Looking at getting an amp for my HD700/650 and was looking for opinions between these two. Fairly close price wise but how do they compare in sound. Mostly listen to Pop and Jazz along with a bit of classic rock.
Related Forum Threads
- DAC + Amp for HD650 (budget 800$ for each) Last post on 11/2/12 at 11:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- OTL vs SET Amp for HD650 Last post on 10/12/12 at 10:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Buying a complete set of audio stuff, I need some advice as I'm stuck. Last post on 6/27/12 at 1:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an advice for setting up a closed, comfort, light weight full-size headphone set Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- $500-$600 U.S.A. Tube Amp for HD650's? Last post on 9/25/11 at 2:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
Better Amp, Wa6 or Lyr.post #1 of 36/24/14 at 7:41pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 36/28/14 at 2:45am
I don't own a Lyr, so can't compare the two options. I do own a WA6/HD600 combination - and love it. The sound is warm and engaging - easy to listen to for extended periods. A lot of fun.
A couple of words of caution regarding the WA6:
1) Tube rolling is a must. The stock tubes on the WA6 as delivered are, frankly, kinda lame and do not showcase what the WA6 can really do. I am using an EML 274B mesh rectifier and 7N7 drivers from Woo Audio. The difference they make from the stock sound is STUNNING. The Sophia Electric 274B is good, the EML 274B is better IMHO. I own both, and will only be putting the Sophia back in if the EML breaks.
2) The WA6 scales better with a quality DAC than you would expect from an amp in its price bracket. I have an Auralic Vega DAC that I use to feed my 'reference' setup - Auralic Vega + Taurus MkII + LCD-X. Replacing my 'ordinary' DAC with the Vega gave a bigger quality jump (in relative terms) with the WA6/HD600 setup than with the Taurus/LCD-X setup. That was surprising and says a lot about the quality of the WA6.
If you are willing to spend some time and $ tube rolling, and have a quality source, the WA6 will reward you.post #3 of 36/30/14 at 6:49pmI had a Woo WA6-SE, with Nos drivers and rect tubes. With my HD800 it was great, very musical. I read about the Lyr on 6moons and bought one. After some serious tube rolling, I was blown away. The Woo was so polite, but a little boring after a while. The Lyr was exciting, dynamic, with incredible musicality and sound staging. Sold the Woo, and kept tube rolling. The Lyr takes the umbiqitous 6922, so many choices! Finally I settled on the magical Russian 6n23ps.
I love this combination. The Lyr with the right tubes punches way over it's weight class.
Edited by rb2013 - 6/30/14 at 6:50pm
- Better Amp, Wa6 or Lyr.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 26 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 53 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 2 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 3 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 with 128GB 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)