New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are these O2 amps legit?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

There are only two options for the O2 amp on Amazon (without the dac), and I was wondering if either of the two options were legitimate O2 amps. Here is one of the links:

http://smile.amazon.com/Objective2-headphone-amplifier-JDS-LABS/dp/B00E0DMCO0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405197742&sr=1-2&keywords=o2+amp

The reason I was wondering about this one was that it is imported from Japan, which seems odd to me since they are made in the US. The next one was:

http://smile.amazon.com/Objective2-Headphone-adapter-batteries-installed/dp/B00E0RKQC6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405197742&sr=1-1&keywords=o2+amp

 

I was wondering about this one, since it seems like there is at the very least some customization done to it. The reason that I would prefer to get an amp on Amazon instead of buying directly from the JDS or Mayflower websites is that I have enough money in Amazon gift cards to buy these amps straight up. I would really appreciate any help in identifying these as genuine O2 amps, or if anyone here has bought either of these from Amazon before, I would really appreciate your input!

post #2 of 10

Get the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier (on Amazon), $99+shipping.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
I would prefer the O2. Is there any reason you suggest the Magni over the O2?
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarora2012 View Post

I would prefer the O2. Is there any reason you suggest the Magni over the O2?

 

The Magni is almost $50 cheaper and should drive just about any headphone you might buy.

I own the JDS O2 and really like it, but the Magni is a better price.

post #5 of 10
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy directly?
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/
It's $130 here
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
@PurpleAngel, I read that the Magni adds a bit more coloration to the sound signature than the O2 does, and seeing as how I'm using dt770s, I'm not sure I would want it to be any more colored than it already is. I also like that I can use the O2 with batteries so that I can use it in the car or in a plane.

@Bobby12, like I stayed in the original post, I have enough money in Amazon gift cards to buy the amp without spending any of my own money.
post #7 of 10

Well there are more than two options.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E0DMCO0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00E0RKQC6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

 

You can see there are quite a few unique ones there, some with AC connections and no battery support at all.  I guess that rules out the three options in the second link, which are labeled as Mayflower versions.  The ones in the first link claim to be from JDS Labs.  


Edited by Rhamnetin - 7/12/14 at 9:36pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarora2012 View Post

@PurpleAngel, I read that the Magni adds a bit more coloration to the sound signature than the O2 does, and seeing as how I'm using dt770s, I'm not sure I would want it to be any more colored than it already is. I also like that I can use the O2 with batteries so that I can use it in the car or in a plane.

@Bobby12, like I stayed in the original post, I have enough money in Amazon gift cards to buy the amp without spending any of my own money.

 

Guess ordering an O2 off Amazon, is in your future.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarora2012 View Post

@PurpleAngel, I read that the Magni adds a bit more coloration to the sound signature than the O2 does, and seeing as how I'm using dt770s, I'm not sure I would want it to be any more colored than it already is. I also like that I can use the O2 with batteries so that I can use it in the car or in a plane.

There have been enough arguments (and fan boys of each) regarding which is better, the O2 or Magni, that they are comparable. I wouldn't put much stock in described sound differences.

But good point about the portable use. That is the advantage of the O2 smily_headphones1.gif

My personal preference is to deal with JDS Labs over Mayflower (whether or not you buy through Amazon), based on some experience with both.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

There have been enough arguments (and fan boys of each) regarding which is better, the O2 or Magni, that they are comparable. I wouldn't put much stock in described sound differences.

But good point about the portable use. That is the advantage of the O2 smily_headphones1.gif

My personal preference is to deal with JDS Labs over Mayflower (whether or not you buy through Amazon), based on some experience with both.

Well then I guess it is a good thing that I went with the JDS Labs one, simply because I couldn't stand the idea of having a red power button.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home