Gee, you sure took a lot of pictures of Gibosi... >.>
Thanks as always for putting together a great meet. It was nice to see everyone again.
I guess I should put some impressions in the impressions thread, huh?
- I finally got to listen to the Alpha Dogs. Sounded pretty good. Didn't have as much bass thump as I'd expect from closed cans. Then again, the last closed headphone I'd listened to before this one was the LCD-XC so I don't know how fair of a comparison that is. Anyway, I like them, but at that price I think I'd almost rather save a bit more and get a Fostex TH-600.
- Never heard a Bryston amp and heard the BHA-1. Liked it a lot. Did an A/B using the LCD-X with the Audio GD Phoenix and the Bryston and it was night and day. That Bryston can make those Audezes sing! Should have A/B'd it with the Mjolnir but didn't get the chance. From memory I think I liked the Xs with the Bryston more than the Mojo, but I'd have to give them both a listen again.
- Comparing a Hifiman HE-500 to my Senn HD650s has finally led me to a conclusion: to my ears the 650s always have their distinctive Senn sound regardless of amp which honestly makes them not so great for detecting differences between amps. That's not a bad thing, mind you. It just means they work really well with a lot of amps at different prices.
- On a related note, using the HE-500s made it much easier to pick out subtle differences between amps in A/B tests. Maybe it's just orthos. At the very least I continue to be surprised at how the Valhalla can run several of them decently well without causing unlistenable levels of distortion.
- I like the looks of the V-Moda XS, but it barely fits on my head. Didn't listen to them for that reason. Laugh it up, Lord_tris.
- Those HD800s don't isolate at all, do they. Still, I want a pair. That hasn't changed.
- The Grado sound from the sr325 has grown on me. Out of my uberfrost/valhalla stack, they make rock sound very pleasing. I hope I can get in on wave 2 of the Grado demos and try the rs1 or something to hear how the high-end Grados sound. If they can take some of the shrill edge off, I could totally see myself getting a Grado down the road.
- So many DAPs...
That's all that comes to mind right now. I had a great time and am already looking forward to the next one. I'll bring my camera next time as well and we'll go ahead and bury this thread in photos.