Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for IEM suggestions/recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for IEM suggestions/recommendations

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone! For graduating high school I'm deciding to buy a new pair of IEMs. I'm currently using Apple Earpods because my old Vsonic GR06's were stolen unfortunately and I've just never wanted to spend the money on new ones. I absolutely loved the GR06's. Every time I put both in (usually only had one side in because of school) I was always amazed at the soundstage and clarity. The only downside to the GR06's to me personally was the lack of a strong bass. I definitely did notice the bass a bit, but it wasn't anything to get me going. I bought a FiiO E06 and found that to improve the bass but it was a pain to deal with at school so I never bothered so it's currently sitting in the drawer next to me. The only other thing I wasn't the biggest fan of on the GR06's was the over-the-ear design. I enjoy the fact that there was no microphonics because of the fact, but I found it less "friendly" to use for other people and myself. Having an over-the-ear design won't make me not want it, but if it can be worn down too, that'd be great.

I'm not looking to spend an extreme amount of money, but I'll go up to around $100 (+-). The music genres I listen to are basically everything but mostly rap/hip-hop (RiFF RAFF is a god), pop, post-hardcore, some rock, some country, etc. with my favorites being post-hardcore and rap/hip-hop. Also I'll be using my iPhone 5S as my primary music player if that matters. I've been reading a bit and the Vsonic VSD1's (not S model) really catches my eye (except that Comic Sans), plus it's cheap. But I'm also waiting to see how the VSD3's and VSD5's will perform. I don't want something like the Hippo VB where the bass is ridiculous, but I also don't want something with weak bass. My friend has a pair of GR07 BE's (my recommendation) and I find the bass to be lacking in those just a bit, which should give you an idea of how much bass I want. On the more expensive end I was reading on the Fischer Audio SBA-03 / MEElectronics A161P and they seemed nice but ljokerl says there isn't as much bass as the GR07's(?). The Astrotec AX-35's also look quite nice, but there's just so many options. The DUNU DN-900's seem pretty good as well.

Reading up on the Yamaha EPH-100SL (is the SL the same as the EPH-100? I can't find it without the SL) makes me really tempted to get it. It's under $100 on Amazon and I have prime. Can anyone comment on these?

 

So if anyone could give me some recommendations that fit my needs, with possibly a brief description of your thoughts on them (I'll also research them), that'd be great. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

 

Edit: Went ahead and bought the Yamaha EPH-100SL's because of 2 day shipping and they look good. And if I don't like them I can return them.


Edited by TheFragileOne - 6/25/14 at 8:40pm
post #2 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hey Head-Fi, I purchased the Yamaha EPH-100's about 2 weeks ago and have many burn in hours with them but found a dislike for them. First of all, the high "ss" sound hurts my ears from being too piercing, and I find the Yamaha's lack sub-bass rumble/feel. So I'm currently looking for IEM's with more sub-bass that I can feel with a bit more relaxed highs. As stated before I listen to (in order of most listened to to least listened to): hip-hop/rap, post-hardcore, alternative, rock, electronic and country. I'm not looking to spend much over $100 (since I now have to ship back the Yamaha's), but up to $120 or so is fine with Amazon Prime/free shipping.

The IEM's I've been researching are the Sony MDR-XB90EX, Velodyne vPulse, Audio Technica ATH-CKS77BK, HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2, Audio Technica ATH-IM50 (or IM70), RHA MA-750i, Shure SE215, and now the OSTRY KC06A. Any input on these and suggestions based around my needs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Edited by TheFragileOne - 7/12/14 at 6:25pm
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Bump. Anyone?

post #4 of 15
Did you get a good seal with your Eph-100? (SL means 'silver' I think) Have you tried different tips? Lacking sub-bass and having to much sibilance is not the way Eph100 are usually described.

Based on what you say, you should look into laid back/dark sounding IEMs. If Fidelio IEMs are tuned similar to Fidelio headphones then they are probably your cup of tea.

Best Luck!
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post

Did you get a good seal with your Eph-100? (SL means 'silver' I think) Have you tried different tips? Lacking sub-bass and having to much sibilance is not the way Eph100 are usually described.

Based on what you say, you should look into laid back/dark sounding IEMs. If Fidelio IEMs are tuned similar to Fidelio headphones then they are probably your cup of tea.

Best Luck!

At first I had issues with the seal on them, but then I switched the tips to a pair from some V-Moda IEM's and that fixed it. The bass on the EPH-100's is good, but the sub-bass doesn't go deep and isn't rumbly enough for my liking. Like in "Bando" by Migos and "Jimmy Lovine" by Mackelmore & Ryan Lewis, the constant sub-bass throughout the song just isn't there which completely ruins the song to me. The sibilance isn't that bad but in some songs the "ss" sound sort of hurts my ears because of it's loudness. I listen at around 60% or a bit more on my 5S.

Yeah most of the IEM's I picked are darker I believe. I tried looking into those IEM's but can't find much on them. But thanks!

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

Bump... Can anyone else chime in please?

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragileOne View Post

Bump... Can anyone else chime in please?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-318-iems-compared-narmoo-r1m-added-07-03-14-p-936
Most of us aren't lucky enough to try every single one. This review might help though.
post #8 of 15
I have a pair of RHA MA-750, the version without the mic and volume controls. To my ears they suit all types if music, nice controlled extended bass, creamy mids, with nice shimmery highs without sibilance. Having said this, the tips used are of importance, as I found them slightly too bright with the stock tips with slightly loose bass, but once I started using the comply Tx200 foam tips, the highs were tamed, and the bass tightened up perfectly. IMHO these sound amazing for the price, admittedly not that I've heard loads and loads of different IEMs, but given a good source they are great for me. FYI mine are paired with an AK100 mk1, and I love the sound every time I listen with them.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby12 View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-318-iems-compared-narmoo-r1m-added-07-03-14-p-936
Most of us aren't lucky enough to try every single one. This review might help though.

Which I understand and have narrowed it down to a selection while still asking for other peoples input on what they think would be good based on what they own. I actually have done a lot of research on all the IEM's I mentioned. I'm just an indecisive person so I wanted others opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofeel71 View Post

I have a pair of RHA MA-750, the version without the mic and volume controls. To my ears they suit all types if music, nice controlled extended bass, creamy mids, with nice shimmery highs without sibilance. Having said this, the tips used are of importance, as I found them slightly too bright with the stock tips with slightly loose bass, but once I started using the comply Tx200 foam tips, the highs were tamed, and the bass tightened up perfectly. IMHO these sound amazing for the price, admittedly not that I've heard loads and loads of different IEMs, but given a good source they are great for me. FYI mine are paired with an AK100 mk1, and I love the sound every time I listen with them.

Thanks! How's the sub-bass rumble in your ear? Can you feel/hear the sub-bass in "Bando" by Migos and in "Jimmy Lovine" by Macklemore? Sorry if you don't like rap.
post #10 of 15
Sorry. I don't know those particular tracks, but I can testify that the bass is well extended with no roll off, and that the sub bass is present and can be felt as well as heard.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragileOne View Post

Which I understand and have narrowed it down to a selection while still asking for other peoples input on what they think would be good based on what they own. I actually have done a lot of research on all the IEM's I mentioned. I'm just an indecisive person so I wanted others opinions.
Thanks! How's the sub-bass rumble in your ear? Can you feel/hear the sub-bass in "Bando" by Migos and in "Jimmy Lovine" by Macklemore? Sorry if you don't like rap.

We have different opinions so it might be all over the place. That's the problem with having individual reviews. With someone who has tried them all you can understand how the listener feels if you have a base.
For example, the se215 bass is too much for some while others think it's just the right amount. It's just our expectations of things that lead us to believe certain things.
Btw, if you don't like over the ear designs then I suggest you avoid the ones with memory wire. They're meant to be worn over the ears to reduce microphonics. And some of those regular ones are better worn over ear too for the same reason.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofeel71 View Post

Sorry. I don't know those particular tracks, but I can testify that the bass is well extended with no roll off, and that the sub bass is present and can be felt as well as heard.

 

Wonderful, thanks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby12 View Post


We have different opinions so it might be all over the place. That's the problem with having individual reviews. With someone who has tried them all you can understand how the listener feels if you have a base.
For example, the se215 bass is too much for some while others think it's just the right amount. It's just our expectations of things that lead us to believe certain things.
Btw, if you don't like over the ear designs then I suggest you avoid the ones with memory wire. They're meant to be worn over the ears to reduce microphonics. And some of those regular ones are better worn over ear too for the same reason.

 

Of course, which is why I was just asking for the amount in those tracks so I could judge how much sub-bass there is. And yeah I know. I originally had a pair of Vsonic GR06's. I don't mind over the ear but it's better if it can be worn down because not everyone knows how to use them lol.

post #13 of 15
Hey dude I've had both the 215's and the xb90ex. The xb90's are def. What your looking for. Bass out the ass! Lots of sub bass rumble. They are light on mid bass to me though... But the mids are clear sounding and the highs are nice too.

Also, throw the JVC fxc51 into your hat as well. It was one of the first earphones I ever bought and it truly stand up to all the big dogs in my collection. Side by side comparisons with the xb90ex and gr07BE are very impressive. It also has that same design as the eph-100 too
post #14 of 15

I'm not an expert, but I'm think I have the same determination as an audiofiliac. Inaways, I've read about a lot of IEM's too and if you like the GR06's then you should like the GR07's. I think you know that many people like the improvement to them over the GR06. Aliexpress has both for $100 free shipping(be prepared for 2-3 week shipping). There are two versions, but both should have the same exact internals. One is opted for bass more than the other, but the other isnt something that an amp or equalizer can't fix. I've gotten confirmation from mark2410, who I think is an expert without bias.

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHNgu View Post I've gotten confirmation from mark2410, who I think is an expert without bias.

 

:beerchug:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for IEM suggestions/recommendations