Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro HELP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro HELP

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hello people,

 

Please note that I have done my research (for almost 6 hours of browsing time) before I finally decided to see if I can get a better response by asking on this forum so please be gentle =P.

 

 

I've recently purchased a Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 OHMs headphones, I've plugged it into my on-board motherboard card which has the Realtek 1150 Codec (Latest one available on few latest mobos). I've also interchanged between the rear and front audio jack as to see how much AMP/DAC affects the sound quality/volume, and definitely, the on-board card which is said to be able to drive up to 600 OHM(s) sounds much better.

 

However this is my question:

All the research I have done proves that an external dac/amp or a dedicated sound card will help with improving my sound quality, however, these are in the past wherelse the latest technology (as of year 2014) where the Realtek 1150 codec chip is said to be on par with the Xonar provides up to 600 ohms of amp and also is an automatic DAC converter. Would this be sufficient to ensure that the headphones is receiving what it's worthy for to provide me with the peak quality it's supposed to achieve? Or has anybody tested both and still noticed the vast difference in getting a dedicated soundcard/external DAC&AMP. I have no issues with the current sound however I also do not have something else to compare it with, and I was just wondering how much/vast difference will it make as I have to invest 100-150 (Creative sound-Z card) extra dollars which isn't little =P.

Thanks for reading hope to get a response soon, cheers.

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnteractive View Post
 

Please note that I have done my research (for almost 6 hours of browsing time) before I finally decided to see if I can get a better response by asking on this forum so please be gentle =P.

I've recently purchased a Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 OHMs headphones, I've plugged it into my on-board motherboard card which has the Realtek 1150 Codec (Latest one available on few latest mobos). I've also interchanged between the rear and front audio jack as to see how much AMP/DAC affects the sound quality/volume, and definitely, the on-board card which is said to be able to drive up to 600 OHM(s) sounds much better.

However this is my question:
All the research I have done proves that an external dac/amp or a dedicated sound card will help with improving my sound quality, however, these are in the past wherelse the latest technology (as of year 2014) where the Realtek 1150 codec chip is said to be on par with the Xonar provides up to 600 ohms of amp and also is an automatic DAC converter. Would this be sufficient to ensure that the headphones is receiving what it's worthy for to provide me with the peak quality it's supposed to achieve? Or has anybody tested both and still noticed the vast difference in getting a dedicated soundcard/external DAC&AMP. I have no issues with the current sound however I also do not have something else to compare it with, and I was just wondering how much/vast difference will it make as I have to invest 100-150 (Creative sound-Z card) extra dollars which isn't little =P.
Thanks for reading hope to get a response soon, cheers.

 

I'm going to guess then unless your willing to spend over $200, it might not be worth it.

If you could get a really really good deal on a used Essence STX ($125 or less) or Sound Blaster ZxR (something under $150), then it might(?) be worth it.

Really hard to say if the Sound Blaster Z would make a really noticeable difference.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the prompt reply, any other people with opinions on this matter?

 

So even with the "FiiO E09K + FiiO E17" it wouldn't make much of a difference?

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnteractive View Post
 

Thank you for the prompt reply, any other people with opinions on this matter?

 

So even with the "FiiO E09K + FiiO E17" it wouldn't make much of a difference?

 

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

 

The E09K, Essence STX & SB-ZxR all use the same TI 6120A2 headphone amplifier.

Docking the E17 to the E09K does not add any amplification power to the E09K (just a nice DAC feature).

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4962#ov

 

That is the current motherboard I'm on, specifications states the Codec of the on-board chip to be Realtek 1150.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Motherboard

 

That is the current motherboard I'm using^.

 

Sorry I can't post links, please google it, specifications states that it has a Realtek 1150 codec chip.

 

Thank you again for your prompt reply.

 

P/S: I don't mind spending a little extra (I checked that Sound Blaster -Z cost around 145 and ZX is around 175 but the only difference is that ZX has the ACM feature which I don't know if I need it.) if it will show an increase in performance (At least enough to be worth the investment.)

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnteractive View Post
 

Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Motherboard

That is the current motherboard I'm using^.

Sorry I can't post links, please google it, specifications states that it has a Realtek 1150 codec chip.

Thank you again for your prompt reply.

P/S: I don't mind spending a little extra (I checked that Sound Blaster -Z cost around 145 and ZX is around 175 but the only difference is that ZX has the ACM feature which I don't know if I need it.) if it will show an increase in performance (At least enough to be worth the investment.)

 

The ACM module that comes with the SB-Zx has been known to have a slightly negative effect on audio quality.

I really do not think the Sound Blaster Z is really going to make that much of a noticeable difference (but that is my personal opinion).

I would say to hold off and keep an eye out for a used Essence STX, little better DAC chip and little headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z & SB-Zx

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 

Alright, thank you, STX only cost an extra 10$ (15$ in total) in my country. So with that the quality would be more imminent? (I am also looking at a sound card to get a TS Link optic output, so its 2 birds with 1 stones as I have an astro a50 just for gaming and I need a SPDIF output).

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnteractive View Post
 

Alright, thank you, STX only cost an extra 10$ (15$ in total) in my country. So with that the quality would be more imminent? (I am also looking at a sound card to get a TS Link optic output, so its 2 birds with 1 stones as I have an astro a50 just for gaming and I need a SPDIF output).

What country are you in?

 

If you get a Essence STX for your computer, can't see any reason to hook up a Astro A50, unless you have a real need for a wireless connection.

Otherwise I would assume the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and any add-on mic you like, connected straight to the STX, would be the preferred gaming (and music & movie) setup.


Edited by PurpleAngel - 6/12/14 at 9:16pm
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thank you very much for your help, yeah sometimes I prefer if my peers doesn't listen to what I'm listening to =P that's when i use the a50, it was a bad buy I was lured in by marketing scam, didn't know I was paying so much for such low quality, won't ever happen again ever since I found head-fi.


I'm from Australia!

I have been looking to add-on mics, since I only use teamspeak it's probably wise to just get a boom mic, like the modmic 4.0.


Edited by lnteractive - 6/12/14 at 9:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro HELP