Hey guys, new member here but I've been reading this forum for years as I keep up with the market. I've just given up some older headphones for the p7, and was wondering what portable amp you guys think would be best. You seem to know what you're talking about around here for the most part so I'm hoping you guys can toss me some advice.
- productBowers & Wilkins P7tagged by nightmancometh, 6/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD630vb vs B&W P7? Last post on 3/30/16 at 11:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bowers & Wilkins P7 - SOLD Last post on 5/21/15 at 8:05am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Good non-leaking over ear headphones for office use (~$400) Last post on 2/15/15 at 12:09am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Endgame portable over ear advice (please help!!) Last post on 2/2/15 at 9:18pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bower & Wilkins P7 with solid OFC litz braided cable! Last post on 2/3/15 at 9:07am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Ideal portable amp for B&W p7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm also a new member. Welcome aboard!
I just received the Fiio X5 yesterday, and I can say it is the best audio device I have owned. The lack of any sort of "hiss" or other background noise from the amp is astounding. And the soundstage is unbelievable, even with my Sony MDR-V6. So that would no doubt be an outstanding player/amp/dac for your P7s.
If you just need an amp, checkout the Fiio E12. It looks like another great amp.
Sorry about the wait.
I really like them. All around well-balanced and good headphones. When choosing which to buy, the two other options I considered most in rivalry to the P7s were the Sennheiser Momentums and the B&O H6. Quite honestly, I originally would have chosen the Momentums but the cans were a little too small for me to where them comfortably for any real period of time. The B&Os I found to be lacking in bass, although they were incredibly crisp in the mids. The P7 also have a very crisp mid, but do not seem to be lacking in bass. I must note that I am not using these headphones for particularly bass heavy music, about the most bass-intensive I get would be Paul Simon's Call Me Al. Initially the bass was a little muddy but that faded after about 2 days of burn in, leading to a very well-rounded and present but not overbearing bass. The headphones fit my needs perfectly, as the mids are crisp and the upper range never comes out harsh or strident, yet they maintain a confident bass. They fit nicely and the construction is impressively sturdy-feeling. I would really recommend these headphones to anyone looking for a set in the $400 region. As much as I did like the B&O set, it was overbearing in the uppers (which, granted, may have been solved with burn in) and lacking in the lower region, making its top-of-the-backet crispness in the mids something that was not worth dealing with the drawbacks. The Sennheiser's were great but didn't fit well. I am very fond if the P7, nothing bad to report yet.
I spent about 6 hours comparing these different options before purchase. The set I was listening on, and still use now and then, before I got the P7 was the Sennhesier h650, which is excellent but open-backed, which can be very limiting. Nowadays my brother uses them more often than I. For any of the headphones discussed above I'd say that you'd be doing them an injustice to not use FLAC or similar files.
- Ideal portable amp for B&W p7
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 18 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 20 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 44 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 57 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 1 minute ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Creative G5 discussion and reviews 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Noble Audio Kaiser K10UA universal aluminum by Saraguie
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Meze 99 Classics by joeq70
- › Edifier P185 Headphones Hi-Fi Classic Earbud Style Earphones With... by flamerz
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by TravAndAlex
- › SoundMAGIC ES18 In-Ear Headphones (Black/Red) by OSiRiSsk
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...