_10740633

Thanks and may I ask what is the "baffle" since I don't really know my terms.

 

EDIT: Also just looked at the driver sizes and the HM5's are 42mm and the M50S are 45mm so no idea if the driver sizes matter but just throwing it in just in case.

 

EDIT EDIT: According to a reddit post, they fit very well. So I think I might just get these so thanks a lot! Also, I might be getting the Thick Pads now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ffbeat View Post
 

I tried the Beyerdynamic velours on the M50 awhile back, and I remember it not sounding as good as with the stock ear pads. The bass sounded delayed and was more boomy and sloppy. The back of the Beyerdynamic velours are ported, so maybe taping over the holes might improve the sound. It's been awhile since I've heard that combo, but that's what I rememember.

 

I have tried numerous ear pads with the M50s, including all kinds of generics, and IMO the M50s sound best with the stock ear pads.

Thanks but I think I might try to experiment with other pads since the stock ones aren't exactly all the way around my ears and they get uncomfortable in a while. Hopefully, I could find one with deep earcups so my ears can breathe.


Edited by Feilong4 - 7/29/14 at 6:32pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

Thanks and may I ask what is the "baffle" since I don't really know my terms.

 

EDIT: Also just looked at the driver sizes and the HM5's are 42mm and the M50S are 45mm so no idea if the driver sizes matter but just throwing it in just in case.

 

EDIT EDIT: According to a reddit post, they fit very well. So I think I might just get these so thanks a lot! Also, I might be getting the Thick Pads now that I think about it.

Thanks but I think I might try to experiment with other pads since the stock ones aren't exactly all the way around my ears and they get uncomfortable in a while. Hopefully, I could find one with deep earcups so my ears can breathe.

 

If you pull the old pad off the plastic area underneath that attaches to the cup is the baffle.

:beerchug:

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

 

If you pull the old pad off the plastic area underneath that attaches to the cup is the baffle.

:beerchug:

Thanks! I was kind of guessing that that part was called the baffle but wasn't too sure. Thanks again for helping me find a pair of replacement pads!

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

Thanks! I was kind of guessing that that part was called the baffle but wasn't too sure. Thanks again for helping me find a pair of replacement pads!


You are most welcome, I hope the thick HM5 pads work out for you, I really like them on my GMP 8.300 D's.

:beerchug:

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 


You are most welcome, I hope the thick HM5 pads work out for you, I really like them on my GMP 8.300 D's.

:beerchug:

 

 

May I ask where you got your HM5 Pads? I am currently looking at some on MP4Nation but they seem to ship from China.

 

EDIT: Re-read your post and you got yours directly from Brainwavz so would you know if MP4Nation is a trustworthy website?


Edited by Feilong4 - 7/29/14 at 8:54pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post

May I ask where you got your HM5 Pads? I am currently looking at some on MP4Nation but they seem to ship from China.

EDIT: Re-read your post and you got yours directly from Brainwavz so would you know if MP4Nation is a trustworthy website?
The pads I got from Brainwavz were shipped from MP4Nation, fully trustworthy! I believe it is their retail outlet.
post #10 of 14

You can buy them in their NVX XPT100 clone variant from soniclectronix, they cost a bit more but will probably arrive sooner.

 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66626_NVX-XRE100S.html

 

 

 


Edited by 0ffbeat - 7/30/14 at 9:45pm
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ffbeat View Post
 

You can buy them in their NVX XPT100 clone variant from soniclectronix, they cost a bit more but will probably arrive sooner.

 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66626_NVX-XRE100S.html

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the help but I have already just placed an order on the HM5 Thick Pads. I'll consider these whenever the HM5 Thick Pads starts wearing away. ;)

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 

UPDATE: I can confirm that the HM5 Pads DO fit the Audio Technica ATH-M50S.

 

First Impressions:

 

The pads kind of cushion your ears farther away from the drivers giving it a more spacious sound instead of "In your head" kind of sound. I can't really note any other sonic differences between the regular pads and the new pads (mostly because I'm too lazy to switch in and out the pads).

 

The pads are really comfortable as they go over your ears unlike the stock pads as they went around and even touched my ears which was a little bit uncomfortable. 

 

I'll try to give a more in depth impression if I can later on (since I'm not that knowledgeable enough to make like a "review").

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by Feilong4 - 8/12/14 at 10:46am
post #13 of 14
Nice!

Enjoy the pads.
post #14 of 14

I have ordered these too. Waiting for them to arrive now. Got the brown colour from mp4nation. Love the colour. :D

I have the coiled version of M50 which is little too harsh in treble and little too boomy. Maybe because the speaker cloth has torn off from inside and the pads have inflated now. Since these pads are thicker than the original it should suit me better. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile also getting the new Fiio E17k. :L3000:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Replacement Pads for Audio Technica ATH-M50S Questions