or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for a new Gaming headset
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a new Gaming headset

Poll Results: Which Headset should I pick?

 
  • 0% (0)
    Astro A40
  • 0% (0)
    Sennheisers P363D
  • 100% (1)
    Sennheisers G4ME Zero
1 Total Vote  
post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

So I have been looking for a new headset since my Astro a40's broke. The mic quality wasn't all that great for 250 dollars, so I don't know if i should repurchase it. So I'm looking for a headset for Cs Go on pc. Though I also want my mic to be pretty good so if I ever start to make videos again.  So what I want is a good headset that will pinpoint footsteps and have a mic good enough for recording. Can you judge these headsets with that in-mind. Astro A40's, G4ME Zero's, or P363D's. Also, I have a mixAmp from Astrogaming, will it work on all the headsets I presented? I am fine if you give better suggestions instead, but please keep in mind I like the idea of the headset being the mic. I do not have to strictly follow that though. Thank you for any help that you provide!

post #2 of 11

Sennheiser HD558 headphones ($90-$120) and any add-on mic you like.

A Asus Xonar DG/DGX sound card ($20-$40) could take the place of the Astro mix-amp.

 

Here are two threads you can read up on and post any gaming related questions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

post #3 of 11
Just FYI, both of the Sennheiser headsets in your poll use the same drivers as the 518/558/598's. Set a budget, decide if you want open or closed, then find a set of cans that looks good to you, throw on a mic and sound card... And rock 'n' roll. Csgo is great with a proper set up!
post #4 of 11

If you have a good pair of headphones with a removable cable, you should look into the VModa BoomPro mic. Mad Lust Envy says they sound great.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post

Just FYI, both of the Sennheiser headsets in your poll use the same drivers as the 518/558/598's. Set a budget, decide if you want open or closed, then find a set of cans that looks good to you, throw on a mic and sound card... And rock 'n' roll. Csgo is great with a proper set up!

Um, can you go into more detail please? I don't know why people would want open when others say closed is better. Also, how do the drivers affect the hardware? Most of the replies I am getting are making me so lost... :( 

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskruto View Post
 

Um, can you go into more detail please? I don't know why people would want open when others say closed is better. Also, how do the drivers affect the hardware? Most of the replies I am getting are making me so lost... :( 

Open : wider airier sound stage

 

Closed : better bass response full sounding and better isolation (passive).

 

The drivers are not the only things affecting the sound, There are many other things that matter such as housing, wires and etc.

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskruto View Post
 

Um, can you go into more detail please? I don't know why people would want open when others say closed is better. Also, how do the drivers affect the hardware? Most of the replies I am getting are making me so lost... :( 

Open headphones allow more airflow through the drivers, so you get a wider, deeper soundstage and better imaging than most closed headphones. Also, having the same driver in different headphones pretty much means the housings are ones altering the sound, and they sound basically the same if placed in the same housing. Therrefore, he mans that if you buy the G4ME Zero, you're basically paying for a closed HD598 with a mic on it. If you like the Sennehisers, get the 598s, then get a mic. Gaming headsets are often overpriced for what they deliver.

 

But Jodgey was right: You will have to set a budget and your housing type.

post #8 of 11
For gaming, open is better than closed 9/10 times if you can deal with having some sound leak. Looking at Amazon's pricing, the Zero looks cheaper than the 598 right now... But getting the 558 + Mic might save money still. 558's are a little warmer sounding, and there's a simple mod you can do to make them sound more like 598's if you're so inclined.

Let us know what your budget is so we can help guide you! I'm not sure if the mixamp works with PC gaming, but if not, you can get great sound cards for cheap. I use the Asus Xonar DGX myself, it's ~$40.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post

For gaming, open is better than closed 9/10 times if you can deal with having some sound leak. Looking at Amazon's pricing, the Zero looks cheaper than the 598 right now... But getting the 558 + Mic might save money still. 558's are a little warmer sounding, and there's a simple mod you can do to make them sound more like 598's if you're so inclined.

Let us know what your budget is so we can help guide you! I'm not sure if the mixamp works with PC gaming, but if not, you can get great sound cards for cheap. I use the Asus Xonar DGX myself, it's ~$40.

My budget is under $300. Anyway the mixAmp works with PC but I am not sure if other headsets would work with it.  I already have my Astro A40's but the mic has broke so I can't play Cs Go effectively. I can get another mic easily and fix that problem but if it is not the Boom Mic that broke than i would need another a40's headset which would be around $140. In that scenario, I might just want to go and buy a different headset, one that didn't give me so many problems with the microphone because of the bad quality I experienced.

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 

bump

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskruto View Post
 

My budget is under $300. Anyway the mixAmp works with PC but I am not sure if other headsets would work with it.  I already have my Astro A40's but the mic has broke so I can't play Cs Go effectively. I can get another mic easily and fix that problem but if it is not the Boom Mic that broke than i would need another a40's headset which would be around $140. In that scenario, I might just want to go and buy a different headset, one that didn't give me so many problems with the microphone because of the bad quality I experienced.

 

Most low impedance (Ohm) headphones will work plugged into the Astro mix-amp

Sennehiser HD558 ($90-$120) and any add-on mic you like.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for a new Gaming headset