Looking at getting an amp for my HD700/650 and was looking for opinions between these two. Fairly close price wise but how do they compare in sound. Mostly listen to Pop and Jazz along with a bit of classic rock.
Related Forum Threads
- DAC + Amp for HD650 (budget 800$ for each) Last post on 11/2/12 at 11:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- OTL vs SET Amp for HD650 Last post on 10/12/12 at 10:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Buying a complete set of audio stuff, I need some advice as I'm stuck. Last post on 6/27/12 at 1:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an advice for setting up a closed, comfort, light weight full-size headphone set Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- $500-$600 U.S.A. Tube Amp for HD650's? Last post on 9/25/11 at 2:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
Sony almost always delivers when it comes to good quality audio products and these headphones are a great example. These headphones fit quit well and have different size plugs depending on what...
This is a review for the Shure SE315's, first a little about myself I don't consider myself a hard core audiophile like most people on this site. I am 38 years old and I am just your everyday...
TL;DR : Don't be lazy, I already made the review super short Let's just keep this short, I got the MMX102IE (same version just with a mic and 1 button remote) for about 40$ cuz of a discount...
I am penning down my opinion about the Hidizs AP100 Digital Audio Player. I will try to keep this review simple as possible and I hope it would be easy to read, and will help fellow enthusiasts to...
Better Amp, Wa6 or Lyr.post #1 of 36/24/14 at 7:41pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 36/28/14 at 2:45am
I don't own a Lyr, so can't compare the two options. I do own a WA6/HD600 combination - and love it. The sound is warm and engaging - easy to listen to for extended periods. A lot of fun.
A couple of words of caution regarding the WA6:
1) Tube rolling is a must. The stock tubes on the WA6 as delivered are, frankly, kinda lame and do not showcase what the WA6 can really do. I am using an EML 274B mesh rectifier and 7N7 drivers from Woo Audio. The difference they make from the stock sound is STUNNING. The Sophia Electric 274B is good, the EML 274B is better IMHO. I own both, and will only be putting the Sophia back in if the EML breaks.
2) The WA6 scales better with a quality DAC than you would expect from an amp in its price bracket. I have an Auralic Vega DAC that I use to feed my 'reference' setup - Auralic Vega + Taurus MkII + LCD-X. Replacing my 'ordinary' DAC with the Vega gave a bigger quality jump (in relative terms) with the WA6/HD600 setup than with the Taurus/LCD-X setup. That was surprising and says a lot about the quality of the WA6.
If you are willing to spend some time and $ tube rolling, and have a quality source, the WA6 will reward you.post #3 of 36/30/14 at 6:49pmI had a Woo WA6-SE, with Nos drivers and rect tubes. With my HD800 it was great, very musical. I read about the Lyr on 6moons and bought one. After some serious tube rolling, I was blown away. The Woo was so polite, but a little boring after a while. The Lyr was exciting, dynamic, with incredible musicality and sound staging. Sold the Woo, and kept tube rolling. The Lyr takes the umbiqitous 6922, so many choices! Finally I settled on the magical Russian 6n23ps.
I love this combination. The Lyr with the right tubes punches way over it's weight class.
Edited by rb2013 - 6/30/14 at 6:50pm
- Better Amp, Wa6 or Lyr.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 13 seconds ago
- › Burson soloist SL as an amp for beyer t1 20 seconds ago
- › WTB: Alpha Dogs w/ everything included and shipping to the US 37 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Epiphany Acoustics join Head-Fi with the EHP-O2 portable headphone amp 4 minutes ago
- › hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central 5 minutes ago
- › Need help find new headphones for vocals[upgrade from... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)