Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread. - Page 9

post #121 of 1414
Although this will probably sound like an ignorant comparison to you, bear with me for a moment.

How do these sounds like compared to, say, a pair of SE315's or 425's? I am contemplating picking up a pair, but I have noticed that I can get these for (close to) the same price. Would this be a better direction to direct my money?
Edited by DubHead - 7/8/14 at 7:50pm
post #122 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHead View Post

Although this will probably sound like an ignorant comparison to you, bear with me for a moment.

How do these sounds like compared to, say, a pair of SE315's or 425's? I am contemplating picking up a pair, but I have noticed that I can get these for (close to) the same price. Would this be a better direction to direct my money?

 

Depends on your preference.  I used to own both.  315's didn't really gel with me.  Loved the SE425.

 

Quick description - but remember I haven't had the Shures for more than a year, and I've only had the Altones for a couple of hours.

 

  • SE315
    Forward mids, but I found them a little metallic / nasal rather than normal Shure mids
    Treble was OK - most Shures have some roll-off both ends
    Bass was bigger than 425 - but not what I would call exceptional quality (a bit loose)
  • SE425
    Typical Shure mid range, slightly forward and really smooth.  Vocals are focus - and everything very soothing
    Has both bass and treble roll-off
    Detailed and articulate but not bright
    Probably most neutral IEM in Shure's line-up (215-535)
    Because it is so flat - a lot of people regard them as boring or uninspiring.  I sold the 425's in search of more treble and bass extension, and got some of that with the 535 Special Edition - but mids too forward for my tastes.  The 425 is an IEM I would repurchase.  I loved it - many will not.
  • T-Peos Altone 200
    Slight V shape (I'm hearing) - but it's not massive.  Reminds me a little of the Beyer DT880 - but with more (and better) bass impact
    Bass is gorgeous - not over-bearing - but really present in music that has bass emphasis.  Hard to describe - it's not the focus, and it's not a warm or dark sig - but the bass is there when you need it.
    There is a brightness in the upper mids, and top end - but it's not too much for me.  I think some who are treble sensitive may struggle though. So far (in about 2 hours of constant listening) I've only encountered a very small bit of sibilance, and it hasn't annoyed me so it's not glaring (track was very well mastered - Diana Krall's "Love Me Like A Man" off the album The Girl In the Other Room).
    Bass is really well separated from the mid-range - and from what I'm hearing, there might be a small dip in the lower mids, but it's not hurting anything - rather giving a sense of clarity.

 

In short (and remember this is my own personal bias):

SE315 - meh.  Not bad once upon a time - does vocals well - but a little metallic sounding, otherwise uninspiring for the price.

SE425 - great if you like really neutral.  Clear but polite.  You might find it lacking both impact and sparkle

Altone200 - brighter side of neutral, but with great bass impact when called for, and very, very clear.  Exciting signature - a little V shaped - but mids not really recessed.

post #123 of 1414
Subbed.
post #124 of 1414

I'm annoyed at myself to be considering this, but is there any advantage to getting the Altone 200 for a H-300 owner, apart from comfort?

 

Can someone give a more detailed breakdown of the difference in sound?

post #125 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdy View Post

I'm annoyed at myself to be considering this, but is there any advantage to getting the Altone 200 for a H-300 owner, apart from comfort?

Can someone give a more detailed breakdown of the difference in sound?
Probably H300 should be slightly ahead of altone200. Have the H300 and it's really nice already.
post #126 of 1414

I've been asked by a couple of people to directly compare the Altone 200 with the Dunu-1000, so I spent about an hour and a half tonight comparing the two.

 

Please note:

  • I level matched as closely as I could but even with an SPL meter it's really hard, mainly because they have slightly different mid-range presentations, and using test tones to balance them doesn't actually end up with a volume balance the way I would listen.
  • I am not treble sensitive (at all).  I genuinely liked (have owned) headphones like the SR325i, K701, RS1, DT880 and T1.
  • Although I've owned a lot of brighter cans - my preferred signature is one with a lot of balance - but natural sounding
  • This is my very subjective opinion, and I rushed it - and it's blinkin' hard to A/B two IEMs when they are quite a bit different. 

 

 

Tracks I listened to can be found here : http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks

Comparisons all made with FLAC files on a Fiio X5 - no EQ.

 

So ........

 

 

DN-1000

  • Vocals are slightly more forward - esp female vocals
  • Need slightly more power to volume match the Altone 200
  • Can be a slight stridency in some tracks (female vocals) where song is naturally 'forward' - more upper mid emphasis?
  • Male vocals tend to be a little further back
  • Vocals generally a little 'richer' than the Altone200

 

Altone-200

  • Slightly more bass impact - or at least it appears that way
  • Slight sibilance but only with one or two tracks, and did not make me cringe (YMMV)
  • Slightly hotter treble
  • No stridency - mids seem quite nicely balanced between upper and lower
  • Holographic feel to some tracks - not sure if this is reverb / decay / ? - but doesn't sound wrong (I quite like it)
  • Slightly brighter than the Dunus
  • I think it has a little better lower bass - cello especially rendered beautifully

 

Both sound great - and I think it comes down to preference.  If you don't mind a slightly hotter treble (and to my ears it's more treble than upper mids), but prefer a slightly more balanced mid-range - then the Altone200 are just incredible for the current price.

 

If you like a richer vocal experience - but at the expense of a little stridency from time to time - then the Dunus are hard to beat.

 

Both are very clear, with great separation, really good bass impact - and fantastic tone.

 

My preference at the moment (and remember that I haven't had these long) is actually the Altones.  I listen to a lot of female vocals, and I'm finding these just render female vocals slightly better than the Dunus.  I was listening to some Pearl Jam earlier though - and thought the Dunus covered that music slightly better.

 

Hope this helps someone.

post #127 of 1414

Great comparison! 

post #128 of 1414
Thread Starter 

Naw come 'on Brooko, you know those Altone whoop the Dunu.  Just need to crank them up louder. :wink_face:

Thanks very much for the comparison and glad you're enjoying them. "the essence of T-Peos"

post #129 of 1414

Thanks

 

Not good for my ears though.  Too easy to get confused - especially when you don't know all the ins and outs of the new kid on the block.  I'd prefer to just spend a couple of days with it by itself, and slowly get to know its strengths and weaknesses before doing direct comparisons.

 

What I am amazed at though is how good the sonics are nowadays on IEMs in the $80-$150 bracket - and this was unheard of a few years ago.

 

I'd honestly take the DN-1000, or the Altone200 over the SE535's I used to own.  I've got a $100 Brainwavz S5 with me as well this week, and it's the best Brainwavz offering I've heard since the B2, and there's the RockJaw Alfa Genus I just finished reviewing as well.  Both of those should be in higher price brackets as well IMO.   Good time to be a portable music lover! 

post #130 of 1414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Thanks

 

Not good for my ears though.  Too easy to get confused - especially when you don't know all the ins and outs of the new kid on the block.  I'd prefer to just spend a couple of days with it by itself, and slowly get to know its strengths and weaknesses before doing direct comparisons.

 

What I am amazed at though is how good the sonics are nowadays on IEMs in the $80-$150 bracket - and this was unheard of a few years ago.

 

I'd honestly take the DN-1000, or the Altone200 over the SE535's I used to own.  I've got a $100 Brainwavz S5 with me as well this week, and it's the best Brainwavz offering I've heard since the B2, and there's the RockJaw Alfa Genus I just finished reviewing as well.  Both of those should be in higher price brackets as well IMO.   Good time to be a portable music lover! 



I agree, it can become confusing with lots of gear at once.

About the value: 

To my understanding T-Peos wanted to accomplish something basically "unheard of", they took in tons of feedback about what's conceivable, what's offered currently by other companies, where they could make improvements, what they could do (and couldn't do) to make the end user benefit much as possible. Their main goal was to keep the price down low low low while maintaining high(ish) quality sound. By cutting corners on packaging, materials and accessories, they were able to offer Altone200.

Like anything Altone may not be perfect for all consumers (you will never please everyone) however like you're hearing the performance for $105 is exceptional.

As people may of noticed, I make an effort not to stick my head in here, though Brooko deserves a special exception.:wink_face:

 

post #131 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 



I agree, it can become confusing with lots of gear at once.

About the value: 

To my understanding T-Peos wanted to accomplish something basically "unheard of", they took in tons of feedback about what's conceivable, what's offered currently by other companies, where they could make improvements, what they could do (and couldn't do) to make the end user benefit much as possible. Their main goal was to keep the price down low low low while maintaining high(ish) quality sound. By cutting corners on packaging, materials and accessories, they were able to offer Altone200.

Like anything Altone may not be perfect for all consumers (you will never please everyone) however like you're hearing the performance for $105 is exceptional.

As people may of noticed, I make an effort not to stick my head in here, though Brooko deserves a special exception.:wink_face:

 

Damn, you should be in sales

post #132 of 1414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Damn, you should be in sales



It's the evenings I'm afraid, far too much caffeine. :mad:



Even I myself read it back and thought: "Fair crack of the whip mate" 

post #133 of 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 



It's the evenings I'm afraid, far too much caffeine. :mad:



Even I myself read it back and thought: "Fair crack of the whip mate" 

Caffeine in the evenings? :eek:
You crazy :) 

I would be up all night typing reviews on Head-fi too

post #134 of 1414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Caffeine in the evenings? :eek:
You crazy :) 

I would be up all night typing reviews on Head-fi too



 


:p 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 7/9/14 at 6:34am
post #135 of 1414
Thread Starter 

I apologise for the slightly off-topic above, member nehcrow has been spoken too via PM and asked not to do it again.

Considering members impressions are starting to come and comparisons (thanks Brooko) I'll be updating the OP (first post) as more comes in. I suggest checking back there if you feel you've missed anything over coming weeks as I'll basically be forming a summary of Altone200's progress.

As from now the OP is up to date.

Have fun.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 7/9/14 at 5:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.