or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ~$200 Open Over-Ear HPs For Rock/Metal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~$200 Open Over-Ear HPs For Rock/Metal?

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 

I've been interested in getting a decent home system that can be moved around easily. I've ordered a FiiO X3 for portable use but for my home system I'll be going X3 Line Out > Schiit Magni > Open Over-Ear Headphone. I've now got to figure out what I'll be getting for HPs. I've got the Shure SRH440, which I use with an iPod Touch 4G or Nokia Lumia 520 mainly. I enjoy the sound from these, but I want something better for home use. I usually listen to all forms of rock and a few types of metal. I also listen to some earlier hip hop/rap and folk. I've been looking at a few headphones, mainly the AKG Q701 and the Sennheiser HD598, and I'd like what I get to be good with rock/metal. I can't demo anything unfortunately, so I need some help choosing. I'm probably the opposite of a basshead; I think the bass on the SRH440 is fine (many say it lacks bass), but I wouldn't mind a little more. From research, I've heard the AKG has great speed (good for metal) but many say rock/metal don't do well on it. On the other hand, I've heard the HD598 is slow and has the "Sennheiser veil." I would like to have very clear headphones with the least veil possible. I've considered the HD600, but I don't want to spend more than ~$200 for headphones. Comfort and durability should be decent as well. I'd prefer to hear from people who have heard both so that I can get a good comparison, but any help would be appreciated. If there are other headphones in this range that do well with rock and have a mostly neutral sound, please let me know and a comparison or explanation of the sound would be incredibly helpful. Thanks for your help and for taking the time to read this.

post #2 of 51

If the comfort is OK for you (everyone is different), the new Grado SR 225e (or older i) is a great choice.

post #3 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post
 

If the comfort is OK for you (everyone is different), the new Grado SR 225e (or older i) is a great choice.

Totally forgot to mention Grados; I'm not a fan of on-ear headphones and comfort is somewhat important. I would prefer something that goes completely around the ear. Sorry for not mentioning that, and thanks for your suggestion.

post #4 of 51
Also check into the K612 Pros. A little bit different sound sig from the Q701s.
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRapz View Post
 

Totally forgot to mention Grados; I'm not a fan of on-ear headphones and comfort is somewhat important. I would prefer something that goes completely around the ear. Sorry for not mentioning that, and thanks for your suggestion.

have u tried grado ? u should at least try it. the sound will change your mind  ;) they're perfect for metal.

post #6 of 51

Yep +1 for Grado. If not, then you could check out the Beyerdynamic DT990.

post #7 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohurric4ne View Post
 

have u tried grado ? u should at least try it. the sound will change your mind  ;) they're perfect for metal.

I would love to try an over-ear Grado; I don't like on-ears at all, way too uncomfortable. Is there any way to create a completely over-ear Grado (totally around the ears) with different pads that keep the sound mostly the same?

post #8 of 51
Unfortunately no. I've heard almost every grado and grado variation and no attempt at a circumaural has come close.
post #9 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Yep +1 for Grado. If not, then you could check out the Beyerdynamic DT990.

I've heard these described as having quite a bit of bass; I'd prefer a more neutral can with less emphasis on the bass.

post #10 of 51
Then go for the DT880!
post #11 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

Then go for the DT880!

I haven't researched this as much as the HD598 and Q701, but it was something that I was thinking about. Have you tried this HP with rock/metal? Is it neutral and clear, and fast enough for metal? And also, which version should I go with?

post #12 of 51
I've had the 250 version and loved it for rock based stuff. Large soundstage, rich textured mids, clear highs. Not as aggressive as Grados but still plenty fun. Can't say much about speed metal but Pantera, SOAD, and AC/DC all sounded just fine.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRapz View Post
 

I would love to try an over-ear Grado; I don't like on-ears at all, way too uncomfortable. Is there any way to create a completely over-ear Grado (totally around the ears) with different pads that keep the sound mostly the same?

quite sure that the sr225e is an over ear headphone 


Edited by audiohurric4ne - 7/1/14 at 4:11am
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohurric4ne View Post
 

quite sure that the sr225e is an over ear headphone 

Quite wrong :D

 

Just teasing, but honestly, despite the way those pads look, the rest on the ears instead of over them. There's not a Grado in the world that is over-ear (unless you consider their G-cush pads circumaural. For most they sit 'around,' but still touch the ear.

 

Actually, to the OP, you may be interested in giving them a go.

 


Edited by JoeDoe - 7/1/14 at 4:37am
post #15 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Quite wrong :D

 

Just teasing, but honestly, despite the way those pads look, the rest on the ears instead of over them. There's not a Grado in the world that is over-ear (unless you consider their G-cush pads circumaural. For most they sit 'around,' but still touch the ear.

 

Actually, to the OP, you may be interested in giving them a go.

 

That may work if they don't touch the ears as much, but they still seem slightly uncomfortable and the pads may cost too much (I'd prefer not to spend over $200). I'll look into these more, thanks for the suggestion. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

I've had the 250 version and loved it for rock based stuff. Large soundstage, rich textured mids, clear highs. Not as aggressive as Grados but still plenty fun. Can't say much about speed metal but Pantera, SOAD, and AC/DC all sounded just fine.

Those bands are actually some of the main ones I listen to, so I'll look a bit more into these as well. Was this the Pro or Premium version of the 250? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ~$200 Open Over-Ear HPs For Rock/Metal?