Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread - Page 13

post #181 of 194
The few hp I've tried with angled drivers seem to do imaging and depth well. Not necessaRily soundstage, I think that's more dRiver tuning.

Imaging and soundstage to me is the weakest link on the SennGrado.
Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 11/13/14 at 1:54pm
post #182 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post
 

 Do you have reason to believe that angling the drivers improves imaging? 

 

In theory,

 

 

The ear canal isn't straight so angling a driver the same way is suppose to increase clarity, soundstage etc.  

post #183 of 194
A few angled off the top of my head are the SA1000,3000,5000, ma900, mdr-7520, then hd700/800, also all the new angle padded headphones achieving the same idea.
post #184 of 194

Coming from an SA5K owner, 

I would say that for those particular cans the soundstage and imaging are fantastic!

A little lacking in the bass department, But otherwise a very well designed headphone :)

post #185 of 194
I'm probably just spoiled from the he560. If my memory serves me right the ma900 has a considerable wider soundstage which I would think the sa5k would too?
post #186 of 194

Alright, so after A/Bing the tour model and my build, there doesn't seem to be much difference in FR or imaging/soundstage (using the same pad). I think the angle of the drivers inside the cup isn't enough to make an audible difference. Unfortunately more angle can't be achieved without altering the insides of the cup. Kinda wish I had the knowledge and tools to make cups.

Also, the pads that I have are the Earzonk pads and not the grado, the consistency and build is quite different being a single density throughout. The Grado pad that is with the touring has a stiffer foam on the bottom and top with softer foam in between. The difference here is qutie audible. The Grado pad has better treble air/extension and perceived clarity. The Earzonk has a warmer sound with the highs being rolled off and bass having a slight boost. Mids seem to be the same on both except for some encroachment of the mid bass into the lower mids on the earzonk (nothing drastic or concerning on most tracks). So the earzonk pads imo is a more relaxed and colored sound while the Grado pads has a more linear sound with less bass. 

Next up on the tour is Tyll for Innerfidelity, wonder if I should include the earzonk pads... @JoeDoe? I should be ready to ship to him on Monday.

 


Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 11/14/14 at 3:56pm
post #187 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 

Alright, so after A/Bing the tour model and my build, there doesn't seem to be much difference in FR or imaging/soundstage (using the same pad). I think the angle of the drivers inside the cup isn't enough to make an audible difference. Unfortunately more angle can't be achieved without altering the insides of the cup. Kinda wish I had the knowledge and tools to make cups.

Also, the pads that I have are the Earzonk pads and not the grado, the consistency and build is quite different being a single density throughout. The Grado pad that is with the touring has a stiffer foam on the bottom and top with softer foam in between. The difference here is qutie audible. The Grado pad has better treble air/extension and perceived clarity. The Earzonk has a warmer sound with the highs being rolled off and bass having a slight boost. Mids seem to be the same on both except for some encroachment of the mid bass into the lower mids on the earzonk (nothing drastic or concerning on most tracks). So the earzonk pads imo is a more relaxed and colored sound while the Grado pads has a more linear sound with less bass. 

Next up on the tour is Tyll for Innerfidelity, wonder if I should include the earzonk pads... @JoeDoe? I should be ready to ship to him on Monday.

 

 

Sad but true...the Ear Zonks don't have the different densities. I prefer the Grado ones....much to the detriment of my wallet.

post #188 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post
 

 

Sad but true...the Ear Zonks don't have the different densities. I prefer the Grado ones....much to the detriment of my wallet.

B&H has Grado pads for the same price as the Ear Zonks, I'll be ordering one next week so I can go warm or bright. With the DX100 warm is a good thing though.

post #189 of 194
Thread Starter 

Well gentlemen, we are reaching the last leg of the tour. Are there any other members who'd like to sign up while the cans are still traveling?

post #190 of 194

Hey @hemipowered007, here's your chance to try em out.

post #191 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Well gentlemen, we are reaching the last leg of the tour. Are there any other members who'd like to sign up while the cans are still traveling?


Hi,

 

I've been following this and other SennGrado-related threads with great interest! I've even put together SennGrado-type headphones using drivers from an original pair of PX100's and a pair of Koss KSC35 drivers, both of which have been improved dramatically by the application. I am, however, curious to try a pair with the Sennheiser PX100 II drivers that are so glowingly reported here! Having already owned the others, I thought I would start there before I invested in a new pair of PX100 II's, but now I'd like to make the comparison. So, could you include me on the list?

 

Thanks!

post #192 of 194
Thread Starter 
Read the original post to make sure you qualify and shoot me a pm you do with your information
post #193 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

Read the original post to make sure you qualify and shoot me a pm you do with your information


It appears I don't qualify. Thanks anyway.

post #194 of 194
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachpea View Post
 


It appears I don't qualify. Thanks anyway.


Not a problem! You should consider building one on your own. All parts can be had for relatively cheap!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread