Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments. - Page 31

post #451 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyleelee View Post

I have the same Tower of Power. No hiss from my Momentums. I am happily running the micro i-DSD in the stack in as we speak. The wife likes it too - that is saying something darthsmile.gif

Scratch that.....just me being an idiot. I failed to check which ports I removed the rubber covers from, I was using the s/Pdif port and the right rca doh!!

All good now, sounds lush.
Edited by Turrican2 - 8/20/14 at 11:36am
post #452 of 967
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican2 View Post


Scratch that.....just me being an idiot. I failed to check which ports I removed the rubber covers from, I was using the s/Pdif port and the right rca doh!!

All good now, sounds lush.

 

AH! 

 

Good deal!.  

 

Enjoy.  

 

At the moment I am listening to Kazuki Yamada conduct Bizet on Pentatone (Native DSD recording via Polyhymnia).

 

Amazing listening experience with iFi products.  

post #453 of 967
Thread Starter 

Okay, so all the headphones I have tired so far are of the low ohm variety, thus I have not even begun to stress the headphone amp in the iDSD. 

 

 

I am contemplating buying a 'flagship' headphone.  The Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.  It is 600 ohms.  Can anyone recount their experience with the Micro and higher ohm headphones?

 

I am positive that it will sound exemplary, but some first hand accounts are always an enjoyable read.

post #454 of 967
Guys, my blue light went off after nearly 4 hours of charging. Is it full? Should I use it and drain the battery or just wait?

(I haven't turned it on yet)
post #455 of 967

Anyone else getting a massive turn-on pop through the headphone amp section? The annoying part is this also occurs after you first try to play a track after the Micro resumes from sleep... and it goes to sleep even on USB Power after 15 minutes! (Why was auto-sleep on USB power made non-defeatable? Terrible decision.) RCA outputs appear clean though. I have a ticket open on this but so far no answer.

post #456 of 967


I ordered one today    I should have for Friday . looking to see how powerfull it is  any try HE6 cans  .

post #457 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post
 


I ordered one today    I should have for Friday . looking to see how powerfull it is  any try HE6 cans  .

Congrats!

Could you please compare it to the Hugo , and also try it with the HD800? Thanks.

post #458 of 967
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

Anyone else getting a massive turn-on pop through the headphone amp section? The annoying part is this also occurs after you first try to play a track after the Micro resumes from sleep... and it goes to sleep even on USB Power after 15 minutes! (Why was auto-sleep on USB power made non-defeatable? Terrible decision.) RCA outputs appear clean though. I have a ticket open on this but so far no answer.

 

On turn on and off, yes, a very slight pop.  Nothing major.  Massive is definitely not how I would describe it here.   I am not sure what you mean about going to sleep?  Mine once turned on stays in a ready state at all times.  Never experience the turn on pop, well, except for turn off and on.  

 

 

To avoid it, I just turn on before plugging my headphones in.  Once on, I leave it on.  Never happens again.  


Edited by MLGrado - 8/20/14 at 2:05pm
post #459 of 967
Thread Starter 

So I continue to experiment.  

 

My Grado RS1i's are sensitive phones, and as such even in eco mode some programming requires a lot of volume attenuation.  Sometimes getting really close to the point where the volume control zeros out, somewhere between 8 and 9 o'clock on the volume pot.

 

 

So I have been trying out the different IEM sensitivity settings, even though I am obviously not using an IEM :D

 

In the middle setting, I can actually use Turbo power mode with my headphones.  Typical listening is around 12 'oclock, more or less.  I have to say, I think I like it in this mode!  To my ear there may be a touch more presence and fullness to instruments, especially in the lower midrange.  It sounds a bit more 'fleshed out' and natural.  

 

So, even though those sensitivity settings seemed to have been aimed at super sensitive IEM's, don't be afraid to play around with them, regardless of headphone!

 

 

EDIT.. okay, well, maybe Turbo is still a bit much on some recordings!!! LOL.  But, it works really, really well for some!  In the end, I am liking the higher power modes combined with lower sensitivity settings... actually, I think this is the BEST my iDSD has yet sounded!


Edited by MLGrado - 8/20/14 at 3:36pm
post #460 of 967
Hahahaha it's nice to ask and I am going to for myself.
But please keep in mind I am locked out of the main Hugo thread for saying what I feel. And I line the Hugo and use it daily.
It's pretty good but some feel it's the best or should be said as such all the time.
So when I do and hear it. Pm me and I will say how I feel but post your self.
My intent is not to hurt vendors or product. I really do mean this but some others apparently do not like my views or suggestions.

Al
post #461 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGrado View Post
 

 

On turn on and off, yes, a very slight pop.  Nothing major.  Massive is definitely not how I would describe it here.   I am not sure what you mean about going to sleep?  Mine once turned on stays in a ready state at all times.  Never experience the turn on pop, well, except for turn off and on.  

 

 

To avoid it, I just turn on before plugging my headphones in.  Once on, I leave it on.  Never happens again.  

What the op is talking about is is the sleep(Hibernate) mode of the Micro which is set for 15 minutes on USB power or a few minutes on battery (not tested) when no signal is being send to the DAC. The micro will turn off and the LED will go out. This is to conserve battery power of the micro or USB power from a remote battery operated device. The OP is stating why have this for USB power.

post #462 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post
 

What the op is talking about is is the sleep(Hibernate) mode of the Micro which is set for 15 minutes on USB power or a few minutes on battery (not tested) when no signal is being send to the DAC. The micro will turn off and the LED will go out. This is to conserve battery power of the micro or USB power from a remote battery operated device. The OP is stating why have this for USB power.

 

Yup. The undefeatable sleep is pointless if one is using the Micro as an always-connected DAC for a plugged-in PC, which is what I think the primary use case would be, given the Nano is much more portable. Not having a turn-on muting relay is disappointing in-and-of itself, especially considering that Schiit now has these on much cheaper amps... but having to go through the turn-on dance every time you're away from your desk for 15 minutes is unacceptable. (The pop is loud enough, on full-size headphones, that I'm tempted to measure it with a multimeter to see if it's a damaging amount of voltage). Luckily I'm not getting this through the RCA outputs in direct mode, so no worries if you're just using the Micro as a DAC for another amp (which is what I'm planning to do).


Edited by Stereolab42 - 8/20/14 at 3:24pm
post #463 of 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGrado View Post
 

Okay, so all the headphones I have tired so far are of the low ohm variety, thus I have not even begun to stress the headphone amp in the iDSD. 

 

 

I am contemplating buying a 'flagship' headphone.  The Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.  It is 600 ohms.  Can anyone recount their experience with the Micro and higher ohm headphones?

 

I am positive that it will sound exemplary, but some first hand accounts are always an enjoyable read.

I have the Beyerdynamic Tesla T70 250 ohms and it is a comfortable good headphone. The T1 will have a bigger soundstage as heard from the last RMAF show. I had to turn the gain up a tiny bit more with the T70. I have not tried the Turbo mode on any of the headphones including my Fostex planner but that is for another day. Having said this, the headphone that really shines on my micro is my Sony 7520 which meets my definition of a "flagship" headphone. The 7520 has clarity and the transparent quality that my Stax has. My Stax does have a bit more extended treble and a falter bass.  The 7520 bass is bit hype up but did not bleed into the midrange. The micro just made the midrange on the 7520 the best I ever heard. The voices are so natural and realistic. My Stax is not as quite natural as my 7520 because I am more limited by the Stax amp that is needed to drive them. Just another option to consider.    


Edited by john57 - 8/20/14 at 3:40pm
post #464 of 967
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post
 

What the op is talking about is is the sleep(Hibernate) mode of the Micro which is set for 15 minutes on USB power or a few minutes on battery (not tested) when no signal is being send to the DAC. The micro will turn off and the LED will go out. This is to conserve battery power of the micro or USB power from a remote battery operated device. The OP is stating why have this for USB power.

 

Okay, i had actually never noticed that..

post #465 of 967
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

 

Yup. The undefeatable sleep is pointless if one is using the Micro as an always-connected DAC for a plugged-in PC, which is what I think the primary use case would be, given the Nano is much more portable. Not having a turn-on muting relay is disappointing in-and-of itself, especially considering that Schiit now has these on much cheaper amps... but having to go through the turn-on dance every time you're away from your desk for 15 minutes is unacceptable. (The pop is loud enough, on full-size headphones, that I'm tempted to measure it with a multimeter to see if it's a damaging amount of voltage). Luckily I'm not getting this through the RCA outputs in direct mode, so no worries if you're just using the Micro as a DAC for another amp (which is what I'm planning to do).

 

I understand your concern completely.  

 

But again, on my headphones, it is barely notable.  So much, that I had never even noticed the sleep mode issue.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.