Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Mini-M8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Centrance Mini-M8 - Page 2

post #16 of 53
Shall it drive AlphaDog? The hp requires power...
post #17 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyDiamond View Post

Shall it drive AlphaDog? The hp requires power...

From the Centrance updated website:

`Mini-M8 is ideally suited for driving IEM headphones. Our flagship HiFi-M8 continues to be our most powerful amp -- it drives the most challenging over-head cans in the world. But if you prefer IEM listening, you don't need all that power -- and then Mini-M8 is for you!`

 

;)


Edited by ExpatinJapan - 7/19/14 at 2:27pm
post #18 of 53
I think mini-m8 would drive alpha dogs well, especially in the balanced configuration. We will try again next weekend in Washington at the captial audiofest if they are there and I will report.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBiotek View Post

I'm sure mgoodman will chime in again, but no, I don't believe he means to imply there will be a mod available. The mini M8 is a lot less powerful than the original; generally, less powerful amps will have a lower noise floor.



To mgoodman: Could you tell use what headphone and iem models were used to test the mini? I do sometimes use my M8 with my ciems, but I barely get any play with the volume pot, and there is definitely some background hiss.
We tried our standard assortment of headphones and feel that noise floor is low enough to be unnoticeable, even with balanced armature phones. Remember, there is a 3-position gain switch that may help dial in the level just right. On the left, at the lowest gain setting, the noise is lowest of all.
Edited by mgoodman - 7/19/14 at 5:58pm
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodman View Post

We tried our standard assortment of headphones and feel that noise floor is low enough to be unnoticeable, even with balanced armature phones. Remember, there is a 3-position gain switch that may help dial in the level just right. On the left, at the lowest gain setting, the noise is lowest of all.
Thank you for your input. I am looking forward to trying it out with my ciems (already placed my order!)
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post


Volume done in the digital domain or analog?
- Digital this time. Perfect stereo tracking, never a scratching noise in the pot, long life.

What cables, case, separator etc will be included?
- Have not made final decisions yet. Power supply for sure

Gain selections, output impedance, power output?
- Specs coming soon.
post #22 of 53

Last question...

 

How is input selection handled?  Is it that while the toslink/coax input is connected it overrides everything else and the usb switch controls whether it is a PC or iDevice?  Or does the switch's middle position double as the toslink/coax selection?

post #23 of 53

Would the mini m8 work with iDevices via the CCK without using a powered USB hub (for DSD and Hi-res PCM)?

post #24 of 53
I want one of this...
post #25 of 53
Thread Starter 
Its good to see Centrance coming to this thread and answering our questions promptly.
Thanks!
post #26 of 53

 

Getting the Coaxial Cable ready for the Mini-M8

P.S> will be using DX90 as source

post #27 of 53
Thread Starter 

Some photos which I think are from Capital Audiofest.

 

Mini-M8 with the AK100 (?)

Hifi-M8 and Mini-M8.

 

 

Quite a size difference, more pocketable.

 

Mini-M8 and AK240.

 

 

Mini-M8 and Hifiman 901.

post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Last question...

How is input selection handled?  Is it that while the toslink/coax input is connected it overrides everything else and the usb switch controls whether it is a PC or iDevice?  Or does the switch's middle position double as the toslink/coax selection?
Exactly as you said above. When you plug in the 3.5mm jack, USB and iPhone get disconnected and Mini-M8 listens to the SPDIF input. It auto-selects coax or optical.

The unit needs to be ON, which means that the source/power switch on the back panel need to be in either the left or right position. In the middle position the unit is OFF and neither input works.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post

Would the mini m8 work with iDevices via the CCK without using a powered USB hub (for DSD and Hi-res PCM)?
I don't remember trying this recently, but the behavior would be exactly the same as that of the HiFi-M8. If someone tried that with HiFi-M8, please post here.
post #30 of 53
A couple more pics from Washington DC...


Edited by mgoodman - 7/26/14 at 8:19pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Centrance Mini-M8