or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Cheap amp and IEM for HiFimeDIY Sabre U2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap amp and IEM for HiFimeDIY Sabre U2

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello everybody, I am looking for a cheap ($50-80) amplifier and IEM for Sabre U2.

I think CmoyBB v2.03 and Vsonic VSD5 will be good choice.

I also don't know do I need an USB Isolator or not.

Currently I have Sansa Clip Zip and Vsonic VSD1.

 

I need your suggestion, what to include, what to replace, what to remove.


Edited by Isekaijin - 6/24/14 at 1:54pm
post #2 of 13

Are you using the U2 with your laptop? Cell phone?

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

I haven't recieved it yet. I'm planning to use it with my laptop and android tablet.

post #4 of 13
If you're going to use a budget IEM then you probably don't need an amp.

That being said, what kind of music do you like?
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

U2 output impedance is >200ohm, so for low-impedance headphones (32-40ohm) amplifier is probably necessary. I like melodic music, ambient, post-rock, power metal, speedcore.

 

Lastfm says:

japanese, post-rock, instrumental, j-pop, ambient, rock, electronic, female vocalists, touhou, experimental.

post #6 of 13
I just mean that your source will drive the IEMs fine through the U2 unless you plan on dropping $$$ on customs or TOTL universals.

I had one that got plenty loud for any IEM and most portable headphones I used.

If you're hellbent on getting an amp, I'd try to find a Dragonfly which is a thumb sized amp/DAC. Otherwise something like a cmoy would offer plenty of power for low cost
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
 If you're hellbent on getting an amp, I'd try to find a Dragonfly which is a thumb sized amp/DAC.

What do you mean by that?

I don't know if I need an USB Isolator or amplifier, I've read somewhere that U2 could sound bad with low-impedance IEMs without an amplifier. But if it doesn't, I think I don't need it.


Edited by Isekaijin - 6/25/14 at 8:42am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isekaijin View Post
 

Hello everybody, I am looking for a cheap ($50-80) amplifier and IEM for Sabre U2.

I think CmoyBB v2.03 and Vsonic VSD5 will be good choice.

I also don't know do I need an USB Isolator or not.

Currently I have Sansa Clip Zip and Vsonic VSD1.

 

I need your suggestion, what to include, what to replace, what to remove.

 

I like my FiiO E11.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isekaijin View Post

What do you mean by that?
I don't know if I need an USB Isolator or amplifier, I've read somewhere that U2 could sound bad with low-impedance IEMs without an amplifier. But if it doesn't, I think I don't need it.

Well if you want an amp to be on the safe side, get one. Or you could get a dragonfly which is a DAC with an amp circuit built-in that is only a few centimeters larger than the U2.

If you want to save a little coin though, I would just forgo the amp. I've heard several low impedance IEM's through the U2 and none of them had issues
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

So, my Sabre U2 arrived. I've tested it with my Vsonic VSD1, Ritmix RH-508 (FA-004-like), Sennheiser HD 180. When RH-508 sounds great but quietly, VSD1 and HD 180 sounds like they need an amp. VSD1 sound with Sansa Clip Zip is great, with Sabre U2 sound is too bassy and dark, too much bass and less anything else, but it has wider soundstage and more details. HD 180 is too quiet, I can't comment it's unamped sound. I successfully connected Sabre U2 to my android tablet, but it's sounds worse than while connected to my laptop.

What do you suggest?

post #11 of 13
Time for an amp! Or maybe an amp/DAC combo like a Dragonfly or JDS C5D
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

Is there any sense in buying an amp/DAC combo if I already have DAC? What amp do you suggest (in same price range, $50-80)?

post #13 of 13
Check out a cmoy or maybe a secondhand Fiio E11 or E7.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Cheap amp and IEM for HiFimeDIY Sabre U2