Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Introduction and Request of Assistance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Introduction and Request of Assistance - Page 2

post #16 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

I've been using Spotify for a few years, but yeah I've got a good CD collection as well.  Guess it's time to get burning.  Wonder how long it will take to fill up a 1 TB HD?  I wish Spotify offered higher quality streaming.  Does anyone know if there is a plan for this kind of streaming service?

 

I'll keep watching this site - just another obsession to add to my list.  Next I want to get some earbuds for work (to be used with my mobile phone). Probably spend  A LOT less on those.  I'm afraid to ask for a recommendation.  Although, I think I need to make custom fitting caps or whatever you call them - my ears are sensitive to things being put in them.

 

Thanks again for your comments, advice and recommendatins. I'll update this thread after I've received them!


The term you meant is ripping, not burning. I highly recommend dBpoweramp for that. There is a free 21 day trial which downgrades to a permanent free version that you never need to upgrade unless you want the extra features. (If you need any help using it, just ask.)

 

Even if you prefer the convenience of lossy formats, always rip your CDs to lossless. You can then convert those files to any other format you desire. (dBpoweramp is great here as well.) To save time, you can use the Multi-Encoder to rip to multiple formats at once.

 

You can never convert between lossy formats without damaging the fidelity. If you ever need to convert a lossy file (such as for compatibility reasons with exclusive digital content), convert it to lossless; it will retain the quality of the lossy file you converted from, at the expense of added file space. You can also never convert that lossy-to-lossless file to lossy again without further damaging it, since it is already lossy. Thus, the importance of keeping a lossless backup if possible.

 

Compressed lossless formats like FLAC and Apple Lossless reduce the original uncompressed file size by 20-50%. If your average single-disc album takes up, say, 350 MB, you would be able to fit over 2,800 albums into 1 TB. I have a 12 TB external hard drive array that is nearly full due to my mad experiments. :veryevil:

 

There are lossless streaming services out there, though I doubt any can match what an in-house system is capable of.

 

For what it's worth, I can't listen to cheap earbuds. I don't know of any that sound remotely listenable...and I don't have direct experience with high-end in-ear monitors, which are said to sound amazing.


Edited by Music Alchemist - 7/12/14 at 3:23pm
post #17 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 


The term you meant is ripping, not burning. I highly recommend dBpoweramp for that. There is a free 21 day trial which downgrades to a permanent free version that you never need to upgrade unless you want the extra features. (If you need any help using it, just ask.)

 

Even if you prefer the convenience of lossy formats, always rip your CDs to lossless. You can then convert those files to any other format you desire. (dBpoweramp is great here as well.) To save time, you can use the Multi-Encoder to rip to multiple formats at once.

 

You can never convert between lossy formats without damaging the fidelity. If you ever need to convert a lossy file (such as for compatibility reasons with exclusive digital content), convert it to lossless; it will retain the quality of the lossy file you converted from, at the expense of added file space. You can also never convert that lossy-to-lossless file to lossy again without further damaging it, since it is already lossy. Thus, the importance of keeping a lossless backup if possible.

 

Compressed lossless formats like FLAC and Apple Lossless reduce the original uncompressed file size by 20-50%. If your average single-disc album takes up, say, 350 MB, you would be able to fit over 2,800 albums into 1 TB. I have a 12 TB external hard drive array that is nearly full due to my mad experiments. :veryevil:

 

There are lossless streaming services out there, though I doubt any can match what an in-house system is capable of.

 

For what it's worth, I can't listen to cheap earbuds. I don't know of any that sound remotely listenable...and I don't have direct experience with high-end in-ear monitors, which are said to sound amazing.

you sir... are mah new bestie!

 

But yea, Flac I have found tends to sound better... I wont get into "WHICH MASTER SOUNDS BEST" as thats not nessicary

 

as far as lossy goes, you can use EAC Exact Audio Copy to get High Fidelity Rips, it will also rip and auto convert to flac [it rips a wav then convertst to flac, then deletes the wav] I like DB power amp, I use it when I want to encode lossy from my flacs, but for ripping right into FLAC I have found EAC to be the best :3 

 

and as far as ear buds go... look up the name jokerll he has a giant comparision thread you might want to serach in xD 

post #18 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

you sir... are mah new bestie!

 

But yea, Flac I have found tends to sound better... I wont get into "WHICH MASTER SOUNDS BEST" as thats not nessicary

 

as far as lossy goes, you can use EAC Exact Audio Copy to get High Fidelity Rips, it will also rip and auto convert to flac [it rips a wav then convertst to flac, then deletes the wav] I like DB power amp, I use it when I want to encode lossy from my flacs, but for ripping right into FLAC I have found EAC to be the best :3 

 

and as far as ear buds go... look up the name jokerll he has a giant comparision thread you might want to serach in xD 

 

AKUUUU!!! lol, episode 48 of Samurai Jack is epic.

 

I actually have multiple copies of my collection ripped with both programs in various formats. What do you like more about EAC for FLAC rips? The only reason I would use both nowadays is for error correction, like when one does a better job than the other ripping a clean copy of a scratched CD.

 

Many people (including music professionals with decades of experience) have reported that uncompressed formats (WAV, AIFF) sound better to them than compressed lossless (FLAC, ALAC). I want to scientifically test this some day. During my own listening tests in the past, sometimes I felt that it sounded better, but if there were any differences, they were only slight.

 

I just use AIFF to keep things simple, since it doesn't take up that much more space and has better metadata support than WAV.

 

On an unrelated note, I used to love visiting Myrtle Beach about twenty years ago!


Edited by Music Alchemist - 7/13/14 at 1:00am
post #19 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

 

AKUUUU!!! lol, episode 48 of Samurai Jack is epic.

 

I actually have multiple copies of my collection ripped with both programs in various formats. What do you like more about EAC for FLAC rips? The only reason I would use both nowadays is for error correction, like when one does a better job than the other ripping a clean copy of a scratched CD.

 

Many people (including music professionals with decades of experience) have reported that uncompressed formats (WAV, AIFF) sound better to them than compressed lossless (FLAC, ALAC). I want to scientifically test this some day. During my own listening tests in the past, sometimes I felt that it sounded better, but if there were any differences, they were only slight.

 

I just use AIFF to keep things simple, since it doesn't take up that much more space and has better metadata support than WAV.

 

On an unrelated note, I used to love visiting Myrtle Beach about twenty years ago!

20 YEARS ago, hmmm, anime avatar, should be around early to mid 30's.... visted with your parents MAYBE

 

and yea... I have my doubts as to weather the uncompressed and compressed lossless sound different. Could be the lack of ****s I have to give today but who knows....

 

as for EAC, I do a lot of "digital archiving" and have found it to be the better for error correction and the accurate rip feature of EAC. Not to mention FREE WARE, but ofc I still use DB to transcode lossless into lossy formats 

post #20 of 121
Thread Starter 

So I just got my HE 400's and the AKG K712 Pro's.  I haven't gotten the Schiit Asgard 2 Amp so I'm running them both of the Audioengine D1 - which I don't think is necessarily driving them sufficiently.  Still they are both Amazing.  I also ran them off my Astro 5.8 wireless mixamp while playing Call of Duty on my XBOX one - they both blow my Astro A50/A40's out of the water (although they are just stereo - I need the wired version, which I ordered, to simulate 7.1).  I'm not sure if I could say I prefer one over the other - although I'm liking the Bass on the HE 400's.  Someone please tell me how I'm supposed to decide... The K712's are lighter - but I like the hearty feeling of the 400's.  I'm going to have to give them long sessions and see what it feels like after a few hours.  Both are such quality products.  I'll let you know what I think in a few days.

 

While evaluating these "cans" (is that the right term?) what are the primary things I should be looking at when making this decision.  Much thanks!

post #21 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

So I just got my HE 400's and the AKG K712 Pro's.  I haven't gotten the Schiit Asgard 2 Amp so I'm running them both of the Audioengine D1 - which I don't think is necessarily driving them sufficiently.  Still they are both Amazing.  I also ran them off my Astro 5.8 wireless mixamp while playing Call of Duty on my XBOX one - they both blow my Astro A50/A40's out of the water (although they are just stereo - I need the wired version, which I ordered, to simulate 7.1).  I'm not sure if I could say I prefer one over the other - although I'm liking the Bass on the HE 400's.  Someone please tell me how I'm supposed to decide... The K712's are lighter - but I like the hearty feeling of the 400's.  I'm going to have to give them long sessions and see what it feels like after a few hours.  Both are such quality products.  I'll let you know what I think in a few days.

 

While evaluating these "cans" (is that the right term?) what are the primary things I should be looking at when making this decision.  Much thanks!

honestly, the only thing to worry about is which to your ears sounds better, which do you enjoy more. As far as weight goes, you adjust to the "heft" of the HE 400 in like a week. I understand they are heavy at first, but seriously after a week or so it's nothing. But spend a good week with them, the best way to do it would be spend ONE entire day with only ONE headphone, then the next day the other. That way each day you will hear the "contrast" between the two, try to play, watch and listen to simmilar music.

 

But seeing as these are your first headphones, pick the one you like the most, the one that sounds the best, the one that feels the nicest in your hands and on your head. Oh also wait for the Asgard 2 before you return em, 

 

but do spend a week with em on your D1, then teh Day your Asgard 2 arrives, give each of them a last listen and pick ur fav. Not sure how long u have to return to Amazon... so don't kill ur window lol but spend as much as you can wid em without swtiching every 10 mins, which I hard to do [I know] or better yet, take little notes if you are hearing something that you like, write it down on paper, write down what you were listening to when you "heard it" too 

 

but most of all enjoy ur listening, dont make a chore out of it, but it will be more rewarding in the long term to figure out what you like and dislike about each one, but focus on your "likes" focus on what each does good, and when you compare see which set of "good things" you like the most, or look for contrats, something the K712 Pro does GOOD that the HE 400 does not, and vice versa 

post #22 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

20 YEARS ago, hmmm, anime avatar, should be around early to mid 30's.... visted with your parents MAYBE

 

and yea... I have my doubts as to weather the uncompressed and compressed lossless sound different. Could be the lack of ****s I have to give today but who knows....

 

as for EAC, I do a lot of "digital archiving" and have found it to be the better for error correction and the accurate rip feature of EAC. Not to mention FREE WARE, but ofc I still use DB to transcode lossless into lossy formats 


You're close, but I'm not exactly "visted" with my parents, if that means living with them, lol. If I hadn't made unwise investments in the past, I would have easily been a millionaire by now - not to brag.

 

In theory, they should always sound identical on the same system. It's just that enough people have reported otherwise to warrant further research on my part.

 

Both programs support AccurateRip. The error correction is the only reason I keep EAC installed.

post #23 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

So I just got my HE 400's and the AKG K712 Pro's.  I haven't gotten the Schiit Asgard 2 Amp so I'm running them both of the Audioengine D1 - which I don't think is necessarily driving them sufficiently.  Still they are both Amazing.  I also ran them off my Astro 5.8 wireless mixamp while playing Call of Duty on my XBOX one - they both blow my Astro A50/A40's out of the water (although they are just stereo - I need the wired version, which I ordered, to simulate 7.1).  I'm not sure if I could say I prefer one over the other - although I'm liking the Bass on the HE 400's.  Someone please tell me how I'm supposed to decide... The K712's are lighter - but I like the hearty feeling of the 400's.  I'm going to have to give them long sessions and see what it feels like after a few hours.  Both are such quality products.  I'll let you know what I think in a few days.

 

While evaluating these "cans" (is that the right term?) what are the primary things I should be looking at when making this decision.  Much thanks!

 

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. I think planar magnetic (as opposed to dynamic, electrostatic, and piezoelectric) headphones offer the most versatility, which is why I want to build my first full-size rig around them. If you want an efficient way to decide, gather a playlist of your favorite songs in all the genres you like. Try pinpointing which frequencies they excel at, as well as aspects such as imaging, soundstage, dynamics, etc. You already know you prefer the bass of the HE-400. I get the feeling you will be more impressed with how they scale on a more powerful amp.


Edited by Music Alchemist - 7/13/14 at 8:56pm
post #24 of 121
Thread Starter 

Well I've listened maybe 3 or 4 hours, and I'm already gravitating toward the HE 400's. They feel "richer" to me - if that makes any sense at all.  Maybe there is just more supporting them or something.  Physically, I love their heft as well - although I may get the replacement/comfier head pad, not sure I need it as of yet.  

 

I'll give them both a good few days each before I decide.  But, I get the sense the HE 400's are easier to appreciate for a neophyte like myself.  

 

On a side note, the wife is not in love with how much sound they emit.  I told her they're for when she goes to bed.  :)

 

On another side note - I feel like I'm rediscovering music for the first time.  Listening to the Mass Effect sound track - so much texture!  And those base lines (some kinda cello) - gah! Amazeballs!

 

Can't wait for the Amp, they're saying Tuesday delivery.  Great advice thus far Mshenay and Music Alchemist...thank you for being so welcoming.  I've never had so much fun being ignorant in my life.

post #25 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

Well I've listened maybe 3 or 4 hours, and I'm already gravitating toward the HE 400's. They feel "richer" to me - if that makes any sense at all.  Maybe there is just more supporting them or something.  Physically, I love their heft as well - although I may get the replacement/comfier head pad, not sure I need it as of yet.  

 

I'll give them both a good few days each before I decide.  But, I get the sense the HE 400's are easier to appreciate for a neophyte like myself.  

 

On a side note, the wife is not in love with how much sound they emit.  I told her they're for when she goes to bed.  :)

 

On another side note - I feel like I'm rediscovering music for the first time.  Listening to the Mass Effect sound track - so much texture!  And those base lines (some kinda cello) - gah! Amazeballs!

 

Can't wait for the Amp, they're saying Tuesday delivery.  Great advice thus far Mshenay and Music Alchemist...thank you for being so welcoming.  I've never had so much fun being ignorant in my life.

 

Not surprised at all. I bet you'd flip out if you heard the HE-6 with a speaker amp!

 

I collect video game soundtracks (especially in the Final Fantasy series), but haven't gotten around to Mass Effect yet. I'm upset that I didn't snatch up the Skyrim soundtrack box set before it sold out from the website.

post #26 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

Well I've listened maybe 3 or 4 hours, and I'm already gravitating toward the HE 400's. They feel "richer" to me - if that makes any sense at all.  Maybe there is just more supporting them or something.  Physically, I love their heft as well - although I may get the replacement/comfier head pad, not sure I need it as of yet.  

 

I'll give them both a good few days each before I decide.  But, I get the sense the HE 400's are easier to appreciate for a neophyte like myself.  

 

On a side note, the wife is not in love with how much sound they emit.  I told her they're for when she goes to bed.  :)

 

On another side note - I feel like I'm rediscovering music for the first time.  Listening to the Mass Effect sound track - so much texture!  And those base lines (some kinda cello) - gah! Amazeballs!

 

Can't wait for the Amp, they're saying Tuesday delivery.  Great advice thus far Mshenay and Music Alchemist...thank you for being so welcoming.  I've never had so much fun being ignorant in my life.

xD I'm glad you like it, the positive side of things is... you can and might want to consider investing into a headphone Called the Alpha Dog, it's simmialr to the HE 400 [Planar magnetic, rich sound] and best of all it's CLOSED back so no leaking, you can also try the Mad Dog which is about the same price of the K612 Pro that you have, the benifit is the Mad Dog is great for when the Wife is in bed or you want some isolation, even on the Go

 

where as the HE 400 is nice for when ur at home, the wife is up and she don't mind the noise! 

 

Welcome to head fi btw, sorry about your wallet xD

 

LASTLY, I think you will be in for a treat when u hear the HE 400 out of the Asgard 2! 

post #27 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

xD I'm glad you like it, the positive side of things is... you can and might want to consider investing into a headphone Called the Alpha Dog, it's simmialr to the HE 400 [Planar magnetic, rich sound] and best of all it's CLOSED back so no leaking, you can also try the Mad Dog which is about the same price of the K612 Pro that you have, the benifit is the Mad Dog is great for when the Wife is in bed or you want some isolation, even on the Go

 

where as the HE 400 is nice for when ur at home, the wife is up and she don't mind the noise! 

 

Welcome to head fi btw, sorry about your wallet xD

 

LASTLY, I think you will be in for a treat when u hear the HE 400 out of the Asgard 2! 

 

I second that. I haven't heard all these headphones, but have read hundreds of reviews.

 

The MrSpeakers Alpha Dog begins to approach the quality of the also-closed-back Audeze LCD-XC, at a third the price.

post #28 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

xD I'm glad you like it, the positive side of things is... you can and might want to consider investing into a headphone Called the Alpha Dog, it's simmialr to the HE 400 [Planar magnetic, rich sound] and best of all it's CLOSED back so no leaking, you can also try the Mad Dog which is about the same price of the K612 Pro that you have, the benifit is the Mad Dog is great for when the Wife is in bed or you want some isolation, even on the Go

 

where as the HE 400 is nice for when ur at home, the wife is up and she don't mind the noise! 

 

Welcome to head fi btw, sorry about your wallet xD

 

LASTLY, I think you will be in for a treat when u hear the HE 400 out of the Asgard 2! 

So I've been rocking the HE 400's with the Asgard 2 for two days now and loving them! EXCEPT, they're a tad uncomfortable.  That being said, I'm wearing them like five hours straight....  So, I'm thinking about modding the ear pads to get some more comfort..because the sounds is unbelievable..and I'll be honest..ive just been streaming Spotify so far.  At least it's premium. :)  I also took up your advice and got the Mad Dogs - figure they're good enough for me..but yea, I almost go the Alpha Dogs.  But, I think the base will be fun for gaming on the Mad Dogs.  Figured I have a good enough Amp to drive em..so what the heck!

post #29 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

So I've been rocking the HE 400's with the Asgard 2 for two days now and loving them! EXCEPT, they're a tad uncomfortable.  That being said, I'm wearing them like five hours straight....  So, I'm thinking about modding the ear pads to get some more comfort..because the sounds is unbelievable..and I'll be honest..ive just been streaming Spotify so far.  At least it's premium. :)  I also took up your advice and got the Mad Dogs - figure they're good enough for me..but yea, I almost go the Alpha Dogs.  But, I think the base will be fun for gaming on the Mad Dogs.  Figured I have a good enough Amp to drive em..so what the heck!


Barbaric Barbarian be ballin'! :p

post #30 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

So I've been rocking the HE 400's with the Asgard 2 for two days now and loving them! EXCEPT, they're a tad uncomfortable.  That being said, I'm wearing them like five hours straight....  So, I'm thinking about modding the ear pads to get some more comfort..because the sounds is unbelievable..and I'll be honest..ive just been streaming Spotify so far.  At least it's premium. :)  I also took up your advice and got the Mad Dogs - figure they're good enough for me..but yea, I almost go the Alpha Dogs.  But, I think the base will be fun for gaming on the Mad Dogs.  Figured I have a good enough Amp to drive em..so what the heck!

Glad your liking it! There are actually new Ear Pads for the HE 400, check the Hifiman Website they have new angled pads now that are more comfortable and improve the overall sound and comfort of the HE 400, they are like $40 or so

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Introduction and Request of Assistance