Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › SennGrados- Sound and Price?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SennGrados- Sound and Price?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I've been planning to go test out some Grados (likely the SR225 and 325) at a local store, and hopefully purchase one if I like it. But the SennGrado mod caught my eye. I've never done any modding before on headphones, but this mod seems easy; just put the PX100 II drivers in the cups, and attach the headband and brackets. From what I can see, I could probably get a headband for ~$20, the PX100 II for about $30-$40, and the Vibro Classic Cups for $80, making my total around $140. My questions are:

-Is it possible to make the SennGrado for ~$140?

-Could someone with no experience in modding make these?

-How does the sound compare to the SR225 and the 325?

-What kind of sound do they have in general?

-Would these be good for mainly rock and metal?

-Which pads should I use with these?

-Which cups should I use for these?

 

I'll likely try out the Grado SR225 and 325 before I make my decision, but it would be great to know some more about them. I would love to get the SQ of a $200-$300 headphone with $140 and a small amount of work. Thanks to anyone who can help answer any of these questions.

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRapz View Post

I would love to get the SQ of a $200-$300 headphone with $140 and a small amount of work.

Then you could just spend $10 more, and get the Grado SR225i from Buy Sonic for $152 shipped. You need to register to see their product listings. This is a flash site for Sonic Electronix, a well known vendor in car audio.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Then you could just spend $10 more, and get the Grado SR225i from Buy Sonic for $152 shipped. You need to register to see their product listings. This is a flash site for Sonic Electronix, a well known vendor in car audio.

Woah, thank you very much for that. Sometime this weekend I'll likely be testing them out, which I would like to do before purchasing anything (I'd like to make sure the comfort isn't too terrible for me and that I like the sound, obviously). It says the deal will last 12 more days, which is great. 

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRapz View Post

Woah, thank you very much for that. Sometime this weekend I'll likely be testing them out, which I would like to do before purchasing anything (I'd like to make sure the comfort isn't too terrible for me and that I like the sound, obviously). It says the deal will last 12 more days, which is great. 

*If* they don't sell out. The consensus seems to be that the newly released SR225e is not better than the SR225i, just a little different. Given that the Grados are almost never discounted like this, they could disappear quickly. If you listen to them this weekend and like them, I wouldn't hesitate.

As for comfort, the pads do soften up a little through use (or you can soften them yourself). Keep that in mind if you try a new pair.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

As for comfort, the pads do soften up a little through use (or you can soften them yourself). Keep that in mind if you try a new pair.

I've heard of washing the pads, but I've heard this can hurt/change the sound. Have you had any change in the sound after doing this?

post #6 of 8
No. I used Dial pump hand soap. It just softened them a little.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

Could anyone give me any more info on the SennGrados?

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRapz View Post

Could anyone give me any more info on the SennGrados?

Check out the tour thread and the non-Grado driver thread. All will be revealed between those two.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › SennGrados- Sound and Price?