Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Open back headphones for ~$200?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Open back headphones for ~$200?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I used to have Grado sr60i's. (sold them to a friend who is new to good audio)

 

I currently own Grado sr80i's.

 

I plan on selling them to buy Grado 225i's. (im getting addicted to the open back sound)

 

Are there other OPEN BACK headphones that you guys recommend?  Anything but Sennheiser 598s.. too big for me and I hate the color LOL...

 

I listen to  alternative rock, house, noise, hip hop, industrial, some pop dance stuff, pop punk, BASICALLY a wide variety of things....  Not really classical or normal rock. or latin or dubstep.

post #2 of 11

Try the DT990. They're open back headphones that have been known to perform well with the genres you mentioned. I actually owned the 598 as my second taste of audiophile sound and I loved it.. The AKG Q701 is pretty great too, but they're pretty big as well. Grado actually has one of the smallest soundstage's outta all the open backs you'll find..

The only one I think would fit your tastes as far as sound AND looks is the AKG K240 MK2.. It isn't a fully open can though. Just semi-open.. But they aren't huge like most others.

post #3 of 11

The DT990 is a wonderful choice, and is currently very inexpensive on Amazon. (My review is in my signature.) I owned the SR80i, like you, and loved them. But the DT990 is in a whole different league.

post #4 of 11
Also, consider the AKG K612 Pros. I've been listening to mine more than my Grados as of late. Very versatile headphone that works well with a wide variety of music. But it does need a headphone amp.
post #5 of 11
Philips fidelio x1 can be found in that range. Wonderful.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencis0 View Post
 

I used to have Grado sr60i's. (sold them to a friend who is new to good audio)

 

I currently own Grado sr80i's.

 

I plan on selling them to buy Grado 225i's. (I'm getting addicted to the open back sound)

 

Are there other OPEN BACK headphones that you guys recommend?  Anything but Sennheiser 598s.. too big for me and I hate the color LOL...

 

I listen to  alternative rock, house, noise, hip hop, industrial, some pop dance stuff, pop punk, BASICALLY a wide variety of things....  Not really classical or normal rock. or latin or dubstep.

 

Why not just stick to the Grado 225i?

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I don't have the 225i's yet.
I just wanted to know if there were better options before I went forth with it.

Weirdly enough, I like open back headphones because I use them in the cities of Massachusetts. I want to know if theres a car about it to hit me, or a guy about to stab me lol smily_headphones1.gif

FYI I use them primarily on my phone. I'm 22 and in college. I don't have the extra money or space or a car for ipod or amps or anything like that
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencis0 View Post

Thanks. I don't have the 225i's yet.
I just wanted to know if there were better options before I went forth with it.

Weirdly enough, I like open back headphones because I use them in the cities of Massachusetts. I want to know if theres a car about it to hit me, or a guy about to stab me lol smily_headphones1.gif

FYI I use them primarily on my phone. I'm 22 and in college. I don't have the extra money or space or a car for ipod or amps or anything like that

You know what, if you like the Grado Sound, then I'd get the 225i

 

Nothing sounds like a grado except a grado, the K612 needs an amp so ditch that idea,  the dt 990 needs an amp so DITCH that idea, the Fidelio X1 will be TOTALLY different from what your used to so I'd skip it as well, look to explore NEW sounds when your not on a budget lol,

 

SO that said, I'd get the Grado 225i and enjoy it 

 

you might want to also look into getting a Dac/Amp to work with your Phone in the future just to get that extra awesome sound out of it, 

post #9 of 11

Not to try to steal the OP's thread or anything, but I was interested in a good set of open headphones as well to use around the house.  I started reading up on the DT990s after the first couple of recommendations and there are a lot of complaints of overly high treble.  Does anyone here that owns them believe that is the case?  I seem to be extremely sensitive to high frequencies and would probably light them on fire if I spent that much and they bothered me.

 

 I listen to everything but country music and currently own V-MODA M80, Meelec A151, TDK BA200, JVC FXZ100, and PortaPros.  I don't find that any of these bother my ears when it comes to the high notes, but I don't know how they would compare to the DT990.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylv View Post
 

Not to try to steal the OP's thread or anything, but I was interested in a good set of open headphones as well to use around the house.  I started reading up on the DT990s after the first couple of recommendations and there are a lot of complaints of overly high treble.  Does anyone here that owns them believe that is the case?  I seem to be extremely sensitive to high frequencies and would probably light them on fire if I spent that much and they bothered me.

 

 I listen to everything but country music and currently own V-MODA M80, Meelec A151, TDK BA200, JVC FXZ100, and PortaPros.  I don't find that any of these bother my ears when it comes to the high notes, but I don't know how they would compare to the DT990.

Now for YOU the  Fidelio X1 might be a good choice! The DT 990 and X1 share a... equally " fun" sound from what I hear, but where as the DT 990 is bright the X1 is "dark" 

post #11 of 11
Thanks, I'll look into them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Open back headphones for ~$200?