Hey guys, new member here but I've been reading this forum for years as I keep up with the market. I've just given up some older headphones for the p7, and was wondering what portable amp you guys think would be best. You seem to know what you're talking about around here for the most part so I'm hoping you guys can toss me some advice.
- productBowers & Wilkins P7tagged by nightmancometh, 6/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD630vb vs B&W P7? Last post on 3/30/16 at 11:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bowers & Wilkins P7 - SOLD Last post on 5/21/15 at 8:05am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Good non-leaking over ear headphones for office use (~$400) Last post on 2/15/15 at 12:09am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Endgame portable over ear advice (please help!!) Last post on 2/2/15 at 9:18pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bower & Wilkins P7 with solid OFC litz braided cable! Last post on 2/3/15 at 9:07am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon to...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
I first used these as monitoring headphones for recording. They quickly moved out of my home studio and now I use them everywhere. I have one pair at home and one pair at work. I also take them...
The Good: Price/Quality ratio; Comfort; Bass quality/quantity; Musicality; Imaging. The Bad: Requires a powerful amplifier. Tonal Balance: V-Shaped Style: Circumaural semi-open. Cost: $250 at...
Ideal portable amp for B&W p7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm also a new member. Welcome aboard!
I just received the Fiio X5 yesterday, and I can say it is the best audio device I have owned. The lack of any sort of "hiss" or other background noise from the amp is astounding. And the soundstage is unbelievable, even with my Sony MDR-V6. So that would no doubt be an outstanding player/amp/dac for your P7s.
If you just need an amp, checkout the Fiio E12. It looks like another great amp.
Sorry about the wait.
I really like them. All around well-balanced and good headphones. When choosing which to buy, the two other options I considered most in rivalry to the P7s were the Sennheiser Momentums and the B&O H6. Quite honestly, I originally would have chosen the Momentums but the cans were a little too small for me to where them comfortably for any real period of time. The B&Os I found to be lacking in bass, although they were incredibly crisp in the mids. The P7 also have a very crisp mid, but do not seem to be lacking in bass. I must note that I am not using these headphones for particularly bass heavy music, about the most bass-intensive I get would be Paul Simon's Call Me Al. Initially the bass was a little muddy but that faded after about 2 days of burn in, leading to a very well-rounded and present but not overbearing bass. The headphones fit my needs perfectly, as the mids are crisp and the upper range never comes out harsh or strident, yet they maintain a confident bass. They fit nicely and the construction is impressively sturdy-feeling. I would really recommend these headphones to anyone looking for a set in the $400 region. As much as I did like the B&O set, it was overbearing in the uppers (which, granted, may have been solved with burn in) and lacking in the lower region, making its top-of-the-backet crispness in the mids something that was not worth dealing with the drawbacks. The Sennheiser's were great but didn't fit well. I am very fond if the P7, nothing bad to report yet.
I spent about 6 hours comparing these different options before purchase. The set I was listening on, and still use now and then, before I got the P7 was the Sennhesier h650, which is excellent but open-backed, which can be very limiting. Nowadays my brother uses them more often than I. For any of the headphones discussed above I'd say that you'd be doing them an injustice to not use FLAC or similar files.
- Ideal portable amp for B&W p7
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › FS: Audio Technica w1000Z *Good Condition, Low hours, LIKE NEW* 3 minutes ago
- › FS: 2 month old Oppo HA-1 DAC/Amp/Pre! *Good condition. Australian... 4 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 4 minutes ago
- › Best sub-30$ CHINESE brands EARPHONES thread- Hidden Gems, Personal... 6 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 6 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 8 minutes ago
- › The Syllable D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Review... 8 minutes ago
- › UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS 8 minutes ago
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...