or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Is the FLAC format "outdated"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the FLAC format "outdated"?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

So,

 

I was reading some articles last night about file formats, mostly in regard to my iPod classic, and someone wrote that the FLAC format is "outdated" and recommended converting your files to Apple's lossless format to play nice with the iPod. 

 

I just ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC files, am I behind the curve here?  Is there any advantage to another lossless file format? Other than playing nice with an iPod, I'm willing to jailbreak my iPod classic, is there a format that is more versatile?

 

Thanks so much for any feedback.

post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtankfish12 View Post
 

So,

 

I was reading some articles last night about file formats, mostly in regard to my iPod classic, and someone wrote that the FLAC format is "outdated" and recommended converting your files to Apple's lossless format to play nice with the iPod. 

 

I just ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC files, am I behind the curve here?  Is there any advantage to another lossless file format? Other than playing nice with an iPod, I'm willing to jailbreak my iPod classic, is there a format that is more versatile?

 

Thanks so much for any feedback.

 

Apple's lossless format ALAC, is Apple's version of FLAC (a lossless format).

I'm guessing you can't play FLAC on an iPod.

Sell off the iPod, just about any good quality (non-Apple) DAP (Digital Audio Player) will play FLAC.

Check out the Firmware Rockbox, i believe it can be used on a lot of lower costing portable audio players, allowing it to play FLAC on them.

post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtankfish12 View Post
 

So,

 

I was reading some articles last night about file formats, mostly in regard to my iPod classic, and someone wrote that the FLAC format is "outdated" and recommended converting your files to Apple's lossless format to play nice with the iPod.

 

I just ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC files, am I behind the curve here?  Is there any advantage to another lossless file format? Other than playing nice with an iPod, I'm willing to jailbreak my iPod classic, is there a format that is more versatile?

 

Thanks so much for any feedback.

 

Hello fishtank,

 

Well, I don't see how a lossless format can become outdated.  Lossless is lossless no matter how you slice it.  It depends what your player supports.  I use ALAC, FLAC and WavPack for different applications.  If you rockbox your Classic then many formats can be used.  If you keep it original, then ALAC is the way to go.

 

Cheers!!!!!

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFan12 View Post
 

 

Hello fishtank,

 

Well, I don't see how a lossless format can become outdated.  Lossless is lossless no matter how you slice it.  It depends what your player supports.  I use ALAC, FLAC and WavPack for different applications.  If you rockbox your Classic then many formats can be used.  If you keep it original, then ALAC is the way to go.

 

Cheers!!!!!

 

http://www.rockbox.org/

post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

http://www.rockbox.org/

 

Thanks!

 

I thought since jailbreaking was mentioned, that the OP meant RB

post #6 of 24

outdated

 

so was this some rabid apple fanboi forum?

 

basically lossless is lossless and flac is the default standard for lossless audio.  with one exception, it wont work on apple stuff so just to be arses they have alac.

 

so if you want to use ipods use alac, anything else flac.

post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFan12 View Post
 

 

Thanks!

 

I thought since jailbreaking was mentioned, that the OP meant RB

 

I did mean RockBox, just debating whether going down that road or if it would be preferable to convert to another format.  Doesn't seem to be a lossless format that is "in the lead".

post #8 of 24

That's one of the biggest bullsh!t "facts" I've ever heard. FLAC isn't outdated by any means. FLAC can be used on all players, except crApple, so unless you're fruit-exclusive, I'd keep the FLAC files and jailbreak your iPod.

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtankfish12 View Post
 

 

I did mean RockBox, just debating whether going down that road or if it would be preferable to convert to another format.  Doesn't seem to be a lossless format that is "in the lead".

 

If you prefer using Apple products and interface, then just Rip your CD collection to ALAC.

Or Just Rockbox your iPod, I believe Rockbox will add features for customizing playback on the iPod

and Rockbox is free.

 

I'm not sure why someone would tell you FLAC is outdated, I believe there is some formats better then FLAC/ALAC

I'm not sure there is currently anything "practical" for replacing it, for the everyday person.

post #10 of 24

Rock Box will not work on 6th Generation iPod Classics. :( :angry_face:

post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaaz View Post
 

Rock Box will not work on 6th Generation iPod Classics. :( :angry_face:

 

Dang, you're right...mine is a 6th generation...

post #12 of 24

Okay. So I figured I would chime in here with a question... why Apple? I have a Sansa Clip with external microUSB card. It was 40$. It plays FLAC fine. The amount of time you will spend to reburn your stuff might be worth the time to just pick up a Sansa. Those things also sound amazing even on extremely high end headphones. I have a pair of Sure se425's and it sounds incredible. The problem that Apple faced was that there was a product which was excellent but open source. They most likely took FLAC, modified it slightly and charged an extra 30 cents for each song. 

 

FLAC is not outdated. It most likely never will be with the support it has... ALAC might be though. If apple refuses to support it's own proprietary format, expect it to become outdated. Notice how many devices support firewire. 

post #13 of 24
The reason that FLAC does not work on Apple products is because Apple chooses for it not to, and Apple prefers to do everything that they can to trap people into their computer/electronic eco system to make them more dependent on Apple products. Even more reason to stick with FLAC, IMO.
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix404 View Post
 

Okay. So I figured I would chime in here with a question... why Apple? I have a Sansa Clip with external microUSB card. It was 40$. It plays FLAC fine. The amount of time you will spend to reburn your stuff might be worth the time to just pick up a Sansa. Those things also sound amazing even on extremely high end headphones. I have a pair of Sure se425's and it sounds incredible. The problem that Apple faced was that there was a product which was excellent but open source. They most likely took FLAC, modified it slightly and charged an extra 30 cents for each song. 

 

FLAC is not outdated. It most likely never will be with the support it has... ALAC might be though. If apple refuses to support it's own proprietary format, expect it to become outdated. Notice how many devices support firewire. 

 

To answer your question, why Apple:

 

1) because it's what I have, i got it as a gift years ago and it's still in mint shape

2) i like the storage capacity, there aren't a lot of HDD players out there anymore, I like to have my whole library

3) say what you will about Apple's functionality, their design is top-notch, I love how it looks and interacts

 

I assume you meant microSD card?  I've looked into that, but that only gets me an extra 64GB without the price of the card being more than the player.

 

I've been looking for the Cowon X7, I can't find it for purchase anywhere....

post #15 of 24

Excellent points. Actually, what I would do (unless you have an extremely good set of headphones) is convert into MP3 320k. It is far more compatible, that is if you are going to convert. I say MP3 knowing the crowd but also knowing that ALAC is quite proprietary. If you want wide spread audio support and FLAC isn't an option, mp3's are the second best. Almost everything will play them, even Apple but I swear that Apple employees shed a tear every time an mp3 is played on their device. 

 

I suppose what I was bringing up is that if you have a large library which is all FLAC, spending 40$ to get a 4GB player isn't unreasonable. You might have one that works, but you can get a Sansa Clip for so short money that spending hours converting your stuff might not be worth it. 

 

I have almost exclusively FLAC audio. To convert my collection to anything would take days. Don't discount the Sansa. It is only 40$ and the sd card can be twice that or more, but that little player really kicks ass. Getting 70GB of stuff on my tiny clip is awesome and for about 80$ too. I was greatly surprised by it, and for the money, you can't beat it. The expansion slot also means that you can get what apple charges $500+ for about 100. Besides, 70GB of audio is a ton. Yea, it isn't as large as 250GB players, but it is really quite large. 

 

The UI is a bit tiny and the buttons are too small and if you require the apple UI, which admittedly is awesome, then perhaps spending the time to convert everything might be worth while. If you are using your player for commuting or working out (like I do), the clip kicks ass. It is small, sounds excellent, and the UI isn't total garbage. Basically, I would keep it as an option, if you don't want to convert everything from FLAC. Only apple doesn't support FLAC. I might keep that in mind when you want or need a new player. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Is the FLAC format "outdated"?