I'm still a newbie when it comes to the world of headphones, but I've had my share of decent headphones that I have enjoyed. My last pair, AKG K 242 HD, was just laid to rest after 3 years of good service so I'm going to need another pair. I really liked the AKGs but I'm concerned about few things.
I use my headphones for BOTH listening music and making it. This is a problem because while I liked the AKGs, they were a bit flat for normal music listening. I really like that punchy bass that you can really feel in your ear, without overpowering mids and highs. I liked how bright my AKGs were, but a little more bass would be appreciated. However they were pretty good for mixing and mastering and such. So I kind of want best of both worlds if that's possible. I like to listen mostly rock and metal, but I like music of all sorts so sometimes I listen some acoustic and orchestral music for example.
- I have a budget of ~150$
- I would really prefer not having an amp.
- Mostly for indoor use. Plugged to my computer
- I like over the ear headphones and comfort like my AKGs had is a big plus.
- I prefer open-back headphones
- I'm a bit rough with my headphones so a strong cord or replaceable one is preferred.
So basically I want a similar pair to AKG K 242 HDs, but with a little more pronounced and stronger bass. I realize I'll probably have to compromise, but I want to get as close as possible.