or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) - Page 16  

post #226 of 714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGrado View Post

 

If you are going to go Orange, Pantone 151 is the only orange that matters! :D

 

I gotta admit-- I had to look up Pantone 151 to see just who you were supporting there. You, sir, have exemplary taste in colleges, and I salute you. :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGrado View Post
 

So yes, I will indeed be bringing my entire iFi collection, which includes their latest/greatest DAC/headphone amp.

 

iDSD Micro.  Here is my head-fi review...

 

Also, the iUSB Power supply, external iPurifier (The Micro iDSD has one built in)

 

and I will be bringing the dual headed Gemini USB cable.  

 

Looking forward to it!  Actually looking forward to 'showing off' the iDSD Micro.  I think y'all might be pleasantly surprised at how much performance Thorsten Loesch of iFi/AMR has squeezed out of $500...

 

The iFi line gets some pretty good press from what I've read, and I wanna know if splitting off the USB power would make any difference with my Hilo. Really looking forward to it too, man!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

Jay and Theogenes just need to learn that once you go orange, you don't go back🍊!

 

I agree entirely-- as long as it's the right orange, and isn't accompanied by reptiles and blue. :D

post #227 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
 

 

I gotta admit-- I had to look up Pantone 151 to see just who you were supporting there. You, sir, have exemplary taste in colleges, and I salute you. :D

 

 

The iFi line gets some pretty good press from what I've read, and I wanna know if splitting off the USB power would make any difference with my Hilo. Really looking forward to it too, man!!

 

 

I agree entirely-- as long as it's the right orange, and isn't accompanied by reptiles and blue. :D

is that orange "hillbilly orange" lol :tongue:

post #228 of 714
Thread Starter 
Them's fightin' words there, Jay!!

tongue.gif
post #229 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

Them's fightin' words there, Jay!!

tongue.gif

 

there's worse oranges than hillbilly orange, what about that orange from SC ?? i'll take you hill folks over those  guys

post #230 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
 

 

 

 

The iFi line gets some pretty good press from what I've read, and I wanna know if splitting off the USB power would make any difference with my Hilo. Really looking forward to it too, man!!

 

 

 

 

That is just the thing... I think it depends on how much your DAC actually relies on the 5v USB power line.   Some are totally powered but it, Some are powered externally, but the USB receiver still needs the USB power to function, and some are totally independent of the line.  

 

Theoretically all three could benefit, with of course the last example the least.  If your DAC doesn't use USB power at all, the only benefit is keeping 'dirty' power out of your DAC where it might spread noise inadvertently to other components.  But, if you have a DAC like that, I would think the better and maybe cheaper solution is to use a USB cable or adapter that cuts the 5v line at the source, for even 'clean' power where it isn't needed is imo to be avoided, too.  

 

All that said, I am not not really sure if it would do much for the Hilo, but it is worth a shot!  I can say with certainty, though, it made a large difference with the Audioquest Dragonfly.

post #231 of 714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

there's worse oranges than hillbilly orange, what about that orange from SC ?? i'll take you hill folks over those  guys

I'll cautiously agree and thank you... But I've laid out my scufflin' britches just in case...

tongue.gif
post #232 of 714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGrado View Post

That is just the thing... I think it depends on how much your DAC actually relies on the 5v USB power line.   Some are totally powered but it, Some are powered externally, but the USB receiver still needs the USB power to function, and some are totally independent of the line.  

Theoretically all three could benefit, with of course the last example the least.  If your DAC doesn't use USB power at all, the only benefit is keeping 'dirty' power out of your DAC where it might spread noise inadvertently to other components.  But, if you have a DAC like that, I would think the better and maybe cheaper solution is to use a USB cable or adapter that cuts the 5v line at the source, for even 'clean' power where it isn't needed is imo to be avoided, too.  

All that said, I am not not really sure if it would do much for the Hilo, but it is worth a shot!  I can say with certainty, though, it made a large difference with the Audioquest Dragonfly.

Yeah, that's kind of what I arrived at when I started reading around on it a few months ago. Curious to listen with my own personal ear-holes and see if there's a difference. If not, hey-- more money to spend elsewhere! smily_headphones1.gif
post #233 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

I gotta admit-- I had to look up Pantone 151 to see just who you were supporting there. You, sir, have exemplary taste in colleges, and I salute you. biggrin.gif


The iFi line gets some pretty good press from what I've read, and I wanna know if splitting off the USB power would make any difference with my Hilo. Really looking forward to it too, man!!


I agree entirely-- as long as it's the right orange, and isn't accompanied by reptiles and blue. biggrin.gif

Theogenes, MLGrado, Being a former Linebacker, several concusions, at least one too many 😲! I also had to l had to look up Pantone 151, they used to play some decent football in Knoxville, and sadly Gainesville as well, gotta love them though.

I am looking forward to hearing the iFi iDSD Micro, I really like my Nano, would like to see if the Micro can drive my 560's and Alpha Dogs, so I am not chained to my desk at home.

Theogenes, thank you for all of your work and putting this together, it is growing more freakin fantastic daily, counting the days to 9/20!
post #234 of 714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

Theogenes, MLGrado, Being a former Linebacker, several concusions, at least one too many 😲! I also had to l had to look up Pantone 151, they used to play some decent football in Knoxville, and sadly Gainesville as well, gotta love them though.

I am looking forward to hearing the iFi iDSD Micro, I really like my Nano, would like to see if the Micro can drive my 560's and Alpha Dogs, so I am not chained to my desk at home.

Theogenes, thank you for all of your work and putting this together, it is growing more freakin fantastic daily, counting the days to 9/20!

 

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how far Tennessee and Florida have both fallen... I'm ready to get back to having the UT-Bama and UT-Florida games actually mean something again. Because they just don't right now, and it drives me nuts, in case that wasn't obvious. :blink:

 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some of the iFi stuff. They had a bunch of their gear at the AVCOA meeting in Atlanta right before the first Nashville meet, but I didn't have enough time to check it out. I even dig their aesthetic, and really like the little stands they have for their gear. Perfect for an office or desk without a lot of space, and pretty attractive to boot! 

 

Work? I don't even know what that word means ;). But thanks man, and I agree-- this is really shaping up nicely!! There are a couple of story lines that I'm pretty interested in checking out in particular. For example (with the understanding that these aren't complete lists, and are utterly personal preferences): 

  • Best T50rp Modification: Alpha Dogs, ZMF Vibro, ZMF V1, or Paradox Slant? (This is especially interesting to me b/c I prefer the utility of closed headphones; I'm also curious to see where the Beyerdynamic T5p fits among these). 
  • Best Amp for Orthos: Master 8, First Watt F5 clone, Bryston BHA-1, Meier Classic (really excited about this one), Emotiva Mini-X A100? 
  • Best IEM: Aurisonics ASG-2, Aurisonics ASG-2.5 (presumably in attendance), Noble Audio Noble 5, Etymotic ER4, Sony XBA-4, maybe the Velodyne vPulse, and who knows what else will end up making it? 
  • HFM Showdown: HE-6 vs HE-560 (droooooooooooooooool...)
  • Grado: i-series versus e-series (assuming some e-series cans make it-- only one I'm thinking will be there at the moment is the GS1Ke, which happens to be the one I'm most interested in)
  • Best Desktop DACs: NAD m51, Lynx Hilo, Meier Daccord (I still think highly of it, although I replaced mine with the Hilo), Emotiva XDA-2? 
  • TOTL Showdown: Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, HifiMan HE-6, HifiMan HE-560, Audeze LCD-X? 
  • Flagships of Yesteryear: HD650 (balanced and standard), HD600 (never heard these), Grado RS1i, or Beyerdynamic DT800 (600 ohm)? 
  • Best Portable Amp: Hifiman HM-601, ALO Audio MKlllB+, Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II, iBasso D-Zero, Meier Audio PCSTEP, JDS Labs O2, or Fiio E17? 
  • New Versus Old: Aurisonics ASG-2 vs ASG-2.5; Hifiman HE-400 and HE-6 vs HE-400i and HE-560; Grado GS1000 (might be coming) vs GS1000e. 

 

And so many more... No way there are gonna be enough hours in the day to get in all the listening I wanna do!! (And after reading back through this list... It does seem to be just a bit overboard, so please excuse my exuberance. I didn't get enough sleep, so my brain compensates by giving me crackhead energy for half the day before I crash.)

post #235 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how far Tennessee and Florida have both fallen... I'm ready to get back to having the UT-Bama and UT-Florida games actually mean something again. Because they just don't right now, and it drives me nuts, in case that wasn't obvious. blink.gif

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some of the iFi stuff. They had a bunch of their gear at the AVCOA meeting in Atlanta right before the first Nashville meet, but I didn't have enough time to check it out. I even dig their aesthetic, and really like the little stands they have for their gear. Perfect for an office or desk without a lot of space, and pretty attractive to boot! 

Work? I don't even know what that word means wink.gif. But thanks man, and I agree-- this is really shaping up nicely!! There are a couple of story lines that I'm pretty interested in checking out in particular. For example (with the understanding that these aren't complete lists, and are utterly personal preferences): 
  • Best T50rp Modification: Alpha Dogs, ZMF Vibro, ZMF V1, or Paradox Slant? (This is especially interesting to me b/c I prefer the utility of closed headphones; I'm also curious to see where the Beyerdynamic T5p fits among these). 
  • Best Amp for Orthos: Master 8, First Watt F5 clone, Bryston BHA-1, Meier Classic (really excited about this one), Emotiva Mini-X A100? 
  • Best IEM: Aurisonics ASG-2, Aurisonics ASG-2.5 (presumably in attendance), Noble Audio Noble 5, Etymotic ER4, Sony XBA-4, maybe the Velodyne vPulse, and who knows what else will end up making it? 
  • HFM Showdown: HE-6 vs HE-560 (droooooooooooooooool...)
  • Grado: i-series versus e-series (assuming some e-series cans make it-- only one I'm thinking will be there at the moment is the GS1Ke, which happens to be the one I'm most interested in)
  • Best Desktop DACs: NAD m51, Lynx Hilo, Meier Daccord (I still think highly of it, although I replaced mine with the Hilo), Emotiva XDA-2? 
  • TOTL Showdown: Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, HifiMan HE-6, HifiMan HE-560, Audeze LCD-X? 
  • Flagships of Yesteryear: HD650 (balanced and standard), HD600 (never heard these), Grado RS1i, or Beyerdynamic DT800 (600 ohm)? 
  • Best Portable Amp: Hifiman HM-601, ALO Audio MKlllB+, Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II, iBasso D-Zero, Meier Audio PCSTEP, JDS Labs O2, or Fiio E17? 
  • New Versus Old: Aurisonics ASG-2 vs ASG-2.5; Hifiman HE-400 and HE-6 vs HE-400i and HE-560; Grado GS1000 (might be coming) vs GS1000e. 

And so many more... No way there are gonna be enough hours in the day to get in all the listening I wanna do!! (And after reading back through this list... It does seem to be just a bit overboard, so please excuse my exuberance. I didn't get enough sleep, so my brain compensates by giving me crackhead energy for half the day before I crash.)

Not overboard in the least, looking at that list and I'm getting real excited!!!!! (Was going to make a joke, but it just didn't feel right, Man).

You left one amp off the list for Ortho's, the Lyr 2 is an awesome combo with the 560 and 400i, it doesn't have the oomph for your HE-6 (?), but would love to hear it with some of the LCD's?!?

I am also looking forward to hearing the HD800's for the first time, Matt has an awesome setup. Speaking of Matt, now that he is a "Published" Author on Head Fi, maybe we can get the TOTL Shootout Review up on the site, would be a blast hearing all involved!!!
post #236 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

 

there's worse oranges than hillbilly orange, what about that orange from SC ?? i'll take you hill folks over those  guys

 

As much as I dislike certain orange colors....nothing is worse than Crimson...
post #237 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgladwin85 View Post


Au contraire. Orange is much worse smily_headphones1.gif
post #238 of 714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

Not overboard in the least, looking at that list and I'm getting real excited!!!!! (Was going to make a joke, but it just didn't feel right, Man).

You left one amp off the list for Ortho's, the Lyr 2 is an awesome combo with the 560 and 400i, it doesn't have the oomph for your HE-6 (?), but would love to hear it with some of the LCD's?!?

I am also looking forward to hearing the HD800's for the first time, Matt has an awesome setup. Speaking of Matt, now that he is a "Published" Author on Head Fi, maybe we can get the TOTL Shootout Review up on the site, would be a blast hearing all involved!!!

An oversight on the Lyr 2, definitely interested in hearing it! Also, not sure what you mean about Matt being a published author... What'd I miss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

Au contraire. Orange is much worse smily_headphones1.gif

Gonna have to side with my man Shawn on this one. Crimson is just.... Gross.

This is gonna be fun, I can already tell.... wink.gif
post #239 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post


An oversight on the Lyr 2, definitely interested in hearing it! Also, not sure what you mean about Matt being a published author... What'd I miss?
Gonna have to side with my man Shawn on this one. Crimson is just.... Gross.

This is gonna be fun, I can already tell.... wink.gif

 

Well, I am pretty much a celebrity (in my own mind). People clap and ask for my autograph when I enter a room (if I give them enough money). And beautiful women swoon (where swoon means yawn heavily and proceed to fall asleep). :tongue:

 

Seriously though, I'm just doing some equipment reviews for a new site called headphone.guru

post #240 of 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgladwin85 View Post
 

 


i'm one of the few folks living in the state of alabama with NO affiliation to crimson or orange

i'm from georgia, and grew up a ga tech fan !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014)