I have av40 speakers and I was planning on getting the magni amp along with some q701s, but I saw someone say that they got the FiiO E9 because it has a "pre output" to plug speakers into. Is that necessary?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productM-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakerstagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productSchiit Magnitagged by nightmancometh, 6/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Q701 DAC + AMP for my computer Last post on 3/8/13 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help! I need an Amp for Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm and AKG Q701. Last post on 12/23/12 at 4:44pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Purchased AKG Q701 - is my Amp enough for them? Last post on 12/25/12 at 4:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Not satisfied with Fiio E9 and AKG Q701. Would the O2 amp + ODAC produce less aggressive highs Last post on 8/12/14 at 10:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones with amp $400 dollar budget Last post on 7/31/14 at 7:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
I actually have the ES900m, which doesn't have microphone and control buttons, but the rest is the same. For $6 it's impossible to buy a pair of earphones as good as them. I really believe...
This review will compare between the two semi-flagship headphones from two companies; The K712 headphones from AKG, and the HD700 from Sennheiser. "Expect and discover. The perfection." -box...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Noontec for providing me with a review sample of your Hammo S headphones. Still fresh in my mind how I almost missed an opportunity to review...
I have been using a E09K to power my DT990 600ohm cans for over two years now, long enough that I don't really remember exactly when I got it but for sure over two years. I use this thing every...
First and foremost, a big thank you to those at Noble Audio who has sent me a unit to review. The Noble Audio customer service experience has been a joy to behold. Brannan is always on hand to deal...
Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Then have a look at this one http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp41.htm no DAC and it has a 25W per channel @ 4Ohm and a sperate headphone amp.
I don't really know much about audio hardware. I've just seen the magni recommended in various places, especially for gaming.
How would that one you linked differ from the magni?
And so do I need to plug these speakers into a "pre output"?
The Schiit Magni is a headphone amp only, so it won't drive stand alone speakers. Unless your speakers are already pre amped you'll need something like the Topping. Topping is a pretty good brand which hold it's own, but it doesn't have the hype of the Schiit products. Have a search here on Head-Fi for some of their product and you'll see that there isn't anything bad about them.
Edited by DJScope - 6/11/14 at 6:12am
@MaxKohler I just had a re-read of you question and had a quick Google of your M-Audio AV40 speaker and since they are already pre-amped then you shouldn't have any problem running these of off any headphone amp including the Magni. Just go easy on the volume control. xD
Pre-out (line out) on the Fiio E9 is for plugging in another amp or pre-amped equipment like your speakers, all it is is an unamplified signal.
All in all, you'd be better of just plugging you speakers straight into the source and use the Magni for your cans.
With my Fiio E17 I set it as my default payback device so when I get home and plug it into the USB cable it automatically switches across to the E17 USB SPDIF device and when I unplug it Windows defaults the playback back to the onboard speaker jack. It's kind of handy.
I am planning on doing a quick little DIY project for a I/O switch. 2 inputs and 2 outputs using DPDT switches, so there are no 2 ins or 2 outs ever going at once. This will allow me to just flick a switch to chose if I want either the headphone or speaker out and/or the onboard speaker jack or E17 as the input. This makes it more flexible for me to run both speakers and cans through the E17 as I wish. Because I take my cans and E17 to work everyday and my wife can just flick the switches to select the PC output and speakers without having to change any wires around. And when I get home, I just plug the E17 in and flick the switches back. Sounds more complicated then it is in reality. xD
Indeed you're right. Though both can be correctly used.
Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.
- Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 29 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 4 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 4 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 6 minutes ago
- › Terminologies that I can't get quite right, please help D: 7 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 7 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 8 minutes ago
- › AWEI ES-900i Headset Earphones Speakers with Mic for Smart Phone -... by mrplt
- › AKG K712 Pro by KopaZ
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by twister6
- › FiiO E09K by Chuck Canada
- › Noble Audio Savant by uchihaitachi
- › RHA T10i by zim2411
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2