Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator - Page 2

post #16 of 123

I think a lot of you are missing the point. It's not about whether it is hypothetically better but whether you would even be able to tell the difference. If you don't hear noise with your DAC already then it is pointless to get this.

post #17 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post
 

I think a lot of you are missing the point. It's not about whether it is hypothetically better but whether you would even be able to tell the difference. If you don't hear noise with your DAC already then it is pointless to get this.

+1

post #18 of 123

I hear noise with my DAC due to my PC's poor USB implementation and an external USB hub didn't solve it entirely, although did help partially.  

Ordered mine yesterday, so will see if it resolves the issues when it arrives early next week.  This seemed a much more cost effective solution than the iFi one for like $300.

post #19 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post
 

I think a lot of you are missing the point. It's not about whether it is hypothetically better but whether you would even be able to tell the difference. If you don't hear noise with your DAC already then it is pointless to get this.

 

Yep, that and if you want to use a tablet or phone and don't want to fuss around with USB hubs whose wirings go every which way that some don't work (on the upside, some have used Androids that can access a 2.5 ext HDD along with a DAC on the same hub). I'm just waiting for confirmation on the Android and iOS DAC threads before I pull the trigger on this and a Modi USB.

post #20 of 123

This sort of reminds what Gigabyte is doing with their motherboards, having a dedicated USB port for DACs in an effort to transmit clean sound. 

post #21 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeerK View Post
 

This sort of reminds what Gigabyte is doing with their motherboards, having a dedicated USB port for DACs in an effort to transmit clean sound. 

 

MSI also has USB ports designed to deliver consistent, clean 5v - the difference between them is that Gigabyte has it in the outline of the blurb, but MSI has it in the lower section with the longer explanation and accompanying graphic.

 

The really neat feature on Gigabyte boards is the swappable headpone driver opamps. When it comes time to replace my current gaming PC I'll use that sort of motherboard and Beyer DT770s (for the isolation and low price, not so much the soundstage) so I wouldn't need to use my Xonar U7 out of a USB port with an IEM.

post #22 of 123

Got mine today and, well, it appears to do exactly what it is supposed to do, like most of Schiit's products.  

 

The background noise on my USB connection caused by the very poor USB implementation on my motherboard has been "de-crapified".  I no longer have the scratchy/popping sounds coming through the silence.  

 

Was it worth $100, don't know if it will be for everyone but for me it solved the issue the $20 Belkin hub didn't fix entirely (although that hub helped a good amount) and isn't $200+ like other brands of these devices.  If you have USB issues and $100, give it a go, may be worth it.

 

EDIT:  For info purposes, I use Schiit's PYST cables, so basic Straight Wire.


Edited by bonesnv - 7/5/14 at 4:41pm
post #23 of 123

With the Modi and Magni stack, will the Wyrd fix issues with noise from phones? Every time my phone is close and I get a text or any kind of transmission, I can hear some buzzing. I have to take it out of my pocket and put it on the other side of the desk and when I'm going in and out of my office a lot its a huge pain in the ass.

post #24 of 123

Next will be a deSchiitifier.

post #25 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
 

With the Modi and Magni stack, will the Wyrd fix issues with noise from phones? Every time my phone is close and I get a text or any kind of transmission, I can hear some buzzing. I have to take it out of my pocket and put it on the other side of the desk and when I'm going in and out of my office a lot its a huge pain in the ass.

 

 

Believe that is more of an issue with the phone.  Not all phones produce this kind of electronic noise/interference, it will most frequently occur when you are utilizing the data services.  My iPhone 4 does this bad, however, my S4 doesn't do it at all around any speakers, headphones, alarm clocks, etc.

post #26 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesnv View Post

 

Believe that is more of an issue with the phone.  Not all phones produce this kind of electronic noise/interference, it will most frequently occur when you are utilizing the data services.  My iPhone 4 does this bad, however, my S4 doesn't do it at all around any speakers, headphones, alarm clocks, etc.

 

Interesting. I know that some speakers are way more susceptible to it (I've definitely had a lot of crappy speakers that would go berserk around any phone), but my headphones don't seem to pick it up through other sources, just Modi/Magni. 

post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
 

 

Interesting. I know that some speakers are way more susceptible to it (I've definitely had a lot of crappy speakers that would go berserk around any phone), but my headphones don't seem to pick it up through other sources, just Modi/Magni. 

 

It depends on the shielding and how sensitive the components are - that's why all speaker series that have a center channel at least are very likely shielded, since there's reasonable expectation that they will be used near a display that might introduce that kind of noise (IIRC it has something to do with the magnet, so in some cases it's not actually the cabinet that's shielded but the rear end of the woofers and/or tweeters). There's a chance that some expensive speakers out there might still go berserk around some other electronic device, for example if they were built without consideration to their use next to a TV. In yourt case it may be the Magni, because the reason why Schiit hasn't come up with a DAC-HPamp in one box is because the amp components they use are very, very sensitive to noise.

 

I wouldn't bet on the Decrapifier to take that noise out though - it's designed to filter out noise going through the USB signal, not to filter out airborne interference, which again is likely going in through the Magni.

post #28 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

It depends on the shielding and how sensitive the components are - that's why all speaker series that have a center channel at least are very likely shielded, since there's reasonable expectation that they will be used near a display that might introduce that kind of noise (IIRC it has something to do with the magnet, so in some cases it's not actually the cabinet that's shielded but the rear end of the woofers and/or tweeters). There's a chance that some expensive speakers out there might still go berserk around some other electronic device, for example if they were built without consideration to their use next to a TV. In yourt case it may be the Magni, because the reason why Schiit hasn't come up with a DAC-HPamp in one box is because the amp components they use are very, very sensitive to noise.

 

I wouldn't bet on the Decrapifier to take that noise out though - it's designed to filter out noise going through the USB signal, not to filter out airborne interference, which again is likely going in through the Magni.

Makes total sense. Darn. I was hoping it would alleviate some of those issues, but, the place where I work has its own power plant that puts out pretty crappy power. It even screws with my laptop dock and output to my monitor sometimes, so hopefully there will be some kind of sonic improvement. My Bifrost and the computer that feeds it are both on a power conditioner that seems to do an awesome job of giving ultra clean power to everything.

post #29 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxelrod92 View Post
 

This decrapifier isn't as "snake oily" as it seems, as far as I understand its purpose. It's meant for usb powered dacs, where if the power coming out of the usb port isnt perfect, clean, and constant, it can and will cause some serious sound issues, because you would essentially not be getting correct power to make the dac work. And I'm sure on some computers depending on where the port is located or if anything else is on the internal hub other than the dac, then something like this device can come in handy by simply providing a constant power supply through the usb cable for the dac, and keeping the signal alone from the internals of the computer, so its as uninterrupted as possible. If you have a powered dac, that just has a usb input option, like the bifrost for example, then this device is basically useless. unless you have some serious usb port issues/noisey internals in your computer or something. but this yould make a good alternative over a powered usb hub for a usb powered dac.


This. If it's a usb powered DAC, using a linear supply is a good thing in my book. Of course, I'm still not a fan of usb digital.

Ducks.

post #30 of 123

I'm getting confused about this Schiit. I'm planning of upgrading to Bifrost and I think Wyrd probably helps improve the USB signal from my MacBook Air. It seems like I have two options now.

 

1. Getting a better USB cable. I heard from my friend that the good USB cable can decrease the error of data transferring.

2. Getting Wyrd Schiit.

 

Which one is the best option for better accuracy of data transfer?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator