I'm looking to see which headphones are best to use for everyday listening of lots of different genres of music. A little first about my setup and what I currently use.
I do probably 80% of my listening on my computer and the other 20% on my smartphone. On my PC I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface as I also make music on my computer. This outputs to a pair of M-Audio AV30 speakers but I primarily use my Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones to act as monitors for when I'm making music. When I just want to listen to music as normal through iTunes etc then I have a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 headphones. As for my smartphone, I am using a pair of Sony MDR-10RBT bluetooth headphones with a Sony Xperia Z2 phone.
Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because I can't decide which of the two headphones to use when listening to music on my computer. I play a game called Audiosurf 2 a lot and so I probably play this for about 3-4 hours a day listening to various albums. I have a very wide range of music I like listening to and so rather than having a pair of headphones that are best for any one particular genre, I'd prefer something that can handle anything I throw at it. Today I was listening to Sunn O)))'s album Flight of The Behemoth which is very bass-heavy and distorted and while the Philips headphones had a lower bass sound, they sounded more sludgy and muddy which I assume is because they are a warmer headphone and open-backed. Whereas the Audio Technica headphones didn't sound as bass-heavy (something that Sunn O))) are known for) but they did provide a lot more detail and texture.
As for when I am making music and listening to a playback or mixing it, then I still notice the AT's tend to have more detail and texture but less bass and warmth whereas the Philips' are much warmer but I don't know if they replicate the sound you might get from a hi-fi very well.
I should also mention that the music files tend to be MP3's of 320kbps quality and I know this isn't the most high-fidelity sound (probably WAV or FLAC for this) but due to restrictions of space on my hard drive, I have to use MP3's as I have literally hundreds of albums that I am listening to.
Should I stick with the Audio Technica's purely for monitoring and making music and then just use the Philips for music playback or perhaps use the AT's for both or is there one fantastic pair of headphones out there that will do everything?
Thanks for any info.