I have av40 speakers and I was planning on getting the magni amp along with some q701s, but I saw someone say that they got the FiiO E9 because it has a "pre output" to plug speakers into. Is that necessary?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productM-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakerstagged by nightmancometh, 6/11/14
- productSchiit Magnitagged by nightmancometh, 6/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Help! I need an Amp for Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm and AKG Q701. Last post on 12/23/12 at 4:44pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Purchased AKG Q701 - is my Amp enough for them? Last post on 12/25/12 at 4:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Not satisfied with Fiio E9 and AKG Q701. Would the O2 amp + ODAC produce less aggressive highs Last post on 8/12/14 at 10:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- DAC/Amp for AKG K702? Last post on 6/4/14 at 12:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AKG-Q701 Pairings Last post on 3/6/14 at 12:15pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Then have a look at this one http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp41.htm no DAC and it has a 25W per channel @ 4Ohm and a sperate headphone amp.
I don't really know much about audio hardware. I've just seen the magni recommended in various places, especially for gaming.
How would that one you linked differ from the magni?
And so do I need to plug these speakers into a "pre output"?
The Schiit Magni is a headphone amp only, so it won't drive stand alone speakers. Unless your speakers are already pre amped you'll need something like the Topping. Topping is a pretty good brand which hold it's own, but it doesn't have the hype of the Schiit products. Have a search here on Head-Fi for some of their product and you'll see that there isn't anything bad about them.
Edited by DJScope - 6/11/14 at 6:12am
@MaxKohler I just had a re-read of you question and had a quick Google of your M-Audio AV40 speaker and since they are already pre-amped then you shouldn't have any problem running these of off any headphone amp including the Magni. Just go easy on the volume control. xD
Pre-out (line out) on the Fiio E9 is for plugging in another amp or pre-amped equipment like your speakers, all it is is an unamplified signal.
All in all, you'd be better of just plugging you speakers straight into the source and use the Magni for your cans.
With my Fiio E17 I set it as my default payback device so when I get home and plug it into the USB cable it automatically switches across to the E17 USB SPDIF device and when I unplug it Windows defaults the playback back to the onboard speaker jack. It's kind of handy.
I am planning on doing a quick little DIY project for a I/O switch. 2 inputs and 2 outputs using DPDT switches, so there are no 2 ins or 2 outs ever going at once. This will allow me to just flick a switch to chose if I want either the headphone or speaker out and/or the onboard speaker jack or E17 as the input. This makes it more flexible for me to run both speakers and cans through the E17 as I wish. Because I take my cans and E17 to work everyday and my wife can just flick the switches to select the PC output and speakers without having to change any wires around. And when I get home, I just plug the E17 in and flick the switches back. Sounds more complicated then it is in reality. xD
Indeed you're right. Though both can be correctly used.
Sent from Moto G XT1033 w/ Faux kernel.
- Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › AKG K812 Pro 42 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › I Think We're Being Had 2 minutes ago
- › A long time(2010) Denon D5000 owner needs advice/direction on new... 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › CD-R Question 3 minutes ago
- › Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified... 4 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 4 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kerns AK100 MK2 (3 ohm output) 7 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)