Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 or no?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 or no?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, the Q701's are on sale right now for $150.. I already have the Fidelio X1s, Sennheiser Momentums, and the Shure SE535s. Should I buy them? I have a feeling they won't be much better than anything I already have but 1) they look cool and 2) it's such a good price.

post #2 of 11

Save your money as you already have comparable headphones.

post #3 of 11

For $150 why not just buy them? You should be able to resell them if you don't like them.

 

IMO they're worth around $250.

 

If you don't have an amp and have no plans to get one in the future i'd just skip them honestly.

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

For $150 why not just buy them? You should be able to resell them if you don't like them.

 

IMO they're worth around $250.

 

If you don't have an amp and have no plans to get one in the future i'd just skip them honestly.

 

Using an Xonar Essence STX -> Bravo Ocean right now. I just bought a $300 watch and was planning to get a PS4 in September.. trying to justify this..lol

post #5 of 11

unless u listen to classicals..or instrumentals alot, i would skip this can.

i disliked vocals on this can.

post #6 of 11

They'll be different to the X1 not necessarily better, depending on what type of music you enjoy. 

 

What genres do you listen to? The Q701 is a brighter and thinner sounding headphone than the X1, but you can always mod it for some improvements. Its fantastic for soundtracks, acoustic, classical and ambient, at least to my ears.

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 

I would say I listen to a little bit of everything, classic rock more than anything, but I do enjoy acoustic, instrumental, classical, etc. Just not sure if they'd be that much better than what I have already?

post #8 of 11

Like I said, at that price point its not necessarily better, but a side grade or different sound in that mid fi group. A real upgrade might be going to a crack/Senn 650 for example.

 

Philips X1

- strong bass/elevated bass

- slightly more laid back mids

- very slight treble bump, rarely noticeable imo

- moderate soundstage size

- overall a slightly darker and more fun/head bopping sound

- much better build quality imo

 

Q701

- weaker/less extended bass - has a mod to rectify somewhat - will not be as strong as the X1 though

- very detailed and complete mids - somewhat thin sounding to my ears at times, but some prefer them over my type of SS

- large soundstage, but still not the biggest around

- very high detail level, seems more detailed than the X1

- brighter sound and more prominent treble

- a bit more plasticy than the X1 in terms of build

 

Both were very comfortable when I tried them.

 

I think the Q701 would be a fantastic complimentary can to the X1 as they both sound different and can provide great quality for different genres.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
 

Like I said, at that price point its not necessarily better, but a side grade or different sound in that mid fi group. A real upgrade might be going to a crack/Senn 650 for example.

 

Philips X1

- strong bass/elevated bass

- slightly more laid back mids

- very slight treble bump, rarely noticeable imo

- moderate soundstage size

- overall a slightly darker and more fun/head bopping sound

- much better build quality imo

 

Q701

- weaker/less extended bass - has a mod to rectify somewhat - will not be as strong as the X1 though

- very detailed and complete mids - somewhat thin sounding to my ears at times, but some prefer them over my type of SS

- large soundstage, but still not the biggest around

- very high detail level, seems more detailed than the X1

- brighter sound and more prominent treble

- a bit more plasticy than the X1 in terms of build

 

Both were very comfortable when I tried them.

 

I think the Q701 would be a fantastic complimentary can to the X1 as they both sound different and can provide great quality for different genres.

 

Alright, how would you rate them versus the Sennheiser Momentums then?

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post

Hey guys, the Q701's are on sale right now for $150.. I already have the Fidelio X1s, Sennheiser Momentums, and the Shure SE535s. Should I buy them? I have a feeling they won't be much better than anything I already have but 1) they look cool and 2) it's such a good price.

I already own a pair and at $150 I am tempted to get another. I think a new Q701 at that price is a steal. It will be complementary to what you have and that price worth having even if it is not an all rounder for you or our number 1 can. I am considering several higher end cans that if I purchased would likely become my number one go to can, but I would never get rid of my Q701 if for no other reason than I love it's soundstage, particularly with classical, but frankly for all kinds of music and short of getting the HD 800 I am not sure where else I could get my soundstage fix when I needed it.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post
 

 

Alright, how would you rate them versus the Sennheiser Momentums then?

 

I haven't heard the Momentum. Someone else will need to chime in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 or no?