or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio X3 or Sansa Clip?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm buying myself a new portable music setup for long trips on a bus.
I've already decided on getting the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B and now I'm looking to get an music player.

Now I've heard of the Fiio X3's amazing sound quality but the price is quite a stretch for me, especially because I'm already spending on the headphones.
Another option is the cheaply priced Sansa Clip+. 

So my question is how big is the difference? You might not call me a huge audiophile but I do have respect for exact and high quality music.

But is the 160$ difference worth it?

post #2 of 9
ATH-ANC7B sounds like crap already. Not much you can do. I'd just get the sansa clip since it seems to be more within your budget. Unless you also want the USB DAC function of the x3.
If you actually want high quality sound then you'd get some real headphones instead of ANC ones, or IEMs since they are great for portable use.
Edited by bobby12 - 7/6/14 at 1:38pm
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

I don't know man, I heard they're pretty good for noise cancelers. 

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymfarhi View Post

I don't know man, I heard they're pretty good for noise cancelers
I'm just trying to say there's limitations to what you can do. Even if you pair it with the AK240 it wouldn't sound great or anything compared to regular headphones within that price range.
Those types of headphones you're using don't really need amps and the improvement an amp can give is minor. It's kind of why you don't see people pairing their apple earbuds with audiophile DAPs. Their phone is good enough for what they use it for.
But it is your money so feel free to spend it however you wish.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymfarhi View Post
 

Hi, I'm buying myself a new portable music setup for long trips on a bus.
I've already decided on getting the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B and now I'm looking to get an music player.

Now I've heard of the Fiio X3's amazing sound quality but the price is quite a stretch for me, especially because I'm already spending on the headphones.
Another option is the cheaply priced Sansa Clip+. 

So my question is how big is the difference? You might not call me a huge audiophile but I do have respect for exact and high quality music.

But is the 160$ difference worth it?

 

I liked using my Clip Zip, switched over to a Sony E474 for the bigger screen.

If you get the Clip + or Clip Zip., install the Rockbox firmware.

post #6 of 9
Just know that with active noise cancelling headphones, you are taking a big hit on SQ over what you could get with your money. Get some that have OK passive noise cancelling instead if audio quality matters a lot.

The Clip+ and Clip Zip are quite good. For less money than the X3, you could get a Clip, a Samsung EVO 32GB microsd, and an Anker 10000mAh battery backup device and listen to the Clip for many, many hours with lots of music with you smily_headphones1.gif
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I liked using my Clip Zip, switched over to a Sony E474 for the bigger screen.
If you get the Clip + or Clip Zip., install the Rockbox firmware.

Yeah, I've heard I should get the rockbox. But does it change sound quality? Or just user interface?
Basicly asking what is it good for?
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymfarhi View Post


Yeah, I've heard I should get the rockbox. But does it change sound quality? Or just user interface?
Basicly asking what is it good for?

I didn't notice any difference in sound quality, but with rockbox you do get superior EQ. I'm not a fan of EQing, but the EQ on stock firmware makes the music sound muddy (I have a sansa clip zip and fuze). I rockboxed both my sansas because rockbox could load my SD cards quickly. The media refreshing on stock firmware takes far too long. Also, some bad tags in your music files can cause sansas w/ stock firmware to crash; this can be solved by cleaning the tags, but I've never encountered this sort of problem after installing rockbox. Other than that you can install custom themes.

 

I'd recommend the Clip cause of it's price, and you could add the rest of the money to your headphone funds and get better ones. I haven't heard those audio technicas you mentioned but if what the other posters say is right, then you should just go for a clip and better headphones. I have a clip zip and an E17 (X3 is basically the E17, but as a music player) and it's not like there's a day and night difference between the two.

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Well, I guess you all might be right about the Audio Technicas not being the best but right now I need noise cancelers, and for NC's these have gotten good reviews. If I want really good SQ I'll just listen to my current headphones at home through my soundcard on my computer. But right now I need travelling headphones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home