Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator - Page 9

post #121 of 146
Sorry about that. I meant it as a generic term for iPhone or iPad.
post #122 of 146

I guess it would make the most sense to review the decrapifier with USB powered audio devices, the whole point of the unit is to inject a low ripple linear PSU IMHO.......the reclocking should only help if your PC is lagged badly or extremely noisy.

post #123 of 146

Well, I've been using the Wyrd almost 4 days now and thus far it has eliminated the odd burping-like noises I was getting a couple times a day. I haven't had time to simply sit back, relax and listen to music (only have in playing while I work) so I can't speak to any changes in sound quality (already sounds stellar to me). I'm not into the sit down and critically listen for changes thing. I know my setup well enough that if anything sounds better or worse I'll be aware of it before too long.


Edited by KLJTech - 8/19/14 at 12:45pm
post #124 of 146
I just got the Sennheiser HDVD 800 and balanced Sennheiser cable for my HD 800 which I'm using with a 2008 MacBook Pro connected to a surge protected power extension bar with a Wireworld Status 7 power cable and a Starlight 7 USB cable and am enjoying it a lot so far, when I've listened. Getting a Wyrd has crossed my mind too and the obvious thing that comes up is that the USB cable of the Wyrd will probably affect the sound and upgrading the stock Wyrd cable may be necessary for optimum results. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with the Wyrd and different USB cables (and with the HDVD 800/HD 800 combo too)?
Edited by Windsor - 8/30/14 at 4:06pm
post #125 of 146

better usb made things worse for me, Schiits Pyst cables worked well. however try and get the cables on loan so you can return them if they don't work

post #126 of 146

I would think that if the Starlight 7 USB makes a change/difference in the sound for the DAC you'll need to get two of them, one from PC to Wyrd and one from Wyrd to DAC in order to maintain the sound. 

 

I have found after a couple weeks of listening that the Chord SilverPlus USB cable is a significant change/improvement over the stock monoprice USB cable I got with my HRT HD Streamer. 

 

I would note, however, that I had a weird noise in my Beyerdynamic Dt990s coming from the HD streamer and my Schiit, that wasn't fixed by the Chord cable. It was like a high pitched electricity noise. I thought it was USB power, and it might be, but there are other ways to fix it than going out and getting the Wyrd and another high end cable.

 

Now I'm listening to a Lehmann Rhinelander and the noise is all gone, so I'm thinking there just was some kind of synergy problem with the HRT, the Schiit Magni, and the super-sensitive Beyers (probably less so than the HD 800s though, of course).  

 

People should perhaps consider synergy issues with equipment before getting the Wyrd, and especially consider the fact that many good amps clean the signal up a bit before getting to your headphones/speakers.

post #127 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpark View Post
 

 

<snip, snip>

 

 

Now I'm listening to a Lehmann Rhinelander and the noise is all gone, so I'm thinking there just was some kind of synergy problem with the HRT, the Schiit Magni, and the super-sensitive Beyers (probably less so than the HD 800s though, of course).  

 

<snip, snip>

 

Slightly OT, but do you like your Rhinelander?  Would you recommend it?  I continue to agonize over a replacement head/amp and there are just too many good choices.  But, I am a fan of clean, noise free amplification.  Thanks, in advance.

post #128 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post

I just got the Sennheiser HDVD 800 and balanced Sennheiser cable for my HD 800 which I'm using with a 2008 MacBook Pro connected to a surge protected power extension bar with a Wireworld Status 7 power cable and a Starlight 7 USB cable and am enjoying it a lot so far, when I've listened. Getting a Wyrd has crossed my mind too and the obvious thing that comes up is that the USB cable of the Wyrd will probably affect the sound and upgrading the stock Wyrd cable may be necessary for optimum results. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with the Wyrd and different USB cables (and with the HDVD 800/HD 800 combo too)?


My initial reaction was the same as yours about, if I get wyrd now I need to buy a duplicate of the cable going to the dac. but technically you dont. Sure make it decent enough if you want, but the wyrd is essentially a floating usb port with its own power supply and repeater chip. meaning the cable that feeds it, is no more important than the internal wiring of your computer feeding it's ports. Just the fact all this takes place externally, solves interference issue on this cable, and once it gets to the wyrd the whole signal gets repeated and powered and cleaned, so only the cable going from the wyrd to the dac would matter, just like how it is going straight out of your computer to a dac. No need to spend tons of money on a cable that wont even affect the sound in the chain. Like I have a shorter audioquest forest cable, and a pangea cable. same price for both but the pangea cable is built with the same materials and specs as a 120 dollar audioquest carbon. either way, if I got wyrd I would use the audioquest forest cable from my laptop to wyrd, and then the pangea cable from wyrd to my dac. It doesnt make sense to me how a cable feeding something that completely reconstructs and cleans the signal could possibly change the signal. Once the data/signal hits the wyrd its basically now starting over brand new and fresh from there, and only components after the wyrd matter.

post #129 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxelrod92 View Post


My initial reaction was the same as yours about, if I get wyrd now I need to buy a duplicate of the cable going to the dac. but technically you dont. Sure make it decent enough if you want, but the wyrd is essentially a floating usb port with its own power supply and repeater chip. meaning the cable that feeds it, is no more important than the internal wiring of your computer feeding it's ports. Just the fact all this takes place externally, solves interference issue on this cable, and once it gets to the wyrd the whole signal gets repeated and powered and cleaned, so only the cable going from the wyrd to the dac would matter, just like how it is going straight out of your computer to a dac. No need to spend tons of money on a cable that wont even affect the sound in the chain. Like I have a shorter audioquest forest cable, and a pangea cable. same price for both but the pangea cable is built with the same materials and specs as a 120 dollar audioquest carbon. either way, if I got wyrd I would use the audioquest forest cable from my laptop to wyrd, and then the pangea cable from wyrd to my dac. It doesnt make sense to me how a cable feeding something that completely reconstructs and cleans the signal could possibly change the signal. Once the data/signal hits the wyrd its basically now starting over brand new and fresh from there, and only components after the wyrd matter.

Thanks for your thoughtful response - like I'm sure the Wyrd will, it's really cleared things up!

Oh, and I love the beautiful pictures you linked to in your signature. Right up my street!

smily_headphones1.gif
post #130 of 146

Honestly you all need to try wyrd with Monoprice cables and compare it to your current fancy ones. I have Monoprice cables into and out of my Wyrd and it sounds absolutely beautiful.

 

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030310

post #131 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
 

Honestly you all need to try wyrd with Monoprice cables and compare it to your current fancy ones. I have Monoprice cables into and out of my Wyrd and it sounds absolutely beautiful.

 

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030310

 

Another top tip - thanks!

:)

post #132 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post


Thanks for your thoughtful response - like I'm sure the Wyrd will, it's really cleared things up!

Oh, and I love the beautiful pictures you linked to in your signature. Right up my street!

smily_headphones1.gif


No problem! :)

 

and I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures, I follow some nice facebook pages that post those pics, and when one catches my eye I download it and save it. Figured I'd leave it in my signature for people to also enjoy. They are great to look at when listening to music too, if you like having a visual beauty to go with your audio beauty lol. I need to add a few more pics soon though...

post #133 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
 

Honestly you all need to try wyrd with Monoprice cables and compare it to your current fancy ones. I have Monoprice cables into and out of my Wyrd and it sounds absolutely beautiful.

 

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030310

and Schiits recommend the monoprice cables too thats what I understood from the blurb on their web page 


Edited by aamer23 - 9/5/14 at 11:32pm
post #134 of 146

I had this issue where quite often I could not send signal out through to my DAC. My iMac knew the DAC was there, but it just would not work. For the longest I thought it was Audirvana crapping out - but I read this post someplace that recommended trying the Wyrd.......  It fixed it!!!!  Sounds great and now it all works every time. Completely solid now.

 

In hindsight, a powered USB hub might work too, but hey, they Wyrd works great for me now, so I'm sold.

 

iMac w/Audirvana 1.5.12 >Wyrd>Bifrost>Lyr>Hifiman HE-500's

 

For me, I believe I hear a sonic improvement, but I also changed out USB cables too at the same time, so I can't say exactly how much the Wyrd has to do with it. Quieter/darker backgrounds and a better sense of space, clarity and air between voices and instruments. Tighter bass. Perhaps a wider, or at least different soundstage from before. Perhaps a slightly more creamy top end? - Nothing life changing, just a bit here and a bit there.......Then again it could just be this porter I'm drinking tonight. :beerchug:

post #135 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeerK View Post
 

This sort of reminds what Gigabyte is doing with their motherboards, having a dedicated USB port for DACs in an effort to transmit clean sound. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

MSI also has USB ports designed to deliver consistent, clean 5v - the difference between them is that Gigabyte has it in the outline of the blurb, but MSI has it in the lower section with the longer explanation and accompanying graphic.

 

Thanks for posting about this.  If I decide on a desktop for my next computer, I'll get one of these motherboards.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator