Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › New speaker amplifier advice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New speaker amplifier advice.

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Lets see where I should start.  My audio system for my PC is in my sig.  I just did a comparison between my AudioSource Amp-100 and my Magni for driving Heaphones.  The AudioSource amp just isn't as good as the Magni for headphones (obviously) but I'm wondering how much I'm losing out on my speakers.  I know the bass and treble quality is a HUGE difference between the Magni & Amp-100 so an amplifier that excels at being more full range would be ideal.  If I were to look for a better amplifier what would folks recommend?  I'd like to avoid anything with a DAC since I have the BiFrost uber already.  No sense in getting something with a DAC I don't need - with luck someone knows of a good amplifier with the money that would be used for DAC circuitry instead being put into the quality of the amplifier. 

As for a budget I'm hoping for something around 250-300 USD.   Thanks for any advice.

post #2 of 13

Or you could go with active speakers that have built-in amp and not worry about a separate amp component. If you browse the "Introductions, Help and Recommendations" forum here you will find many similar inquiries with a variety responses and budgets. You should be able to get something pretty decent with your budget.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

I really don't want to go with another set of speakers since I have the ARX ones.  They sound far better than my Infinity P163 did with a t-amp and the only thing that might compare would be a Klipsch 2.1 system.  I don't really want a subwoofer (Unhappy wife) either.  I'm hoping someone here has recommendations for an amp that's better than the AudioSource.  Bonus would be it having 2 sets of switchable speaker outputs so I can have my bookshelf speakers on one and my Can Opener + headphones on another -if- it sounded better than my Magni. Ideally though I'm just hoping to find something better for the speakers themselves.

post #4 of 13

Got it. Straight up amps I'm not that familiar with so I will shut up but I do recommend keeping your wife happy.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

For now I pulled my Pioneer 1021-k upstairs and i'm going to try it out with the Can Opener.  Not sure how it'll work.  Since I don't as of yet have the proper remote for the receiver I don't have Zone 2 functionality so it's manually playing with the banana plugs.  I'll at least see how the headphones sound :-p

post #6 of 13
Yeah. Audiosource amps are sort of very low budget quality. I think you could definitely improve by getting a new one. Are your speakers the ARX a1b? If so, you are right about not buying powered monitors. $500 or $600 powered speakers would not give you better sound.

The Emotiva mini-X a-100 gets great reviews for a small power amp if you do some research. They are out of stock at the moment, but Emotiva also used to have a professional installer division and made the Sherbourn PA 2-50. Same amp section as the mini-X with some slightly different features.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

I found a Marantz SR7000 receiver on ebay so I'm going to be using that on the PC.  I'll keep my Pioneer VSX 1021k on my PS3 entertainment center in the living room.   Got lucky on it :)

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
 

Lets see where I should start.  My audio system for my PC is in my sig.  I just did a comparison between my AudioSource Amp-100 and my Magni for driving Heaphones.  The AudioSource amp just isn't as good as the Magni for headphones (obviously) but I'm wondering how much I'm losing out on my speakers.  I know the bass and treble quality is a HUGE difference between the Magni & Amp-100 so an amplifier that excels at being more full range would be ideal.  If I were to look for a better amplifier what would folks recommend?  I'd like to avoid anything with a DAC since I have the BiFrost uber already.  No sense in getting something with a DAC I don't need - with luck someone knows of a good amplifier with the money that would be used for DAC circuitry instead being put into the quality of the amplifier. 

As for a budget I'm hoping for something around 250-300 USD.   Thanks for any advice.


Virtually every modern HiFi solid state amplifier has a flat frequency response in the audible spectrum.  You won't affect the bass reproduction of speakers with an amplifier.  You need to do that with the speakers and/or subwoofer you choose.  Here's a shot taken under my personal computer desk.  Guess where the bass comes from.

 


Edited by blades - 7/4/14 at 9:21am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtar View Post

I found a Marantz SR7000 receiver on ebay so I'm going to be using that on the PC.  I'll keep my Pioneer VSX 1021k on my PS3 entertainment center in the living room.   Got lucky on it smily_headphones1.gif

That'll be a nice unit smily_headphones1.gif
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blades View Post
 


Virtually every modern HiFi solid state amplifier has a flat frequency response in the audible spectrum.  You won't affect the bass reproduction of speakers with an amplifier.  You need to do that with the speakers and/or subwoofer you choose.  Here's a shot taken under my personal computer desk.  Guess where the bass comes from.

 

Hi-Fi yes - the AudioSource isn't Hi-Fi by any stretch.  It works well, but there is a considerable quality difference between the Pioneer 1021k & the AudioSource.  Perhaps it's just at certain volumes or it's just my ears, I'm not sure.  I'm much happier with the actual receiver though than the amp.  The audiosource does well in my garage on my P163 speakers.  Sounds better than the DTA-1 I had out there :-p

post #11 of 13
Nice sub. What kind is that? Is it a BIC F12?
post #12 of 13

Yes, that one is a BIC F12.  I have 4 audio systems throughout the house and all of them have subwoofers.  This one is inexpensive, fits under the desk (barely) and sounds fine since it doesn't have to play loud.  A perfect choice for personal computer audio.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
 

Hi-Fi yes - the AudioSource isn't Hi-Fi by any stretch.  It works well, but there is a considerable quality difference between the Pioneer 1021k & the AudioSource.  Perhaps it's just at certain volumes or it's just my ears, I'm not sure.  I'm much happier with the actual receiver though than the amp.  The audiosource does well in my garage on my P163 speakers.  Sounds better than the DTA-1 I had out there :-p

 

I don't have any experience with Audiosource.  The receiver you see sitting on the sub is a very inexpensive stereo unit from Teac.  It's a bit large and ungainly for the application but I took out of a storage closet in which it had been sitting for 10 years so the price was right.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › New speaker amplifier advice.