Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › HD800 being "picky" with amps myth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800 being "picky" with amps myth - Page 7

post #91 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdict View Post

This is an interesting topic and there is a lot to be learned. Based on my first experiments I am already convinced that EQ-ing is much more rewarding (and cheaper!) than hunting for the most synergistic amp-phones combination.

Yup. But one doesn't preclude the other, and one learns which is more beneficial by trying both.
post #92 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post


Yup. But one doesn't preclude the other, and one learns which is more beneficial by trying both.

I have to agree. EQ-ing is not for everyone and may not be practical in some situations. For me it's a way to fight my tendencies towards becoming overly obsessed with gear, anyway.

post #93 of 239
Never got an answer on one question, though. Should one EQ away the ear canal resonance at 6-8 kHz? Why, why not?
post #94 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkawaiiO View Post
 

Soo I got my HD800 for 3 days. About this amp picky part i think it sounds great out of everything lol. One thing is im now pretty confident is that the aune T1( stock tubes) and the Schiit Asgard 2 sound EXACTLY the same.... yea.... HD 800 makes some song that have too much highs kinda hard to listen. 

 

Last point from my memory HD800 had a bigger sound stage than this lol maybe its because of the asgard 2? idk .


Or your point from memory isn't as accurate as you think it is.

 

Not trying to be snide. It's just that I am quite sure it's a much more likely explanation. Especially because I don't know any amps that increase sound stage, nor are they supposed to. Not without dsp anyway.

post #95 of 239
i think its because before i wasnt used to high end headphones before and now im always listening to headphones with good sound stage. hd 800 just dont sound as big as before, its all relative.
post #96 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Never got an answer on one question, though. Should one EQ away the ear canal resonance at 6-8 kHz? Why, why not?
Yes such a resonance is not part of FM curves or normal response. Rather an artifact of phones. So EQ it out.
post #97 of 239
Sure, but why doesn't one experience said resonance in everyday life, is it due to the placement of the headphone speakers?
post #98 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Sure, but why doesn't one experience said resonance in everyday life, is it due to the placement of the headphone speakers?


Correct. It's the added acoustic reflections from the headphones on and around the ear that permit high-Q modes to exist that aren't present otherwise in the absence of headphones.

 

 

Cheers

post #99 of 239
Great, thank you for the answers!
post #100 of 239
800's absolutely shine with the Burson Soloist. Reaching the Sens full dynamic potential is fully achieved. I know some have said that the treble and sibilance are a bit piercing at times but buying a really great DAC can clean up that problem instantly by smoothing it out with the rich and warm analog sound that of course a DAC carries. wink.gif
You don't have to go crazy and risk coloring the 800's dynamics in place of a warmer vinyl like sound by opting for a tube amp or cable upgrades. Personally the cable upgrade game is really tricky and people should be very careful with their $$ when looking into those matters. When you already have high end gear in your sound chain AMP+DAC+headphones cables can really only create differences that are very small. Like 5 to 10%.
post #101 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephilim32 View Post

800's absolutely shine with the Burson Soloist. Reaching the Sens full dynamic potential is fully achieved. I know some have said that the treble and sibilance are a bit piercing at times but buying a really great DAC can clean up that problem instantly by smoothing it out with the rich and warm analog sound that of course a DAC carries. wink.gif
You don't have to go crazy and risk coloring the 800's dynamics in place of a warmer vinyl like sound by opting for a tube amp or cable upgrades. Personally the cable upgrade game is really tricky and people should be very careful with their $$ when looking into those matters. When you already have high end gear in your sound chain AMP+DAC+headphones cables can really only create differences that are very small. Like 5 to 10%.


Right, the warm and analog sound only really great expensive dacs carry. What a nonsense.

post #102 of 239
This is the same BS I have to put up with on the HD800 thread.  They said my DAC isn't good enough, and then my amp.  They said my amp has 0 output impedance and it should have 40??? WTF??  
 
Of course, if I find flaws in the headphone, it's my DAC or my Amp.  :rolleyes:  Such a convenient answer.  It is so obvious HD800 is overly bright.  And they say it needs a good amp.  whatever.  So, I should look for rolled off DAC?  Should I look for a tube DAC??  rediculous.
 
From my experience here, you can sniff some of the BS in the threads.  

Edited by SilverEars - 7/5/14 at 5:52pm
post #103 of 239

The advice used most often is listen to it, and it will get better.  :rolleyes:


Edited by SilverEars - 7/5/14 at 6:13pm
post #104 of 239
If you mod it, it will sound noticeably less peaky. As a cheap experiment, try pairing it with a Vali for some warmth. Modded HD800 + Vali will still be on the brighter side but you might at least be able to enjoy it.

But maybe that won't be enough. Maybe nothing can make it work for you. That's OK. HD800 isn't for everyone. I haven't bought one.
post #105 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

If you mod it, it will sound noticeably less peaky. As a cheap experiment, try pairing it with a Vali for some warmth. Modded HD800 + Vali will still be on the brighter side but you might at least be able to enjoy it.

But maybe that won't be enough. Maybe nothing can make it work for you. That's OK. HD800 isn't for everyone. I haven't bought one.

I just EQ'd it.  Dropped 8k peak.  Reduced harshness to the vocal treble. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › HD800 being "picky" with amps myth