or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Was it a good choice ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Was it a good choice ?

Poll Results: Yes or No ? Please elaborate why

 
  • 100% (1)
    Yes
  • 0% (0)
    No
1 Total Vote  
post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hello, i hope there isn't another thread with the same question. At least i didn't find one.

So, may i ask you guys, who have a lot more experiance with professional audio equipment than me, whether my graduation gift to myself was a good choice.

I was planning on spending around 100$(shipping all the way to Bulgaria included) on a new pair of headphones.

 

The word that describes my attitude towards music and sound quality best is dilettante. I am not an expert at all, but i highly appreciate good sound quality.

 

I finally decided to step into the big boys leage, so to say, and bought AKG K240, which i saw were on sale, and i had also seen them in some articles about good quality headphones.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K-240-Professional-Audio-Semi-Open-High-Definition-Wired-Headphones-Black-/351091172519?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item51beaa24a7

 

The price + shipping fee was about 95$

 

I hope this will be a huge improvement from my Canyon CNL-HP03X, which probably nobody has even heard of :D

 

My main question is, did i made a good choice with the AKG k240s or was there sometihng better i could have spent my money on.

PS (shipping to Bulgaria is usually about 20-40$)

 

Before i bought them i was wondering whether to buy one of these:

Akg K451

Sony MDR-v55

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

 

But at the moment the K451 and the M50 were about 110$ without the shipping fee. And the MDR-v55 were recieving very mixed reviews.

So, was it a good choice?

post #2 of 8
Thread Starter 

anyone there?

post #3 of 8

the akg k240 is definitely a solid headphone for the price. I've had it for about two and a half years and I still use it today when I'm looking for a lightweight headphone that can be worn for a long time with no comfort issues. The m-50 is more portable and has more powerful bass. However, being as it is closed, it doesn't offer the soundstage that the k240 can. After listening to open headphones, I find it hard to go back to closed headphones as the soundstage is usually too small for my liking.

 

I haven't heard the other two headphones so I can't say anything about them, though I've read that the k451 is also a good choice.

 

But as always, believe in your decision and you won't be disappointed. As I said above, I still listen to my k240s despite having the mad dogs. I have no regrets at all in buying this pair :smile:

post #4 of 8

Around this price there is no better, only "as good".

 

But you will need an amp now :(

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlarkKentThe3rd View Post
 

Around this price there is no better, only "as good".

 

But you will need an amp now :(

Would a simple Fiio E6 do the job or i will need to save up for an E11 for use with my Xperia S  or rather get some other amp+dac that i will be able to use on my pc as well because the soundcard i have is as simple as it gets.

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniMax View Post
 

Would a simple Fiio E6 do the job or i will need to save up for an E11 for use with my Xperia S  or rather get some other amp+dac that i will be able to use on my pc as well because the soundcard i have is as simple as it gets.

I am starting to lean towards E07 now, as i am reading that the E11 has to be charged before used as DAC on a PC.
 lol i won't be needing a wallet anymore there won't be anything to put in it :D

The headphones are due to arrive in about 3 weeks so lets hope the amp/dac will have a shorter or similar shipping time.

post #7 of 8

Neither the E6 nor the E11 are dacs; they're both just amps. I used to have the original E7, and though it functioned as a very nice dac, I feel that it kind of lacked a bit in the amp section. However, having tried the E17 recently, it definitely does not fall short in the amping so I'd assume the E07k wouldn't have much of a problem with the k240. Another amp worth considering in that price range is the ibasso d-zero.

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasashi View Post
 

Neither the E6 nor the E11 are dacs; they're both just amps. I used to have the original E7, and though it functioned as a very nice dac, I feel that it kind of lacked a bit in the amp section. However, having tried the E17 recently, it definitely does not fall short in the amping so I'd assume the E07k wouldn't have much of a problem with the k240. Another amp worth considering in that price range is the ibasso d-zero.

the ibasso review i checked seem to praise it well but one of the cons it has

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571116/review-ibasso-d-zero-with-fiio-e7-comparison

 

-Battery life is 1/2 of the E7

 

Is too drastic to overlook.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Was it a good choice ?