Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado e Series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado e Series - Page 7

post #91 of 2897

You plan on selling both of them before you even listen to the 'E'...:confused_face(1):

post #92 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Well...I'm talking one for the team here...I have a PS1000e coming in this Friday-ish at a local Grado dealer. I'll report back on how it compares to my PS1000. If anyone is interested in a near MINT condition pair of PS1000s, please let me know. :o

I look forward to your impressions on the PS1Ke, and that's a great price on your current PS1K.

post #93 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

You plan on selling both of them before you even listen to the 'E'...:confused_face(1):

Please re-read it...I plan on selling the PS1000. :smile: No reason to have both the PS1K and PS1Ke. 

post #94 of 2897

Okay, that is what I was thinking.:regular_smile : Once you get those that will be one down, now I just need someone to get a GS1kE and an RS1e. I am really curious about the new larger drivers and how much they affect the bass, and just the whole sq in general. They increased the diameter quite a bit.

post #95 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Well...I'm talking one for the team here...I have a PS1000e coming in this Friday-ish at a local Grado dealer. I'll report back on how it compares to my PS1000. If anyone is interested in a near MINT condition pair of PS1000s, please let me know. :o

Thanks.....this will be very interesting to hear.

post #96 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Please re-read it...I plan on selling the PS1000. smile.gif  No reason to have both the PS1K and PS1Ke. 

I thought I read the PS1K didn't substantively change with the e-series, but the GS1K did. Don't know if that's accurate or not, so interested to hear your thoughts.

Very interested in the GS1K/e comparison in particular, as I really dug the GS when I heard it at the Nashville meet. Looking forward to some AB'ing there for sure... So someone with more disposable income than me should definitely get on that with a quickness wink.gif.
post #97 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
 

My mini PS500e review,

 

I purchased a pair of PS500’s in March of this year serial # 3737 and like the rest of you didn’t know Grado was releasing a new series in a few months.  So I would say I’ve logged approximately 50 hours on them and feel I have a good feel for their sound.  Also it should be noted that prior to owning the PS500 I owned the RS1i for 59 days before returning them in favor of the PS500.  I liked the RS1i but compared to the PS500 they sounded thin and (don’t hate me for saying this) a little boring.  The PS500 didn’t bring out the same level of detail but the bass added some weight to the instruments and were so much fun to listen to.

            The PS500e, when they arrived I gave them a very thorough inspection and compared the build and other aesthetics to my PS500’s and found them to be equally as impressive, meaning no scuffs on the cups, no pinched cables and no excessive glue around the drivers; very nice attention to detail.  From here I plugged them into my Asgard 2 and gave them a long listening session of maybe 4 hours and having the PS500’s fresh in my mind the difference stood out immediately.  

First I was surprised to hear that the bass had changed with more control and better definition but with still a lot of impact, and this was with a few hours of use I can’t wait to hear how it changes with 100 hours.  Also the level of detail I was hearing was better it’s like they (with my non audiophile terms) turned up the gain by a few decibels.  For a-b testing I plugged both pairs in with my Grado Y adapter and went back and forth and noticed the e version sounded louder and more forward in the mids while the PS500’s sounded more congested and lad back in comparison.  To simplify, it sounds like the SR325is and the PS500 had a baby which for me is a good thing because the PS500e is replacing my SR325is for use while I’m traveling.

The only real negative thing I can find with these is the 1/8 inch cable end and how the 1/4 inch adapter they supplied comes off pretty easily and I wonder why they didn’t go with the screw on kind.  Also it would have been nice to get detachable cables, but maybe next series.

To conclude, I think Grado has achieved what they set out to do by taking an already great headphone and “e”nhancing it.  These are my early findings and I will follow up when I put some more hours on them.  If you already own the PS500 I wouldn’t suggest running out and selling them but rather give the e series a try and see if the changes warrant an upgrade for you.  If you’re buying new I would definitely suggest the PS500e over the PS500 just so long as the new 1/8 inch cable end isn’t a deal breaker for you.

 

Thanks for reading,

Oracle

 

Well thanks for taking the time to write a helpful review; full of useful information.

 

 

1. What to do, what do do...P500e or RS1e?  I have the RS1i's and really love the way they sound,

theyre my main headphone.

 

2. I've found that the "snap on" type of adapters have micro size differences, i.e. some are tighter than others.

I'd suggest you buy a half dozen or so different ones from eBay sellers (they're only about $1.00 or so each);

and I think there's a very good chance that one or two will fit better than the one you have.

post #98 of 2897
I'm in the same boat...PS500 or RS1.

The bass on the PS500 worries me a bit. I don't want bass taking over my music. I like for vocals to be clear along with other instruments.

On the other hand, I worry the RS1 won't have enough bass.
post #99 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense View Post

I'm in the same boat...PS500 or RS1.

The bass on the PS500 worries me a bit. I don't want bass taking over my music. I like for vocals to be clear along with other instruments.

On the other hand, I worry the RS1 won't have enough bass.

 

Yes...

 

The RS1i definitely has enough bass for me. 

But many knowledgeable folks have said the P500i is a better listening experience.

 

Now, we've thrown the "e" model of each into the pot... :/

post #100 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

 

Well thanks for taking the time to write a helpful review; full of useful information.

 

 

1. What to do, what do do...P500e or RS1e?  I have the RS1i's and really love the way they sound,

theyre my main headphone.

 

2. I've found that the "snap on" type of adapters have micro size differences, i.e. some are tighter than others.

I'd suggest you buy a half dozen or so different ones from eBay sellers (they're only about $1.00 or so each);

and I think there's a very good chance that one or two will fit better than the one you have.

Is there a way you could get the RS1e and compare them to the RS1i you already own?  Thanks for the advise with the adapter, I'll try a few others and see if that helps.

post #101 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

Is there a way you could get the RS1e and compare them to the RS1i you already own?  Thanks for the advise with the adapter, I'll try a few others and see if that helps.

I would like to do a comparison myself but I wonder how easy it would be to do a fair comparison given that one pair is broken in and the other is brand new. Do you think that might skew impressions somewhat?
Edited by gregorya - 6/16/14 at 6:45pm
post #102 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorya View Post


I would like yo do a comparison myself but I wonder how easy it would be to do a fair comparison given that one pair is broken in and the other is brand new. Do you think that might skew impressions somewhat?

 

That's if you believe in burn-in...which after many years of careful listening, I would say any effects would be minimal at best.

post #103 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorya View Post


I would like to do a comparison myself but I wonder how easy it would be to do a fair comparison given that one pair is broken in and the other is brand new. Do you think that might skew impressions somewhat?

Yes.

post #104 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

That's if you believe in burn-in...which after many years of careful listening, I would say any effects would be minimal at best.

Well I'll be anxious to hear your impressions of the new model.
post #105 of 2897
Well...I decided to go with the PS500e.

Fingers crossed that I like them. I know they aren't the Grado of choice around here...but who knows if the new ones will make a better impression on the Head-Fi Grado Fans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado e Series