or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New portable headphones - Mid/high fi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New portable headphones - Mid/high fi

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hello all,

 

After purchasing the fidelio X1 last year, I realized that I should upgrade my portable setup as well.

I've been living with the Sennheiser 212 pro for as long as I can remember (awesome value for a ridiculously small price !), and while I still intend to use them as long as they function, I need something better for everyday's commute.

 

What I'm looking for in terms of sound is ideally something close to my X1 : wide and airy (as much as can be for a closed pair), with a tight bass, but not too overwhelming, a bit on the fun side. I don't really like when the treble dominates the sound, I prefer a good balance between mids / bass and a relatively discrete treble (not too much!).

Cans should be circumaural, as I never found any comfortable supraaural pair, but you can advise me otherwise. Above all, they have to be durable, as I would wear them almost everyday to go to work, or while travelling (which I do quite a lot).

 

I've been looking at closed, portable cans for a while now and I must say I am a bit out of ideas, or can't seem to decide on one.

Here is what I've been looking at / tried :

 

- Sennheiser Momentum : an obvious upgrade from my 212 Pro, I tried them a couple times at an airport. It's obviously not the best place to try headphones, but it gave me a general idea of its sound signature. I found the bass to be a bit too punchy, in a way that it drowns out the other frequencies, and limits the airiness of the sound.

- Bower and Wilkins : tried all their models, never seemed to like it for some reason.

- NAD Viso HP 50 : tried those once for a limited amount of time, i thought they had a great soundstage for closed cans, but i didnt have enough time to analyse their sound signature, so those are still a possibility.

- Bang & Olufsen H6 : those cans look great, but I never tried them, so any advice on those is appreciated

- I actually bought the Thinksound On1, even though they are on ear, but encountered various problems with those that made the experience just uncomfortable : Clamping force too tight, microphonics were annoying, and the treble was too dominant for my taste. I even encountered some sibilance. I had to return them. They looked awesome though.

- I looked at the AEDLE VK1, which looks great as well, but since they are supraaural, im not sure how they would suit me.

 

That's about all I've thought about, but I'm sure there are some hidden gems out there ! So if you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Price wise, I wouldnt mind paying below 500pounds, but I can spend more if it's really worth it.

 

Sorry for the amount of text, do let me know if you need any precisions.

Thanks !

post #2 of 25

PSB M4U 2 is great for a portable pair of headphones.

post #3 of 25

Given your sound signature preference, I recommend the NAD Viso HP 50.

post #4 of 25
Theres also the yamaha pro500 and polk audio ultrafocus 8000
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Thanks for you answers.

The PSB seems like the perfect tool for travellers, can you expand on its sound signature ? How is the comfort ?
Indeed, the NAD got my attention, if you own the pair can you perhaps comment on its comfort and durability in the long term ?

I checked the Yamaha, I dont think those will be a good match. Impressions of it were that it is a very bassy headphone.
The Ultrafocus, I've never heard of it, nor of the brand for that matters. Can you expand what you like / don't like about this pair ?
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeru92 View Post

Thanks for you answers.

The PSB seems like the perfect tool for travellers, can you expand on its sound signature ? How is the comfort ?
Indeed, the NAD got my attention, if you own the pair can you perhaps comment on its comfort and durability in the long term ?

I checked the Yamaha, I dont think those will be a good match. Impressions of it were that it is a very bassy headphone.
The Ultrafocus, I've never heard of it, nor of the brand for that matters. Can you expand what you like / don't like about this pair ?

The PSB has a VERY neutral sound signature, but its not lacking in any of the three. The comfort is top notch, and even has gyroscopic earpads for comfort.

The Yamaha IS very bassy.

The ultrafocus is usually a budget option....

post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeru92 View Post

Thanks for you answers.

The PSB seems like the perfect tool for travellers, can you expand on its sound signature ? How is the comfort ?
Indeed, the NAD got my attention, if you own the pair can you perhaps comment on its comfort and durability in the long term ?

I checked the Yamaha, I dont think those will be a good match. Impressions of it were that it is a very bassy headphone.
The Ultrafocus, I've never heard of it, nor of the brand for that matters. Can you expand what you like / don't like about this pair ?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones-page-3
You can find frequency response graphs from golden ears
http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Headphones/17759
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsamuraisoldi View Post

The PSB has a VERY neutral sound signature, but its not lacking in any of the three. The comfort is top notch, and even has gyroscopic earpads for comfort.
The Yamaha IS very bassy.
The ultrafocus is usually a budget option....
Ummm
Ultrafocus isn't a brand
Polk audio is the brand
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsamuraisoldi View Post

The PSB has a VERY neutral sound signature, but its not lacking in any of the three. The comfort is top notch, and even has gyroscopic earpads for comfort.
The Yamaha IS very bassy.
The ultrafocus is usually a budget option....
Innerfidelity rates the polks as the best sounding noise cancelling headphone
post #10 of 25
The pro 500's price has dropped a lot (to half its original msrp)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413643,00.asp
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-yamaha-pro-500-headphone
http://www.head-fi.org/t/653626/yamaha-hph-pro-500-review
They do have elevated bass but definetly not up to basshead levels
post #11 of 25
The fidelio x1 is considered fun and bassy here as well.
Check ot innerfidelity's measurements
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunehdrocks View Post

The fidelio x1 is considered fun and bassy here as well.
Check ot innerfidelity's measurements

Yes, I was about to mention that, InnerFidelity's review of noise cancelling headphones ranked it as the best. And I was referring to the Ultrafocus 8000 as the "ultrafocus", I am fully aware that the brand name is Polk.

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsamuraisoldi View Post
 

Yes, I was about to mention that, InnerFidelity's review of noise cancelling headphones ranked it as the best. And I was referring to the Ultrafocus 8000 as the "ultrafocus", I am fully aware that the brand name is Polk.


I don't think a $300 headphone is a "budget" option

post #14 of 25
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunehdrocks View Post
 


I don't think a $300 headphone is a "budget" option

It's 100 dollars cheaper than the PSB M4U 2

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New portable headphones - Mid/high fi