Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best headphones for rock and electronic?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best headphones for rock and electronic?

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for an great multi genre headphone. I have the mad dogs and find them just a bit light in the bass. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
post #2 of 42
Sennheiser HD650 is great for rock

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk
post #3 of 42

M100 works dang well.

post #4 of 42

Budget?

post #5 of 42

I'll be predictable and recommend the Grado SR 80i. The sound is aggressive, in-your-face and the mid range 'flatters' the sound of guitars. 

post #6 of 42
I never found Grados (SR60/80) particularly good except in the $100 and under range. My Beyer DT880 pro 250ohm was better for rock and everything else. And I could power it with my phone. And you can find it for around $200 new.
Edited by AzraelDarkangel - 6/15/14 at 5:19pm
post #7 of 42

I don't get the Grado love for rock/metal because the band actually has other members than the guitarist and Grado does not do well with them. The kick drums and bass guitars evaporate, especially with their lower end. Everyone raves about how they make guitars sound, but... that's not the only instrument. 

post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

I don't get the Grado love for rock/metal because the band actually has other members than the guitarist and Grado does not do well with them. The kick drums and bass guitars evaporate, especially with their lower end. Everyone raves about how they make guitars sound, but... that's not the only instrument. 

There's nothing to get. It has to be 'experienced' to be appreciated. The Grado's make everything sound good. ESPECIALLY the guitars.

 

But let's poll the consensus...

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0055P9K38/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
 

There's nothing to get. It has to be 'experienced' to be appreciated. The Grado's make everything sound good. ESPECIALLY the guitars.

 

But let's poll the consensus...

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0055P9K38/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

 

I've listened to the 60, the 80, the 325, the rs2, the rs1, the PS500, and the PS1000. Out of them all, the PS500 is the only one I'd say really hits the mark. The ones I gave the most time to were the 325, the rs1, and the PS500. The Rs1 was almost unlistenable. The lower-end all sounded like it was audio coming out of an answering machine. 

 

They're treble cannons. If you like that, okay, but don't act like the only way someone can profess to not liking them is to have yet to "experience" them. 

post #10 of 42
My Beyer was so much better (than the 60 and 80) even without a good amp and just out of a cheap computer that I never bothered with the Grado again. And that was doing a direct comparison listening to a FLAC of Kurt Cobain Unplugged in NY. I'm curious about the PS500 but there are several other headphone I would rather own at that price or less.
post #11 of 42

I'll say what I've said before about the PS500: for everything above 100Hz they're golden. Legitimately so. I mean they make everything above that line sing. Under that... there's nothing. So if you're listening to music that doesn't dip under there, you'll love them. Unfortunately, what'll happen is you'll have a song with a bass guitar or a kick drum where the musician will slam on it and you'll get the "slap" of the string or the skin, the artifact of it, but no meat. And it will be very disappointing. 

post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

I've listened to the 60, the 80, the 325, the rs2, the rs1, the PS500, and the PS1000. Out of them all, the PS500 is the only one I'd say really hits the mark. The ones I gave the most time to were the 325, the rs1, and the PS500. The Rs1 was almost unlistenable. The lower-end all sounded like it was audio coming out of an answering machine. 

 

They're treble cannons. If you like that, okay, but don't act like the only way someone can profess to not liking them is to have yet to "experience" them. 

Really? I thought they had pretty nice punchy bass compared to some Sennheisers and Shure's that have like no bass at all.

post #13 of 42
The Grados I've heard have a hyped midbass but no lower bass. They are like mini-moniter speakers with bass reflex port and a big bump but then the response falls off a cliff. The Beyer DT880 in comparison was like a large floor speaker that went low and smooth with much deeper low bass without being hyped. Sort of like a 10in woofer in a large sealed cabinet vs the Grado like bass of a 5in midwoofer in a small bass reflex. Sound exciting at first till you hear something proper. Also the Beyer is much smoother up top.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
 

Really? I thought they had pretty nice punchy bass compared to some Sennheisers and Shure's that have like no bass at all.

 

You're almost certainly referring to the midbass. Here, take a look at this:

 

 

Notice how they all have a hump around 100Hz and in the case of the rs1 (ostenibly a premium piece) the subbass absolutely vanishes. Keep in mind that headphones with only a slightly boosted bass down in the low frequencies will sound thin, but what we're seeing here is NO low frequencies. In the case of the 325 and rs1 everything under 50Hz is actually held back, and even the PS500 is yanked down by 30. I do feel the need mention, again, that bass just ON that 0 line would be thin and weak, let alone the cataclysmic drop we're seeing between 100 and 10 (which makes the subbass sound even more feeble).

 

I really want to like Grado headphones. I think they're gorgeous headphones, they feel amazing in the hands, I think the way they're made kicks ass. I just cannot imagine listening to the dang things for like 95% of music. 

post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

You're almost certainly referring to the midbass. Here, take a look at this:

 

 

Notice how they all have a hump around 100Hz and in the case of the rs1 (ostenibly a premium piece) the subbass absolutely vanishes. Keep in mind that headphones with only a slightly boosted bass down in the low frequencies will sound thin, but what we're seeing here is NO low frequencies. In the case of the 325 and rs1 everything under 50Hz is actually held back, and even the PS500 is yanked down by 30. I do feel the need mention, again, that bass just ON that 0 line would be thin and weak, let alone the cataclysmic drop we're seeing between 100 and 10 (which makes the subbass sound even more feeble).

 

I really want to like Grado headphones. I think they're gorgeous headphones, they feel amazing in the hands, I think the way they're made kicks ass. I just cannot imagine listening to the dang things for like 95% of music. 

 

HeadRoom's rig tends to get more roll-off on open-backs that what they seem to have in listening tests.

 

Plus it depends on who's measuring anyway, for example:

 

ryumatsuba:

SR325 (goldie)

 

 

goldenears.net:

SR60i

 

 

The rest of us Grado fans don't have problems getting bass out of our headphones, then there are modifications or alternate earpads to get even more for those who are interested.  Even the low bass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best headphones for rock and electronic?