Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beyerdynamics DT880-250 ohms vs Sennheiser 598 (or something else)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamics DT880-250 ohms vs Sennheiser 598 (or something else) - Page 2

post #16 of 31
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, especially KG Jag. You've all been extremely helpful.
I was also looking for a good amp that could possibly power the DT880 250 ohms. I've seen some of the Schiit products, and even some of the lower tier amps are a bit expensive. Do you guys know of any cheaper amps that could possibly power the DT880 250 ohms?
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, especially KG Jag. You've all been extremely helpful.
I was also looking for a good amp that could possibly power the DT880 250 ohms. I've seen some of the Schiit products, and even some of the lower tier amps are a bit expensive. Do you guys know of any cheaper amps that could possibly power the DT880 250 ohms?

 

FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier ($60) can easily drive the 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.

Also the cMoy amplifiers ($31-$90, sold on eBay) should also have no problem driving 250-Ohm headphones.

post #18 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, especially KG Jag. You've all been extremely helpful.
I was also looking for a good amp that could possibly power the DT880 250 ohms. I've seen some of the Schiit products, and even some of the lower tier amps are a bit expensive. Do you guys know of any cheaper amps that could possibly power the DT880 250 ohms?

 

FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier ($60) can easily drive the 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.

Also the cMoy amplifiers ($31-$90, sold on eBay) should also have no problem driving 250-Ohm headphones.

Okay thanks. I'll take a look. I know I've seen the FiiO E11, and I think I might get the E11. I'll take a look at some of the cMoy too.

 

Thanks btw

post #19 of 31
Thread Starter 

One other thing

I was wondering if its better if i were to buy a DT770 250 ohms and the FiiO E11 instead of the DT880 250 ohms with an E11.

 

Can someone please tell me the difference between the two pairs. Especially when listening to EDM and for gaming.

 

Thanks

post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post
 

One other thing

I was wondering if its better if i were to buy a DT770 250 ohms and the FiiO E11 instead of the DT880 250 ohms with an E11.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the two pairs. Especially when listening to EDM and for gaming.

Thanks

 

To me the Dt880 sounds better (personal preference), plus open headphones usually offer better surround sound.

But if you need closed headphones, get the DT770s.

post #21 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
 Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post
 

One other thing

I was wondering if its better if i were to buy a DT770 250 ohms and the FiiO E11 instead of the DT880 250 ohms with an E11.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the two pairs. Especially when listening to EDM and for gaming.

Thanks

 

To me the Dt880 sounds better (personal preference), plus open headphones usually offer better surround sound.

But if you need closed headphones, get the DT770s.

 

I've read that the DT880's have a more neutral ("balanced"...?) tone than the DT770's. But I've also seen that the DT880's have a more neutral bass and better mids compared to the DT770's. They are also semi-open, which, like PurpleAngel said, is better for surround sound.

Where I've also seen that the DT770's have more recessed mids and a bigger bass, with a "V" sound signature. Can someone explain what the "V" means?

 

I'm afraid if I get the 880's, they won't suit the kind of music I listen to.

post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post
 

 

I've read that the DT880's have a more neutral ("balanced"...?) tone than the DT770's. But I've also seen that the DT880's have a more neutral bass and better mids compared to the DT770's. They are also semi-open, which, like PurpleAngel said, is better for surround sound.

Where I've also seen that the DT770's have more recessed mids and a bigger bass, with a "V" sound signature. Can someone explain what the "V" means?

 

I'm afraid if I get the 880's, they won't suit the kind of music I listen to.

 

"V" shaped sound means stronger bass and treble, which might overshadow the mids (vocals).

So if you like the vocals to stand out in your music, a "V" shaped sounding headphone would not be the best choice.

post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post
 
Quote:
 Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post
 

One other thing

I was wondering if its better if i were to buy a DT770 250 ohms and the FiiO E11 instead of the DT880 250 ohms with an E11.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the two pairs. Especially when listening to EDM and for gaming.

Thanks

 

To me the Dt880 sounds better (personal preference), plus open headphones usually offer better surround sound.

But if you need closed headphones, get the DT770s.

 

I've read that the DT880's have a more neutral ("balanced"...?) tone than the DT770's. But I've also seen that the DT880's have a more neutral bass and better mids compared to the DT770's. They are also semi-open, which, like PurpleAngel said, is better for surround sound.

Where I've also seen that the DT770's have more recessed mids and a bigger bass, with a "V" sound signature. Can someone explain what the "V" means?

 

I'm afraid if I get the 880's, they won't suit the kind of music I listen to.


The DT 880's are great all arrounders.  See this write-up on their very similar and slightly better 600 Ohm big brother:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

 

If your value mids (where things like guitars and vocals live) then the colored ("V" shaped sound signature) DT 770 is not the choice to make.  If you like any variety of music genre's, selecting the DT 770 is like playing an entire round of golf with only a five iron.

post #24 of 31
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I'm pretty sold on the DT880's with the FiiO E11.
Its just that the DT880's went up in price on amazon, so I think I'll just wait for them to go down in price now.

Thanks everyone

CrackerSmasher



P.S. Maybe i'll tell you guys how they sound when I finally get them.
post #25 of 31

I've used a DT880 -250 ohm with a Fio 11; I sold it after a week. These were my issues:

 

1. At comfortable listening levels, there just isn't much bass- tonally and viscerally. I kept wondering why I can't hear any drums. 

 

2. When you up the volume high enough, it sounds awesome, the bass is tight and powerful and not boomy. The treble has so much detail in them. But, then after half an our max, I realized it just was too loud for me and I would get my ears damaged. It was not a subjective thing, I can tell you, it had to be very loud to be enjoyable.

 

3. So at lower volumes where it's comfortable, external noise creeps in and you can't hear those sweet details. ( If you intend to use this in  a low noise environment, this won't be a problem for you).

 

I guess you have researched on the headphone, but take this to into account as well. I felt bad having to resell a brand new headphone at a lower price.

 

It was very comfortable on the ears, to be fair.

post #26 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomarkeu View Post
 

I've used a DT880 -250 ohm with a Fio 11; I sold it after a week. These were my issues:

 

1. At comfortable listening levels, there just isn't much bass- tonally and viscerally. I kept wondering why I can't hear any drums. 

 

2. When you up the volume high enough, it sounds awesome, the bass is tight and powerful and not boomy. The treble has so much detail in them. But, then after half an our max, I realized it just was too loud for me and I would get my ears damaged. It was not a subjective thing, I can tell you, it had to be very loud to be enjoyable.

 

3. So at lower volumes where it's comfortable, external noise creeps in and you can't hear those sweet details. ( If you intend to use this in  a low noise environment, this won't be a problem for you).

 

I guess you have researched on the headphone, but take this to into account as well. I felt bad having to resell a brand new headphone at a lower price.

 

It was very comfortable on the ears, to be fair.

Yes, thanks for the input. I understand that the E11's dont support (is that the right word?) up to 250 ohms, so this actually worries me. I know that if i cant find an amp in my budget, I might have to skimp on some things, or wait for a sale. 

 

At this point, I'm not planning on purchasing anything right now, so all I'm doing is researching some amps that can both do the job an fit in my budget.

 

Thanks for your thoughts

 

CrackerSmasher

post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerSmasher View Post
 

Yes, thanks for the input. I understand that the E11's don't support (is that the right word?) up to 250 ohms, so this actually worries me. I know that if i cant find an amp in my budget, I might have to skimp on some things, or wait for a sale. 

 

At this point, I'm not planning on purchasing anything right now, so all I'm doing is researching some amps that can both do the job an fit in my budget.

 

Thanks for your thoughts

 

CrackerSmasher

 

My FiiO E11 at near max volume, can decently drive my DT880 Premium 600-ohm headphones.

And with Beyer 250-ohm headphones, to get decent volume using my E11, the E11's volume knob needs to be at around 45%.

post #28 of 31
Quote:
 Yes, thanks for the input. I understand that the E11's dont support (is that the right word?) up to 250 ohms, so this actually worries me. I know that if i cant find an amp in my budget, I might have to skimp on some things, or wait for a sale. 

 

I don't know if you got my point right, but I'll clarify anyways. I was not talking about any problem with the amp or it's compatibility. I said that at normal loudness (at comfortable listening levels) DT880 -250 has very low bass. 

post #29 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
 
Quote:
 Yes, thanks for the input. I understand that the E11's dont support (is that the right word?) up to 250 ohms, so this actually worries me. I know that if i cant find an amp in my budget, I might have to skimp on some things, or wait for a sale. 

 

I don't know if you got my point right, but I'll clarify anyways. I was not talking about any problem with the amp or it's compatibility. I said that at normal loudness (at comfortable listening levels) DT880 -250 has very low bass. 

 

Oooh gotcha. Yeah I've read that the DT880's arent the best at the bass. Thats why im trying to find a good amp that could improve on the bass.

 

Thanks anyway

-CrackerSmasher

post #30 of 31

This might help you.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post
 

Try not to think of an amp as a tuner for frequency response.  An amp just allows the headphone to do its job.  An equalizer is used to boost frequency response.  To me I a can guarantee the AD700 will be too bass light for you.  The headphone is a midrange champ for the price, but there is hardly any bass to it.

 

What other headphones are you considering?

 

Why do you want an open headphone?

 

You can look into EQ programs or apps.  Just remember to get the better sound quality from an EQ system do not raise the frequency you want to hear more of, rather, lower all of the others equally and leave the one you want boosted at 0dB.  This prevents the program from distorting the signal.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beyerdynamics DT880-250 ohms vs Sennheiser 598 (or something else)