or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › M50x for the office/travelling or philips x1 for office/home?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M50x for the office/travelling or philips x1 for office/home?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi

 

I'm looking to venture into the world of over the ear headphones after using IEMs for quite a while. My music taste has varied quite a bit and I normally listen to things ranging from Kanye West to Zepplin to Daft Punk and It normally centers around rock/house/rap. I Will predominantly be listening to music with the occasional podcast as well. I plan to listen to this nearly all day in the office so I want them to be comfortable. I will probably be using my nexus 4 as the audio source and I will be using Play music and Spotify most of the time and I might get a E6 as a headphone amp as well.

 

I've been looking at the philips x1 a fair bit has it seems to be quite cheap for what it is and its about £50 more than the m50x. However I'm worried about the portability. I drive to work normally but at the same time i dont want to feel encumbered too much by the headphones and I like the fact that the m50x folds. However the x1 seems to have a better sound stage and I can see myself eventually using them for (single player)gaming as well but I might get a separate pair dedicated to gaming. I have a feeling that the x1 wont match up with the xonar dsx i bought either so It might not be the best match. Is there a pair of headphones which are as portable and stylish as the m50x but as good in sound quality as the x1? My only point of reference is some etymotic er-4p's i owned a few years ago and my klipsch s4 ii's so this should be quite a big upgrade either way.

post #2 of 14
I just got my M40x and they are very neutral and surprisingly comfortable but neither the M50x or M40x have any kind of soundstage. You need open cans for that
post #3 of 14
I hope you have your own office. The X1s are open headphones and will both (a) leak a lot of sound and (b) let a lot of sound in. Not a good choice for using in pubic. However, a closed headphone will not have the soundstage of an open headphone like the X1. So that's the trade off.

Check out the closed headphones in Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame list: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
post #4 of 14

The M40x is better than the M50x, unless you really want boosted and slightly muddy bass and some slight coloration in the mids. It's also a much better value. For the office, I really can't recommend anything more.

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 

how does the closed momentum compare to the m50x? I've seen them mentioned and they seem like a nice compromise and I can pick them up for £125 using some vouchers i have.

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arj154 View Post

how does the closed momentum compare to the m50x? I've seen them mentioned and they seem like a nice compromise and I can pick them up for £125 using some vouchers i have.
The momentum is excellent, check out Sonic Sense's SoundCloud if you want to hear what it sounds like. Quote neutral actually, at least for the over ear version.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post

The momentum is excellent, check out Sonic Sense's SoundCloud if you want to hear what it sounds like. Quote neutral actually, at least for the over ear version.

I disagree.

Listening to recordings of speakers and headphones via YouTube and other online sources is not a good way to shop for audio equipment:

1) The frequency response and transient response will be colored by whatever equipment you use to listen to it.
2) It's always possible that the recordings are being colored by the mic and other hardware used to record it.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I disagree.

Listening to recordings of speakers and headphones via YouTube and other online sources is not a good way to shop for audio equipment:

1) The frequency response and transient response will be colored by whatever equipment you use to listen to it.
2) It's always possible that the recordings are being colored by the mic and other hardware used to record it.
I highly disagree. I just bought an M40x based on there being almost no difference between the source track, which they provide, and their recording of the headphone, and it is indeed dead flat. I also own a couple of the headphones they tested on there and their sound signatures are exactly how they sound. The microphone is exactly right, and they did an excellent job.

The usefulness of that site is the RELATIVE difference between the source track and the recordings of the cans. It doesn't matter what you use to listen to it as long as what you're listening through has enough FR extension, because it's all about difference in color between source and recording. Their mics are accurate and they record in 96/24.

You can't judge soundstage unfortunately but you can gauge sound sig. I think it's one of the most useful tools available to being able to get a feel for sound sig before buying but I guess I'm somehow stupid because they supposedly don't know what they're doing? Check them out again, they updated everything just a few weeks ago and made it as accurate as possible. They also updated all their comparisons that they posted to youtube.
Edited by metal571 - 6/12/14 at 8:20am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post

I highly disagree. I just bought an M40x based on there being almost no difference between the source track, which they provide, and their recording of the headphone, and it is indeed dead flat. I also own a couple of the headphones they tested on there and their sound signatures are exactly how they sound. The microphone is exactly right, and they did an excellent job.

The usefulness of that site is the RELATIVE difference between the source track and the recordings of the cans. It doesn't matter what you use to listen to it as long as what you're listening through has enough FR extension, because it's all about difference in color between source and recording. Their mics are accurate and they record in 96/24.

If you want to know about frequency response, look at measurements for headphones and use those for relative comparisons.

Moreover, the other problem is that listening to recordings in that way will never convey the soundstage or imaging, which is an important part of headphone choice. And as I pointed out, the recordings will not be a good way to judge transient response since that will be influenced by the equipment used to listen to the recordings.

So your advice that "The momentum is excellent, check out Sonic Sense's SoundCloud if you want to hear what it sounds like" is very flawed. One will maybe gain a little information about what they sound like *if* one understand the limitations of using those recordings. Simply telling people that they can go listen and know what the headphones sound like is bad advice.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you want to know about frequency response, look at measurements for headphones and use those for relative comparisons.

Moreover, the other problem is that listening to recordings in that way will never convey the soundstage or imaging, which is an important part of headphone choice. And as I pointed out, the recordings will not be a good way to judge transient response since that will be influenced by the equipment used to listen to the recordings.

So your advice that "The momentum is excellent, check out Sonic Sense's SoundCloud if you want to hear what it sounds like" is very flawed. One will maybe gain a little information about what they sound like *if* one understand the limitations of using those recordings. Simply telling people that they can go listen and know what the headphones sound like is bad advice.
I'm just saying it gives you an idea. Soundstage yes very hard to judge. Knew I was gonna get shot down on that one by the enthusiasts. I still think it's an incredibly useful site to research before buying. One of many sites to look at.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal571 View Post

I'm just saying it gives you an idea. Soundstage yes very hard to judge. Knew I was gonna get shot down on that one by the enthusiasts.

Giving an "idea" is different from what you told the OP. You have to clarify that a lot if you are going to help people.

Meanwhile, it's not "hard to judge" it's impossible to judge soundstage via recordings of headphones. A microphone will not capture the soundstage the way that an ear perceives it, and the soundstage that one hears when listening will be dependent on the headphones being used.

So while you might be happy with your purchase after using that tool, that doesn't make a good recommendation for other people to use it.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I hope you have your own office. The X1s are open headphones and will both (a) leak a lot of sound and (b) let a lot of sound in. Not a good choice for using in pubic. However, a closed headphone will not have the soundstage of an open headphone like the X1. So that's the trade off.

The X1s in particular don't leak a lot of sound, even at higher volumes, but they definitely don't seal you off from the rest of the world. I do listen at modest volumes, however.

 

Either way, OP, X1s aren't good for outdoor use. But for indoor use, they're fantastic, particularly if you like bass. Of course, that's relative to other open headphones, which - by their very nature - aren't that bass heavy. It doesn't sound bloated at all.


Edited by Dragonzeanse - 6/12/14 at 5:27pm
post #13 of 14
Fun:
Yamaha pro 500
Harmon kardon cl (its fun-ish... The bass boost is small but still noticable)
Neutral:
Roland rh300
Yamaha mt220
Martinlogan mikros 90
post #14 of 14
Lol
Even mics have their own sound signature
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › M50x for the office/travelling or philips x1 for office/home?