Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. - Page 23

post #331 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoppenShloppen View Post
 

The ear pads are pleather. I think the rubber description on amazon is referring to the rubber coating on the cups. have't tried the akg k550, but their supposedly pretty similar.

 

thanks yeah had a feeling it was just the cups, pleather tends to get worn out after a good year.

 

Can't see any sites selling the replacement ear pads (originals) though online, anyone got any info or links ?

post #332 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyears View Post
 

Hi does anyone know what type of ear pads are used with these? they look pleather

 

Amazon mentioned the ear pads have some rubber on it to protect it ? is this true

 

I currently have AKG K550s but not sure if the HP150s would be an upgrade ?

 

I don't know the K550 but I have the K551 and the HP150.

 

The K551 have very spacious sound like the HP150. Actually their imagings and soundstage are pretty different, the K551 giving a feeling that you are in front seat just close to the instruments and singer, the HP150 is more distant. Both have excellent level of details for closed can at this price range, the HP150 is maybe -slighty- better here. The K551 lacks of impact in the bass for me, it makes me prefer the HP150. I also prefer the Soundmagic for its comfort, both AKG and Soundmagic have good ear comfort but I encounter some clamping pressure of the headband of the K551 after 1h30/2h of listening. I can use the HP150 for 3-4 hours without problem, and I don't consider the HP150's pads as extremely confortable. They do the job very well, but are limited for extra-extra-long sessions.

The HP150 is neutral and musical with a boost in the bass that I really appreciate. The K551 has also a neutral signature, colder, with less bass and so by contrast the mids/highs are more put forward but with good control, I feel no sibilance in the highs. So I don't think the HP150, though its impressive quality for its price, is a concrete upgrade from a K550/K551.

My personal next step for closed cans are the Audio Technica W1000X/W1000Z, they are told to have fantastic mids and soundstage.


Edited by hanouk - 2/26/15 at 2:17pm
post #333 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanouk View Post
 

 

I don't know the K550 but I have the K551 and the HP150.

 

The K551 have very spacious sound like the HP150. Actually their imagings and soundstage are pretty different, the K551 giving a feeling that you are in front seat just close to the instruments and singer, the HP150 is more distant. Both have excellent level of details for closed can at this price range, the HP150 is maybe -slighty- better here. The K551 lacks of impact in the bass for me, it makes me prefer the HP150. I also prefer the Soundmagic for its comfort, both AKG and Soundmagic have good ear comfort but I encounter some clamping pressure of the headband of the K551 after 1h30/2h of listening. I can use the HP150 for 3-4 hours without problem, and I don't consider the HP150's pads as extremely confortable. They do the job very well, but are limited for extra-extra-long sessions.

The HP150 is neutral and musical with a boost in the bass that I really appreciate. The K551 has also a neutral signature, colder, with less bass and so by contrast the mids/highs are more put forward but with good control, I feel no sibilance in the highs. So I don't think the HP150, though its impressive quality for its price, is a concrete upgrade from a K550/K551.

My personal next step for closed cans are the Audio Technica W1000X/W1000Z, they are told to have fantastic mids and soundstage.

 

 

 

Thanks appreciate the review, its pretty hard to find any AKG 550ish vs HP150s !

 

Only thing stopping me from getting an HP150 is lack of original ear replacement pads, dont fancy another AKG K550 finding ear pad replacement issues.


Edited by itchyears - 2/27/15 at 6:38am
post #334 of 341

Just got the HM5 Velour pads, there is no way these fit on my HP200's.

 

How did you get them on the 150's?

post #335 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyears View Post
 

 

Thanks appreciate the review, its pretty hard to find any AKG 550ish vs HP150s !

 

Only thing stopping me from getting an HP150 is lack of original ear replacement pads, dont fancy another AKG K550 finding ear pad replacement issues.

I use the COP pads which fit the HP100/150 pretty well.

post #336 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjitb View Post
 

Just got the HM5 Velour pads, there is no way these fit on my HP200's.

 

How did you get them on the 150's?

Patience and a lot of stretching.

 

A recommendation from @Baycode in another thread was to use a bicycle tire lever. Assuming the HP200 is the same size as the 150, they will fit. Just hook on side on the cup, then holding that in place, stretch the rest out. Another person mentioned earlier in the thread to get them completely over the groove first, then work on seating it. That helped me. Check back a few pages,  there should be some other posts on installing.

post #337 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post

I use the COP pads which fit the HP100/150 pretty well.

 



Sorry COP ear pads?

I tried to ebay/amazon search it but nothing much came up unless it was bose ear pads?
post #338 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyears View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post
 

I use the COP pads which fit the HP100/150 pretty well.

 



Sorry COP ear pads?

I tried to ebay/amazon search it but nothing much came up unless it was bose ear pads?

I think they're referring to Beyer Custom One Pro

post #339 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trev View Post
 

I think they're referring to Beyer Custom One Pro

Yep, those pads.  Also I've read about positive results with W1000 pads.

post #340 of 341

thanks quick amazon check and spotted them for £17 and W1000 pads for £25. I may still email the manufacturer to find out if they sell the originals :)

post #341 of 341

Also does the HP150s cable wire, twist and curl and tangle itself up ?

 

I have this issue with my AKG K550s can be a bit of a pain at times almost yanking my neck in middle of the night, the audio technica A900s cable never tangled or curled.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread.