Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread - Page 11

post #151 of 902

I´v just listened to Beethoven Symphony No. 9: http://www.hdtracks.com/classic-100-classical/beethoven-symphonie-no-9

This is one of the best classical recordings I have ever heard. And this symphony is also one of my favourites. It like it´s

made for Hugo + TH900. The soundstage is huge! But still you can hear every instrument like they had seperate mics. Extremely detailed.

This recording also has an insane dynamic range. Normally I have my volum somewhere around green. On this record I have my

volum well into the blue area without getting too loud. (And still there´s no hiss from silent parts of the album)

 

Just a little music tip if you´re into classical music. And if you´re not, you should still check out this record. ;)

post #152 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide View Post
 

I´v just listened to Beethoven Symphony No. 9: http://www.hdtracks.com/classic-100-classical/beethoven-symphonie-no-9

 

Thanks for the link.   Indeed, Since I love also the N°9 and I also have a HUGO+TH900, I gave this version a try.

 

I have to say that I find the Karajan version much more dynamic, but I agree that there is some annowing hiss in it.

 

I also have the Barenboim version. Quite dynamic also, without the hiss that i sin the Karajan version

 

All 3 are 24/96, so we can really compare.

 

[Mod Edit] Fixed first link...

post #153 of 902

Is that the same Barenboim as thishttp://www.hdtracks.com/beethoven-for-all-symphonies-1-9

The sound is ok, but the performance is not as good as the other versions I have. I believe it´s an amateur orchestra with youths from

the middle east performing. I bought the set with all 9 symphonies, but I haven´t listened to it much.

 

Btw, I use the first setting of crossfeed when I listen to this album (red light). It really opens up the soundstage. 


Edited by Eide - 8/8/14 at 1:50pm
post #154 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide View Post
 

Is that the same Barenboim as thishttp://www.hdtracks.com/beethoven-for-all-symphonies-1-9

The sound is ok, but the performance is not as good as the other versions I have. I believe it´s an amateur orchestra with youths from

the middle east performing. I bought the set with all 9 symphonies, but I haven´t listened to it much.

 

I believe it is not the same: mine is from the Staatskapelle Berlin, Orchestra. 

post #155 of 902
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

I am getting the cardas iem again, i am getting a positive vibe from this too.

ie800 and Hugo is great, dita truth and Hugo is even better!
Shh! Not supposed to be making me think about cheating on my IEs!

It is making me wonder though, how much better this can get!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Thanks for the link.   Indeed, Since I love also the N°9 and I also have a HUGO+TH900, I gave this version a try.

I have to say that I find the Karajan version much more dynamic, but I agree that there is some annowing hiss in it.

I also have the Barenboim version. Quite dynamic also, without the hiss that i sin the Karajan version

All 3 are 24/96, so we can really compare.

[Mod Edit] Fixed first link...
Thankfully not available to me in the UK - haha, I cannot be spending money on three versions of the same music, to compare - that really will bankrupt me biggrin.gif

Hugo is causing insomnia, I still maintain, as per an earlier post that Chord need to add a health warning to Hugo's packaging - "may interfere with sleep patterns and partner relations, use at your own risk"

Haha.
post #156 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

I am getting the cardas iem again, i am getting a positive vibe from this too.

ie800 and Hugo is great, dita truth and Hugo is even better!

Please no. Upgraditis might hit me. I love my ie800, and dita is available from one of my suppliers...
post #157 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Hugo is causing insomnia, I still maintain, as per an earlier post that Chord need to add a health warning to Hugo's packaging - "may interfere with sleep patterns and partner relations, use at your own risk"

Haha.

 

my night started with 'Porcupine Tree - Coma Devine (Live)' followed by 'The Cure - Disintegration' the latter being a very dark album with loads going on in the lower regions, separated quite admirably by Mr Hugo.... had to calm things down after those two so plonked on an album full of classics from a bygone era 'Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch of Schmilisson in the Night', this album is one of the late night legendry ones imo, a wonderful voice backed by a full Orchestra, the music from the likes of Irving Berlin don't get to sound much better.

 

have to agree Duncan, sleep is hard to come by at night... :blink: 

post #158 of 902

How about Hugo and Dita Answer vs Hugo and IE800?

post #159 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide View Post
 

I´v just listened to Beethoven Symphony No. 9: http://www.hdtracks.com/classic-100-classical/beethoven-symphonie-no-9

This is one of the best classical recordings I have ever heard. And this symphony is also one of my favourites. It like it´s

made for Hugo + TH900. The soundstage is huge! But still you can hear every instrument like they had seperate mics. Extremely detailed.

This recording also has an insane dynamic range. Normally I have my volum somewhere around green. On this record I have my

volum well into the blue area without getting too loud. (And still there´s no hiss from silent parts of the album)

 

Just a little music tip if you´re into classical music. And if you´re not, you should still check out this record. ;)


I'm struggling as I purchased the recording on your thoughts here, but find the opposite.

 

I have to turn the volume up to 80% volume to hear anything, whereas the rest I need it around 30%.

 

It sounds muffled and generally poor, so I am not sure what I have done wrong.

post #160 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannp View Post


I'm struggling as I purchased the recording on your thoughts here, but find the opposite.

I have to turn the volume up to 80% volume to hear anything, whereas the rest I need it around 30%.

It sounds muffled and generally poor, so I am not sure what I have done wrong.

Agree. You did nothing wrong: As I said above this revordong really Lack dynamic !
post #161 of 902

I´m sorry if I have misguided you into buying a record you didn´t like. I really enjoyed it on my Hugo.

It´s a record with a VERY large headroom in sound. I measured it. And it has a good dynamic range.

 

Ex. Adagio molto e cantabile has a peak value of - 14.65 dB and a average RMS of -37.83 dB wich

gives a dynamic range of 17.84 dB That is not unusual in classical recordings, but still very good.

 

That´s why you have to really crank up the volume to get satisfying listening levels. What impressed

me was that even playing this loud there was almost no hiss from the recording and the details of every

instrument was so stunning. To me at least. ;)

post #162 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannp View Post


I'm struggling as I purchased the recording on your thoughts here, but find the opposite.

I have to turn the volume up to 80% volume to hear anything, whereas the rest I need it around 30%.

It sounds muffled and generally poor, so I am not sure what I have done wrong.
The loudness war strikes again
post #163 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post


The loudness war strikes again


What is the loudness war?

 

I tried to explain the fact that this one particular recording was not great imho through my hugo compared to the others that I own.

 

Edit: I should add, that I am not blaming anyone but myself, as I blindly missed other posts on the subject and still purchased, so no issue to others, just expressing my opinion.


Edited by mannp - 8/10/14 at 8:50am
post #164 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannp View Post
 


What is the loudness war?

 

I tried to explain the fact that this one particular recording was not great imho through my hugo compared to the others that I own.

 

 

 

I get volume differences in some recordings, in some cases within the same album but that tends to be with compilations.

post #165 of 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

I am getting the cardas iem again, i am getting a positive vibe from this too.

ie800 and Hugo is great, dita truth and Hugo is even better!


tell me how the cardas iem works with hugo, I have shure 846

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread