or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Apple Products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Products

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

Which iphone product has best output performane and what is the performanca of an ipad mini like ? 

post #2 of 38
Thread Starter 

Also , is listening from iphone ok (with fiio e11 ) or should i get an mp3 player or something ? 

post #3 of 38
Thread Starter 

Also , (:D) are the songs in itunes best sound quality i can find ?

post #4 of 38
Itunes songs are compressed files at 256kbps. While most people will be satisfied with the audio quality most audiophiles prefer at least 320kbps or lossless formats such as flac or Apple's alac format. The iPhone provides reasonable sound quality but newer models with 40 hours battery duration for a relatively small (1400mah or so) battery means some compromises in sound quality. If you don't mind carrying two devices then an iBasso DX90 or Fiio X5 will be an improvement assuming you have a quality set of IEMs. These players can also be used with full size headphones. You have to accept their bulk, short battery duration and less than Apple functionality in return for their sound.
post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 

 I am new to this better than regular people audio knowledge thingy :D and i will start with buying a HD598 , also an iphone 5s when my friend comes to america. new questions : 1-where do you guys get your songs (original physical albums ? 2- iphone is expensive at high memory i will most probably get a 16 gb iphone + a player , do i really still need amp with a good player or do i need both ? or should i combine the money and get a good player or a abd player with money spent on good amp :D

post #6 of 38

1. Legal methods - buy the cd or online stores like HDtracks

     Illegal method - torrent 

2. Generally a decent music player would not require an external amp. Is there any particular player you're looking at?

post #7 of 38
Thread Starter 

Idk anything i heard the word amp first time 3 days ago

post #8 of 38
People convert CDs into flac or alac or 320kbps mp3/aac. You can buy online high resolution files which place huge demands on the capacity of a player because a single track might be 150MB. Some have debated the merits of high resolution audio. Newer players support high resolution audio as well as normal 16/44 audio. The amplifiers in lower cost players can be improved upon by an external amplifier. Assuming the player has a line-out socket. There is less of a case with more expensive players. I personally wouldn't bother with an external amplifier outside because I find external noise does more to reduce sound quality than the grade of the internal amplifier. A lot depends on the earphones you utilise and I think these have more of an effect than the amplification system. The Sennheiser HD598 is an open headphone which is not really suitable for use outside. This can be used indoors with good results. What you should buy depends a lot on the individual, how much outdoor/indoor use they will make of the player, how much they can accept bulk/weight, how good their earphones/headphones are and of course how much they have to spend.
post #9 of 38

I personally don't like any of the affordable audiophile music players on the market simply because their UI is crap. You could always drop the Iphone idea and get an Android phone like the Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8 (my top personal picks due to having the cleanest audio output according to gsmarena), get a 64 gb microsd or higher if you can afford it and plug your headphone to see if it runs well. If the phone can drive it to deafening volume levels then you don't need an amp.  If it doesnt get a fiio e18.

post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefelt103 View Post

The Sennheiser HD598 is an open headphone which is not really suitable for use outside. This can be used indoors with good results. What you should buy depends a lot on the individual, how much outdoor/indoor use they will make of the player, how much they can accept bulk/weight, how good their earphones/headphones are and of course how much they have to spend.

I didn't know the OP was using these them outdoors. If so then Sefelt103 is right: Do not buy the HD598 if you are going to listen to music outdoors. 

post #11 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefelt103 View Post

People convert CDs into flac or alac or 320kbps mp3/aac. You can buy online high resolution files which place huge demands on the capacity of a player because a single track might be 150MB. Some have debated the merits of high resolution audio. Newer players support high resolution audio as well as normal 16/44 audio. The amplifiers in lower cost players can be improved upon by an external amplifier. Assuming the player has a line-out socket. There is less of a case with more expensive players. I personally wouldn't bother with an external amplifier outside because I find external noise does more to reduce sound quality than the grade of the internal amplifier. A lot depends on the earphones you utilise and I think these have more of an effect than the amplification system. The Sennheiser HD598 is an open headphone which is not really suitable for use outside. This can be used indoors with good results. What you should buy depends a lot on the individual, how much outdoor/indoor use they will make of the player, how much they can accept bulk/weight, how good their earphones/headphones are and of course how much they have to spend.

1st - idk what flac alac or mp3/aac is . idk what 16/44 means . idk what a line-out socket is :D . Y not suitable outdoors except the fact that it leaks noise ? what bad for listening quality ? I will use a lot outdoors . Weignt and size doesnt matter as long as its not like a brick :D Im asking you what you would do with hd598 , with intents of outdoor usage , size and weight doesnt matter , and  i will decide on your recommendations how much i wanna spend .  (What you should buy depends a lot on the individual, how much outdoor/indoor use they will make of the player, how much they can accept bulk/weight, how good their earphones/headphones are and of course how much they have to spend.) . Idk many things like i stated in the first sentence :D I just try to understand enough to know what to buy first :D later i will learn all details 

post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionut117 View Post
 

I personally don't like any of the affordable audiophile music players on the market simply because their UI is crap. You could always drop the Iphone idea and get an Android phone like the Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8 (my top personal picks due to having the cleanest audio output according to gsmarena), get a 64 gb microsd or higher if you can afford it and plug your headphone to see if it runs well. If the phone can drive it to deafening volume levels then you don't need an amp.  If it doesnt get a fiio e18.

Well first of all ok your phone advice is reasonably good , but afaik ( not much ) the app possibilities and variety in ios is far better , so thats what changed my mind.  Also the problem is : i cant buy anything anyday , i live in turkey , no amps here , so my friend is coming to america soon , he will buy the hd598 and teh amp for me , so if i will need the amp with these phones , i really need to know , i cant just test them :( also , fiio 18 is an expensive device compared to e11 . i really dont care about the ui and if this x5 device can give me same quality on its own the quality a phone + e11 / e18 can give me , its ok for me :)

post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErdemInce View Post
 

1st - idk what flac alac or mp3/aac is . idk what 16/44 means . idk what a line-out socket is :D . Y not suitable outdoors except the fact that it leaks noise ? what bad for listening quality ? I will use a lot outdoors . Weignt and size doesnt matter as long as its not like a brick :D Im asking you what you would do with hd598 , with intents of outdoor usage , size and weight doesnt matter , and  i will decide on your recommendations how much i wanna spend .  (What you should buy depends a lot on the individual, how much outdoor/indoor use they will make of the player, how much they can accept bulk/weight, how good their earphones/headphones are and of course how much they have to spend.) . Idk many things like i stated in the first sentence :D I just try to understand enough to know what to buy first :D later i will learn all details 

Open headphones by design do not isolate against background noise. To put it simply you will hear everything and everything will cover up your music so the high sound quality of the headphones won't matter since you wont be able to hear it. 

post #14 of 38
Thread Starter 

Oh. Well , **** :D nobody told me that

post #15 of 38
flac is free lossless audio codec, alac is Apple lossless audio codec. Compressed files are small files because they miss out information they are 'lossy'. This naturally reduces sound quality. Lossless files are like the CD and nothing is missed out. With mp3 and Apple's aac codecs you are not hearing exactly what the artist recorded, it's quite close but it is a compromise to save storage space. With compression you might lose high frequency information, the bass might not be as deep and you can sometimes hear distortiion or compession artifacts with high grade audio equipment.
Open headphones have grilles over the drivers to let air in. This means you can hear everything outside and people outside will also hear what you are listening to also. For potables most people use IEMs (in ear monitors) these have inherently lower sound quality than full size headphones but they are effective at blocking out noise from outside. Many players are optimised for IEMs and don't sound particularly good through full sized headphones. Some players have a headphone out socket and a line out socket. If you want to use an external amplifier then ideally it should have an extra socket for the LO (line out). Apple players don't have an extra socket their line out is through the 30 pin/lightning socket that you sync/charge the device through. So if a non-Apple device has only one headphone socket then there is little point in utilising an external amplifier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Apple Products