Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review - Page 8

post #106 of 549
I now have over 100hrs of burning on these so will start my review tomorrow. As they sit now the bass has just a hint of extra mid bass but it is not unpleasant or detractive in my opinion.

Tried the black tips tonight and they definitely increase the brightness of the sound maybe a bit to much for me. I will do some testing on the train tomorrow to decide.
post #107 of 549
Actually I switched back to the grey tips already. Definitely a difference between the tips, I wish there was a set right between the two sonically but will live with the grey as it is a bit easier on my ears.
post #108 of 549
I really love to see A detailed impressions against bwavz S1....as its an upgrade to it tbh.....anyone???

To me,(and others) I can say theres a new metal shell design, strain relief in the ear-pieces side trimmed down and straight 3.5mm jack externally,tho.......besides standard accessories.

But being an S1 owner is it an worthy upgrade?to B3,tenores,kc06/A,vsd1/s/le,vsd3/s..........all being very affordable pricing to me comparitively than S5!!!.
post #109 of 549
I may have the S1 kicking around. I will check tomorrow and see, if I do I will write up a comparison.
post #110 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post

I really love to see A detailed impressions against bwavz S1....as its an upgrade to it tbh.....anyone???

To me,(and others) I can say theres a new metal shell design, strain relief in the ear-pieces side trimmed down and straight 3.5mm jack externally,tho.......besides standard accessories.

But being an S1 owner is it an worthy upgrade?to B3,tenores,kc06/A,vsd1/s/le,vsd3/s..........all being very affordable pricing to me comparitively than S5!!!.

 

    even if these are behind re-400 , i can tell you that s5 is better then vsd1 for sure . i dont have any other phones you have mentioned but , yes its worth their bucks .

post #111 of 549
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post

I really love to see A detailed impressions against bwavz S1....as its an upgrade to it tbh.....anyone???

To me,(and others) I can say theres a new metal shell design, strain relief in the ear-pieces side trimmed down and straight 3.5mm jack externally,tho.......besides standard accessories.

But being an S1 owner is it an worthy upgrade?to B3,tenores,kc06/A,vsd1/s/le,vsd3/s..........all being very affordable pricing to me comparitively than S5!!!.

I haven't had my S1's for awhile, so it wouldn't be fair for me to do a comparison from memory. But I can say that the Brainwavz lineup has always been about improvements, better quality, better sound, better design. The S5's are the best they have done in a single driver IEM yet, I like the overall signature quite a bit. These have become my go to's now, and that's saying a lot. For the money, they are definitely worth it, try them out.

post #112 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman134 View Post

    even if these are behind re-400 , i can tell you that s5 is better then vsd1 for sure . i dont have any other phones you have mentioned but , yes its worth their bucks .

Yeah RE400 is a class of its own,true sub $100 IEM for sure...... And VSD3S is definitley a step above to VSD1' line-up,for just $38, <~20/25usd to original launch price of VSD1s. Im still enjoying the sound of vsd1LE though my vsd3S treating my ears good....,
So looks like to me, some miles to go, to see some comparison pouring in.
post #113 of 549

I still use the S5 more than RE-400, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my Hifiman atm.

I think S5 is very much like Brooko stated in the Altone thread. I'll snip some of his comment and quote it. (hope he doesn't mind)

It kind of stuck with me last night and I'd already been thinking it.

Quote:

I'd honestly take the DN-1000, or the Altone200 over the SE535's I used to own.  I've got a $100 Brainwavz S5 with me as well this week, and it's the best Brainwavz offering I've heard since the B2, and there's the RockJaw Alfa Genus I just finished reviewing as well.  Both of those should be in higher price brackets as well IMO.   Good time to be a portable music lover! 


I can agree with that for sure, having owned B2 for a while. Brainwavs S5 imo is like a cheaper dynamic offering with great performance for $99.00.
 

post #114 of 549
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 

I still use the S5 more than RE-400, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my Hifiman atm.

I think S5 is very much like Brooko stated in the Altone thread. I'll snip some of his comment and quote it. (hope he doesn't mind)

It kind of stuck with me last night and I'd already been thinking it.

Quote:


I can agree with that for sure, having owned B2 for a while. Brainwavs S5 imo is like a cheaper dynamic offering with great performance for $99.00.
 

Really? You think the S5's compare to the B2's?? I'm breaking out my set and doing a comparison as I type this. I honestly don't like to compare apples to oranges(single driver to dual)during a test, but if this is true then Brainwavz may have done even better than I thought. Will report back later on this one :)

post #115 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post

Really? You think the S5's compare to the B2's?? I'm breaking out my set and doing a comparison as I type this. I honestly don't like to compare apples to oranges(single driver to dual)during a test, but if this is true then Brainwavz may have done even better than I thought. Will report back later on this one smily_headphones1.gif

No no, their best offering SINCE the B2, not from a competitive perspective between them. Sorry for the confusion.

I did try S5 from Sony NWZ-F806 a few nights ago but found myself straight back to C3. They just didn't sound as clean from the walkman. My two Studio V units hiss too much with them to bother.
post #116 of 549
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


No no, their best offering SINCE the B2, not from a competitive perspective between them. Sorry for the confusion.

I did try S5 from Sony NWZ-F806 a few nights ago but found myself straight back to C3. They just didn't sound as clean from the walkman. My two Studio V units hiss too much with them to bother.

Gotcha...at least this made me take out my B2's, haven't in quite awhile---I really love them! On another note, I'm getting a Colorfly C3 in tomorrow, can't wait to try it out with the S5's. I'll use all the tips I read from you and others in the C3 appreciation thread and will do a video review of it with it set up correctly. I may even do a tutorial on how to use it properly during the video, we will see.

post #117 of 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
 

Gotcha...at least this made me take out my B2's, haven't in quite awhile---I really love them! On another note, I'm getting a Colorfly C3 in tomorrow, can't wait to try it out with the S5's. I'll use all the tips I read from you and others in the C3 appreciation thread and will do a video review of it with it set up correctly. I may even do a tutorial on how to use it properly during the video, we will see.



If you have any questions concerning C3 let us know, sometimes it can be slightly daunting at first though just give us a yell.


There's little workarounds we have up our sleeves for file sorting, and keeping things in order.

post #118 of 549
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 



If you have any questions concerning C3 let us know, sometimes it can be slightly daunting at first though just give us a yell.


There's little workarounds we have up our sleeves for file sorting, and keeping things in order.

I actually read all 140 pages of comments on them over the last few days. I'm a smart guy, I listen to others for the least amount of headaches possible when using a new toy :wink_face: I will indeed be on that thread myself, expect it :) 

 

And now back to our regularly scheduled S5 thread :D


Edited by dragon2knight - 7/10/14 at 6:16am
post #119 of 549

I also have a review pair coming. A person at Brainwavz emailed me a couple nights ago asking if I wanted to try a pair, so why not. The only source I have though is a Galaxy S4 smartphone with Neutron music player. We will see how they pair.

post #120 of 549
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
 

I also have a review pair coming. A person at Brainwavz emailed me a couple nights ago asking if I wanted to try a pair, so why not. The only source I have though is a Galaxy S4 smartphone with Neutron music player. We will see how they pair.

Nice to see a fellow NY'r getting them in, look forward to your impressions :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review