I have av40 speakers and I was planning on getting the magni amp along with some q701s, but I saw someone say that they got the FiiO E9 because it has a "pre output" to plug speakers into. Is that necessary?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productM-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakerstagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productSchiit Magnitagged by nightmancometh, 6/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Help! I need an Amp for Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm and AKG Q701. Last post on 12/23/12 at 4:44pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Purchased AKG Q701 - is my Amp enough for them? Last post on 12/25/12 at 4:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Not satisfied with Fiio E9 and AKG Q701. Would the O2 amp + ODAC produce less aggressive highs Last post on 8/12/14 at 10:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones with amp $400 dollar budget Last post on 7/31/14 at 7:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DAC/Amp for AKG K702? Last post on 6/4/14 at 12:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable Teflon over UP-OCC: Ultra Pure Ohno Continous Cast Copper Viablue Y Splitter Switchcraft 4 pin XLR Ordered 5 ft length So a bit of background here. I...
I used this a a record cleaning machine... it served me well through college and frankly, was "good enough". I got pretty amazing results mounting the turntable on a shelf bolted to a frame that...
Specs; Deep bass sound reproduction with 50mm Neodymium driver unit and ring port structure- cans need 50-100 hours burn-in Ring port structure provides high-quality dynamic sound- it is...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Then have a look at this one http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp41.htm no DAC and it has a 25W per channel @ 4Ohm and a sperate headphone amp.
I don't really know much about audio hardware. I've just seen the magni recommended in various places, especially for gaming.
How would that one you linked differ from the magni?
And so do I need to plug these speakers into a "pre output"?
The Schiit Magni is a headphone amp only, so it won't drive stand alone speakers. Unless your speakers are already pre amped you'll need something like the Topping. Topping is a pretty good brand which hold it's own, but it doesn't have the hype of the Schiit products. Have a search here on Head-Fi for some of their product and you'll see that there isn't anything bad about them.
Edited by DJScope - 6/11/14 at 6:12am
@MaxKohler I just had a re-read of you question and had a quick Google of your M-Audio AV40 speaker and since they are already pre-amped then you shouldn't have any problem running these of off any headphone amp including the Magni. Just go easy on the volume control. xD
Pre-out (line out) on the Fiio E9 is for plugging in another amp or pre-amped equipment like your speakers, all it is is an unamplified signal.
All in all, you'd be better of just plugging you speakers straight into the source and use the Magni for your cans.
With my Fiio E17 I set it as my default payback device so when I get home and plug it into the USB cable it automatically switches across to the E17 USB SPDIF device and when I unplug it Windows defaults the playback back to the onboard speaker jack. It's kind of handy.
I am planning on doing a quick little DIY project for a I/O switch. 2 inputs and 2 outputs using DPDT switches, so there are no 2 ins or 2 outs ever going at once. This will allow me to just flick a switch to chose if I want either the headphone or speaker out and/or the onboard speaker jack or E17 as the input. This makes it more flexible for me to run both speakers and cans through the E17 as I wish. Because I take my cans and E17 to work everyday and my wife can just flick the switches to select the PC output and speakers without having to change any wires around. And when I get home, I just plug the E17 in and flick the switches back. Sounds more complicated then it is in reality. xD
Indeed you're right. Though both can be correctly used.
Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.
- Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight... 5 seconds ago
- › Sneaker-Fi (or Shoe-Fi) 33 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 43 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 5 minutes ago
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)