Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DT 880 250ohm. What Fiio AMP and what DAC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DT 880 250ohm. What Fiio AMP and what DAC?

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

Hello guys,


I got the DT 880 250 ohm for my PC. It is mostly for gaming and listening to music while playing.
Where I live I can easily get anything that is Fiio related.
So should I get the Fiio E9k+E17? Would it be good enough?
Or E18 alone?
OR X3 & E12 ?
Or X5 & E12? 

 


 

 


Thanks a lot for your help
 


Edited by Jeffy141 - 6/12/14 at 5:14am
post #2 of 37
The X3 has the same dac/amp hardware as the E17, only slightly better optimized. It or the E17 would work very well with the DT880s.

For gaming, many people like the surround processing that Xonar and Creative soundcards have. Do you already have a sound card that has that? If not, then you might want to consider an inexpensive Xonar DG or DGX soundcard, and then a DAC/amp setup with an optical connection so that the DAC/amp can use the Dolby DSP features in the soundcard.

If you don't need a portable solution that the FiiOs offer, I would recommend looking into an Audio-GD DAC/amp. They ship from China. Doesn't matter where you live. I believe that the Matrix M-Stage also ships internationally.
post #3 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The X3 has the same dac/amp hardware as the E17, only slightly better optimized. It or the E17 would work very well with the DT880s.

For gaming, many people like the surround processing that Xonar and Creative soundcards have. Do you already have a sound card that has that? If not, then you might want to consider an inexpensive Xonar DG or DGX soundcard, and then a DAC/amp setup with an optical connection so that the DAC/amp can use the Dolby DSP features in the soundcard.

If you don't need a portable solution that the FiiOs offer, I would recommend looking into an Audio-GD DAC/amp. They ship from China. Doesn't matter where you live. I believe that the Matrix M-Stage also ships internationally.

Hello and thank you!

I dont really care about the surround gimmick :) I have owned many surround headphones (turtle beach XP7, razer tiamat, kraken etc...) and I dont think it is worth it. I play as well if not better with my stereo headphones and the sound is nicer.
So E17 and X3 are about the same. cool
So X3 with which fiio please?

FOr the chinese stuff I dont want too. If I have a problem it is going to be a nightmare to return it.

post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy141 View Post
 

Hello guys,


I got the DT 880 250 ohm for my PC. It is mostly for gaming and listening to music while playing.
Where I live I can easily get anything that is Fiio related.
So should I get the Fiio E9k+E17? Would it be good enough?
Or E18 alone?
OR X3 & E12 ?
Or X5 & E12? 

 

The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card can drive 250-Ohm headphones

post #5 of 37
I don't personally get why people buy external headphone amps for the FiiO X3 when it comes with a decent built in headphone amp. You should try it by itself first. If you are really convinced now you need better than the X3, then get the X5 with it's better hardware smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard complaints about the Audio-GD equipment needing returning. The best desktop dacs/amps are going to be better than the portable FiiO stuff because they can provide more power. So if you want the best sound quality for your money to get the most out of your DT880s, you can do much better than the FiiO with the budget you have indicated by your options above.

Also, most head-fiers consider gaming headsets to provide pretty crappy sound for the money. You might find that using a Xonar DG soundcard for its Dolby Headphone feature to sound pretty good with your DT880s. It's a different headphone experience smily_headphones1.gif
post #6 of 37

i heard the amp section betw E17 n E18, the E18 gave more texture n i went home with one :P

Thats for my portable use....if i were to buy a dac/amp for home use, i would pick one from Audiogd that fits my budget. 

post #7 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card can drive 250-Ohm headphones

What about the Asus STX?

post #8 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't personally get why people buy external headphone amps for the FiiO X3 when it comes with a decent built in headphone amp. You should try it by itself first. If you are really convinced now you need better than the X3, then get the X5 with it's better hardware smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard complaints about the Audio-GD equipment needing returning. The best desktop dacs/amps are going to be better than the portable FiiO stuff because they can provide more power. So if you want the best sound quality for your money to get the most out of your DT880s, you can do much better than the FiiO with the budget you have indicated by your options above.

Also, most head-fiers consider gaming headsets to provide pretty crappy sound for the money. You might find that using a Xonar DG soundcard for its Dolby Headphone feature to sound pretty good with your DT880s. It's a different headphone experience smily_headphones1.gif

Man I am lost. I dont care about portability but I dont want to order the chinese stuff.
Let's start over.

Should i get the Xonar DG + an AMP?
The Asus STX alone?

Or another combo of Fiio?

post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy141 View Post

Man I am lost. I dont care about portability but I dont want to order the chinese stuff.

Then do some research and look for other brands smily_headphones1.gif

A desktop amp/dac will be surperior to an internal sound card or a portable dac/amp setup.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy141 View Post
 

Man I am lost. I dont care about portability but I dont want to order the chinese stuff.
Let's start over.

Should i get the Xonar DG + an AMP?
The Asus STX alone?

Or another combo of Fiio?

LMAO...

post #11 of 37
Thread Starter 

Guys lets stick to Fiio or a sound card combo

What about my original choice: 
E9k+E17

Can this work? I only care about my Dt 880 250 ohm on my PC
 


Edited by Jeffy141 - 6/12/14 at 9:18am
post #12 of 37
can u bring yur can to the shop n test it out?
sometimes it is not just about gettg enuf vol...
that control over the notes is wat u want..esp the basss..
n how it suits yur taste.
post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

can u bring yur can to the shop n test it out?
sometimes it is not just about gettg enuf vol...
that control over the notes is wat u want..esp the basss..
n how it suits yur taste.

Not possible.I dont need something perfect too, It is mainly for gaming/music :)
 

post #14 of 37
The E17 should be enough in itself and be a pretty versatile unit. I run my E17 from and optical out from my macbook and appreciate tge improved sound quality. You can also use it to amp a portable player for mobile use with harder to drive headphones.

The E09K is a pretty good amp for the money and and has a pretty decent amount of power. 10 ohm output impedance will be fine with your 250ohm cans. For more sensitive/lower impedance headphones the E17 will do the trick.

Get the E17, if you want more juice go for the E09K. Between the 2 you'll have a buttload of power as well as input and output options. Both are pretty good sounding units.
post #15 of 37
Where is it that you live such that only FiiO and Asus is available to you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DT 880 250ohm. What Fiio AMP and what DAC?