I have av40 speakers and I was planning on getting the magni amp along with some q701s, but I saw someone say that they got the FiiO E9 because it has a "pre output" to plug speakers into. Is that necessary?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productM-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakerstagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productSchiit Magnitagged by nightmancometh, 6/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Help! I need an Amp for Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm and AKG Q701. Last post on 12/23/12 at 4:44pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Purchased AKG Q701 - is my Amp enough for them? Last post on 12/25/12 at 4:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Not satisfied with Fiio E9 and AKG Q701. Would the O2 amp + ODAC produce less aggressive highs Last post on 8/12/14 at 10:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones with amp $400 dollar budget Last post on 7/31/14 at 7:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DAC/Amp for AKG K702? Last post on 6/4/14 at 12:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Then have a look at this one http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp41.htm no DAC and it has a 25W per channel @ 4Ohm and a sperate headphone amp.
I don't really know much about audio hardware. I've just seen the magni recommended in various places, especially for gaming.
How would that one you linked differ from the magni?
And so do I need to plug these speakers into a "pre output"?
The Schiit Magni is a headphone amp only, so it won't drive stand alone speakers. Unless your speakers are already pre amped you'll need something like the Topping. Topping is a pretty good brand which hold it's own, but it doesn't have the hype of the Schiit products. Have a search here on Head-Fi for some of their product and you'll see that there isn't anything bad about them.
Edited by DJScope - 6/11/14 at 6:12am
@MaxKohler I just had a re-read of you question and had a quick Google of your M-Audio AV40 speaker and since they are already pre-amped then you shouldn't have any problem running these of off any headphone amp including the Magni. Just go easy on the volume control. xD
Pre-out (line out) on the Fiio E9 is for plugging in another amp or pre-amped equipment like your speakers, all it is is an unamplified signal.
All in all, you'd be better of just plugging you speakers straight into the source and use the Magni for your cans.
With my Fiio E17 I set it as my default payback device so when I get home and plug it into the USB cable it automatically switches across to the E17 USB SPDIF device and when I unplug it Windows defaults the playback back to the onboard speaker jack. It's kind of handy.
I am planning on doing a quick little DIY project for a I/O switch. 2 inputs and 2 outputs using DPDT switches, so there are no 2 ins or 2 outs ever going at once. This will allow me to just flick a switch to chose if I want either the headphone or speaker out and/or the onboard speaker jack or E17 as the input. This makes it more flexible for me to run both speakers and cans through the E17 as I wish. Because I take my cans and E17 to work everyday and my wife can just flick the switches to select the PC output and speakers without having to change any wires around. And when I get home, I just plug the E17 in and flick the switches back. Sounds more complicated then it is in reality. xD
Indeed you're right. Though both can be correctly used.
Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.
- Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 second ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 seconds ago
- › New Beyerdynamic amp A2 46 seconds ago
- › Looking to upgrade 59 seconds ago
- › DX50 Windows 7 (64) usb connection issue 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Shure se846 (US only) 1 minute ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 1 minute ago
- › Destiny 4 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)