or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help on headphone/headset and sound card/audio interface
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help on headphone/headset and sound card/audio interface

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hello, guys, I need your help on this. 

I will be purchasing a new headphone/headset and sound card/audio interface, but I need to know which one I should go for.

 

Should I buy a studio headphone or a gaming headphone/headset along with a sound card or an audio interface (external sound card)?

 

Tasks: I'll be using it mostly for gaming and maybe light music editing as a hobby.

 

I don't know how well the sound quality perform while gaming in a studio headphone + audio interface compare to a gaming headphone/headset + sound card.

 

Reason is that my friend who is also a music composure/producer has convince me to buy a "neutral" headphone or I believe you guys called it a studio headphone along with an audio interface for gaming and music editing because it sound better than a "crappy" gaming headphone/headset along with its sound card.

 

I currently own a Sennhesier HD 419 Headphones, Black, and I love it but it is too lose whenever I try to move my head around.

 

I was thinking to buy two for each, so I can have my own set and my little brother set for his birthday that is coming in a couple weeks. As for my budget, I was considering it a $150 or less for audio interface/sound card and $150 or less on a studio headphone/gaming headset/headphone.

 

I am not in any rush.

 

Thank you for your help.

post #2 of 10

To me this would be the best bang for the buck.

 

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $85

Sennheiser HD558, $90-$123

Any add-on mic you like, $10-$30?

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

To me this would be the best bang for the buck.

 

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $85

Sennheiser HD558, $90-$123

Any add-on mic you like, $10-$30?

Nice but is it worth buying a sound card over an audio interface or not?

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoukun View Post
 

Nice but is it worth buying a sound card over an audio interface or not?

"Audio Interface" is kind of generic to understand what is being talked about.

 

Guess you mean an internal sound card (SB-Z), over an external sound card (audio interface)?

If you had a laptop then going external would of course be the only option.

Internal sound cards and external sound cards really do the same thing.

 

I guess there are external "audio interfaces" which are not for gaming and come with dedicated software for audio editing/creation.

Those audio editing external devices would (may) not come with any headphone surround sound features.

I would assume Creative provides some basic audio editing software with the SB-Z.

But I'm sure there are is third party audio editing software that would work with the SB-Z.

 

PC "Gaming headsets" are usually stereo headphones that come with low costing USB sound cards.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

"Audio Interface" is kind of generic to understand what is being talked about.

 

Guess you mean an internal sound card (SB-Z), over an external sound card (audio interface)?

If you had a laptop then going external would of course be the only option.

Internal sound cards and external sound cards really do the same thing.

 

I guess there are external "audio interfaces" which are not for gaming and come with dedicated software for audio editing/creation.

Those audio editing external devices would (may) not come with any headphone surround sound features.

I would assume Creative provides some basic audio editing software with the SB-Z.

But I'm sure there are is third party audio editing software that would work with the SB-Z.

 

PC "Gaming headsets" are usually stereo headphones that come with low costing USB sound cards.

What I mean by the audio interface and sound card is will the sound quality be different while playing a games?

By audio interface, I mean an external "sound card" such as Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or something like that. Considering it has a "neutral" sound, will I be able to hear the game much better than buying a PCI-E sound card that has more of a "bass"?

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoukun View Post
 

What I mean by the audio interface and sound card is will the sound quality be different while playing a games?

By audio interface, I mean an external "sound card" such as Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or something like that. Considering it has a "neutral" sound, will I be able to hear the game much better than buying a PCI-E sound card that has more of a "bass"?

 

As I'm not well informed about USB recording Interfaces (audio interface) like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I do know the 2i2 does not come with any real features for gaming and your looking for something mostly for gaming.

But I'm fairly sure the SB-Z easily matches (or betters) the 2i2 for playback audio quality (gaming)

A sound card in general would not have more bass then a USB recording interface.

 

Try asking here about using the SB-Z for a recording interface.

http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

As I'm not well informed about USB recording Interfaces (audio interface) like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I do know the 2i2 does not come with any real features for gaming and your looking for something mostly for gaming.

But I'm fairly sure the SB-Z easily matches (or betters) the 2i2 for playback audio quality (gaming)

A sound card in general would not have more bass then a USB recording interface.

 

Try asking here about using the SB-Z for a recording interface.

http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Is "Sennheiser HD558" a neutral headphone/studio headphone?

Also do you know any alternative neutral/studio headphones that is within a price range?

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoukun View Post
 

Is "Sennheiser HD558" a neutral headphone/studio headphone?

Also do you know any alternative neutral/studio headphones that is within a price range?

 

The HD558s are very neutral, some describe the sound as a little veiled, laid back, but the details are there.

The HD558 are the oldest headphone I have that I still like to use.

I think the HD558s are really the best in their price range.

Buy them used and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, makes them somewhat more like the HD598.

 

 

Here is an aftermarket cable for the Senn HD518/HD558/HD598 that comes with a 3.5mm plug, I like using it.

The 2i2 comes with a 1/4" jack and the SB-Z a 3.5mm jack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

Here is a listing for freeware (and shareware) audio editing tools.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/audio_editors.html

post #9 of 10
Agreed. The HD558s coupled with the Soundblaster Z are the best bet in your budget range given your needs.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

Also is the Sennhesier HD 558 a pretty big headphone? I have probably a med to big head.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help on headphone/headset and sound card/audio interface