Hey guys, new member here but I've been reading this forum for years as I keep up with the market. I've just given up some older headphones for the p7, and was wondering what portable amp you guys think would be best. You seem to know what you're talking about around here for the most part so I'm hoping you guys can toss me some advice.
- productBowers & Wilkins P7tagged by nightmancometh, 6/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD630vb vs B&W P7? Last post on 3/30/16 at 11:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bowers & Wilkins P7 - SOLD Last post on 5/21/15 at 8:05am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Good non-leaking over ear headphones for office use (~$400) Last post on 2/15/15 at 12:09am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Endgame portable over ear advice (please help!!) Last post on 2/2/15 at 9:18pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bower & Wilkins P7 with solid OFC litz braided cable! Last post on 2/3/15 at 9:07am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Preamble: Hidizs Technology (http://www.hidizs.com/) is a Chinese audio manufacturer (mainly digital audio players) that established in early 2014 and is based in Dongguan, China....
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONA fair bit of this review may borrow sections from my U6 review. The reason for this is that a lot of...
Special thanks to Fiio for sponsoring this review unit for testing purposes Firmware installed : 1.2 Micro SD size used: 128GB C10 Sandisk Spec...
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q Earphone Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Advanced AcousticWerkes Q earphone with the Hifiman MegaMini Dap Advanced AcousticWerkes Q...
First of all, fantastic sound. Not necessarily *non-biased*, but possesses smooth highs, fantastically defined mids, and rich, powerful, yet completely not overwhelming bass. I accidentally broke...
Ideal portable amp for B&W p7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm also a new member. Welcome aboard!
I just received the Fiio X5 yesterday, and I can say it is the best audio device I have owned. The lack of any sort of "hiss" or other background noise from the amp is astounding. And the soundstage is unbelievable, even with my Sony MDR-V6. So that would no doubt be an outstanding player/amp/dac for your P7s.
If you just need an amp, checkout the Fiio E12. It looks like another great amp.
Sorry about the wait.
I really like them. All around well-balanced and good headphones. When choosing which to buy, the two other options I considered most in rivalry to the P7s were the Sennheiser Momentums and the B&O H6. Quite honestly, I originally would have chosen the Momentums but the cans were a little too small for me to where them comfortably for any real period of time. The B&Os I found to be lacking in bass, although they were incredibly crisp in the mids. The P7 also have a very crisp mid, but do not seem to be lacking in bass. I must note that I am not using these headphones for particularly bass heavy music, about the most bass-intensive I get would be Paul Simon's Call Me Al. Initially the bass was a little muddy but that faded after about 2 days of burn in, leading to a very well-rounded and present but not overbearing bass. The headphones fit my needs perfectly, as the mids are crisp and the upper range never comes out harsh or strident, yet they maintain a confident bass. They fit nicely and the construction is impressively sturdy-feeling. I would really recommend these headphones to anyone looking for a set in the $400 region. As much as I did like the B&O set, it was overbearing in the uppers (which, granted, may have been solved with burn in) and lacking in the lower region, making its top-of-the-backet crispness in the mids something that was not worth dealing with the drawbacks. The Sennheiser's were great but didn't fit well. I am very fond if the P7, nothing bad to report yet.
I spent about 6 hours comparing these different options before purchase. The set I was listening on, and still use now and then, before I got the P7 was the Sennhesier h650, which is excellent but open-backed, which can be very limiting. Nowadays my brother uses them more often than I. For any of the headphones discussed above I'd say that you'd be doing them an injustice to not use FLAC or similar files.
- Ideal portable amp for B&W p7
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 11 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 58 seconds ago
- › Popular Classical Music 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO... 3 minutes ago
- › Hottest Sonic Electronix deals and promotions. 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › 64 Audio U10 by Brooko
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by noobandroid
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ExpatinJapan
- › RHA MA750i by Peter Zhang
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Cinder
- › Remax RM-800MD by Zelda
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by killerline
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...