Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best for classic and jazz from the following selection? No amp. What do YOU think? (and why :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best for classic and jazz from the following selection? No amp. What do YOU think? (and why :-)

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Best for classic and jazz from the following selection ?

 

akg k272 HD

akg k550

fostex t50rp (no mod or just pads)

nvx xpt100

shure SRH440

superlux hd668b

takstar HI2050

yamaha MT220

 

What do you think?


Edited by tussinette - 6/7/14 at 3:21pm
post #2 of 16

K272 too bright

K550 good sounding with a nice low end

shure SRH440 too bright and the pads wear out fast

 

I have not herd the others.

 

Do you need the headphone to be closed because depending on your budget the HD600 or AKG Q701 would be other great options.

 

If you like on-ear the Philips Cityscape Downtown is amazingly good especially for the price.

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi NA blur, and thanks for the reply.

 

I don't need closed headphones but the HD600 and the AKG Q701 are indeed over my budget. Also I have glasses and the over-ear are usually quiet uncomfortable for me.

 

Edit: I tried the SRH440 and they were not too bright for my taste.


Edited by tussinette - 6/7/14 at 3:44pm
post #4 of 16

Nice, the SRH440 is a great headphone, it just is a tad bright for my taste and the pads wear out.  You can easily replace the pads and the fact that the cable is removable is a huge plus.

post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tussinette View Post
 

Best for classic and jazz from the following selection ?

 

akg k272 HD

akg k550

fostex t50rp (no mod or just pads)

nvx xpt100

shure SRH440

superlux hd668b

takstar HI2050

yamaha MT220

 

What do you think?


Hi,

 

Takstar HI-2050 are very good for the genres you've listed.

I remember listening to Mahler's Symphony N° 5 through my Hi-2050 and enjoying them very much. In my opinion this headphones stand out reproducing strings.

 

If you want something smoother you should consider Audio Technica AD900x and Sony MA900 (These are normally a bit pricier)

 

Best Luck!

post #6 of 16
The Shure apparently comes in two varieties, bright and bassy, but you never know what you're getting beforehand so forget that unless you want to buy three and send two back. Not recommended.

XPT100 is fine. It's steady and even and coherent. I think it's better with classical than jazz because it's darker and not particularly aggressive.

My favorite of the three is the Fostex. But get a slightly older one as there have been some production changes lately. It's a great all rounder because it plays everything fine and nothing badly. You definitely will want to change the pads to ones you prefer. You might want to play with a little transpore tape and adhesive felt behind the dust covers.

Best luck!
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

The Shure apparently comes in two varieties, bright and bassy, but you never know what you're getting beforehand so forget that unless you want to buy three and send two back. Not recommended.

XPT100 is fine. It's steady and even and coherent. I think it's better with classical than jazz because it's darker and not particularly aggressive.

My favorite of the three is the Fostex. But get a slightly older one as there have been some production changes lately. It's a great all rounder because it plays everything fine and nothing badly. You definitely will want to change the pads to ones you prefer. You might want to play with a little transpore tape and adhesive felt behind the dust covers.

Best luck!

I am very tempter by the Fostex but they are 200$ over here (czech republic) when I can get the XPT100 or Shure srh440 for half this price. With these price differences in mind, would you still go for the Fostex?


Edited by tussinette - 6/8/14 at 6:10am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tussinette View Post

I am very tempter by the Fostex but they are 200$ over here (czech republic) when I can get the XPT100 or Shure srh440 at halh this price. With these price differences in mind, would you still go for the Fostex?

Yes compared with SRH440; not so sure compared with XPT100.

Can you find a slightly older one used? I would look for that because I enjoy it more, but it's going to be a matter of preference.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post


Yes compared with SRH440; not so sure compared with XPT100.

Can you find a slightly older one used? I would look for that because I enjoy it more, but it's going to be a matter of preference.

I would like to buy new because the law is interesting over here:

1/ 2 years warranty

2/ 14 days trial on any internet shopping

 

How can I recognize them? I heared that the only real difference where the pads, and that therefore the very latest version (known as T-50rpN in Japan) had a bit more bass.

 

Your help would be highly appreciated :-)

post #10 of 16
There's no cosmetic way to recognize them--nothing. Sorry. redface.gif So ask the retailer when they got them in stock. You want roughly from September 2013 and earlier. The later ones are, ugh, brighter.
post #11 of 16
I forgot to mention that if you need isolation, XPT100 is very isolating and T50RP is only somewhat isolating because it's semi-open (top vents are closed and bottom vents are covered with thin felt).
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 

Isolation is not an issue. I now hesitate between XPT100 + T50RP or AKG K702... lol.

 

I like the angled pads of the XPT100 and I am curious how they would sound on the T50RP, the AKG K702 is probably in another league but I don't like velour pads... :-(

post #13 of 16
I own a K702 that I keep meaning to sell because I've hardly used it. The treble is crisp and wakes me up. I prefer HD600 to the others at that price. Whereas I use my T50RP very often because it's inoffensive and versatile. I never modded it much inside because all the well-known mods make it more closed.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

I own a K702 that I keep meaning to sell because I've hardly used it. The treble is crisp and wakes me up. I prefer HD600 to the others at that price. Whereas I use my T50RP very often because it's inoffensive and versatile. I never modded it much inside because all the well-known mods make it more closed.


Very interesting. I will go and try the T50RP today. What are the changes you did to your one? Also, which pads do you use as I really don't like when my ears touch the drivers? (and THX for your help!!! :beerchug: )

post #15 of 16
Sure thing!

Shallow earpads make me crazy too. The two best ones are HM5 pads if you want pleather, and SRH1540 alcantara pads if you don't want pleather. Until recently I was using SRH940 velours with the dust covers cut off, which works but I think the 1540 are easier to work with and a little more comfortable. (h/t grizzlybeast)

If you decide to use either of the Shures, you might want to tone down the treble a little with small pieces of some transpore tape and adhesive craft felt behind the dust cover or where the dust cover would have been, in the case of the velours.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best for classic and jazz from the following selection? No amp. What do YOU think? (and why :-)