or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adding a DAC to my iPod?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I read that adding just a cheap DAC to my iPod+E11 combo would improve my headphones quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's true or not. My headphones are primarily the HD558's. I've got the iPod Touch 5G which I've read on here already has quite a good DAC built in and again I don't know. iPods aren't known for their SQ so I'm sure it's not that great. I believe the person said even a $50 DAC will help quite a bit? Seems a little far fetched.
post #2 of 17
The headphone out of your 5G is just as good as the line out through a CCK, that was measured here quite a while back. I doubt that you will find any DAC's that will work for $50.

You might want to look into a different amplifier, a lot of people don't like the E11. Possibly a dedicated player like the FiiO X3 which will eliminate the amp all together as it has quite a bit of power and be a major step up in sound quality from the touch.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
A CCK is...?
post #4 of 17

Camera Connection Kit, which I remember now is only for iPad not Touch,

 

You would need a Lightning to 30 Pin adapter to get Line Out quality audio which is the same as the headphone out...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/168139/ipod-5g-amping-headphone-out-vs-line-out

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyboy420x View Post I've got the iPod Touch 5G which I've read on here already has quite a good DAC built in and again I don't know. iPods aren't known for their SQ so I'm sure it's not that great. I believe the person said even a $50 DAC will help quite a bit? Seems a little far fetched.


I don't buy it either. Sounds like the guy is parroting something he read here.
Edited by Claritas - 6/5/14 at 4:34pm
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Actu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Camera Connection Kit, which I remember now is only for iPad not Touch,

You would need a Lightning to 30 Pin adapter to get Line Out quality audio which is the same as the headphone out...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/168139/ipod-5g-amping-headphone-out-vs-line-out
Actually I've already got the 30 Pin to Lightning adapter. Use it with the Fiio,I don't connect the fiio to my iPod through the iPods line out..
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyboy420x View Post

I read that adding just a cheap DAC to my iPod+E11 combo would improve my headphones quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's true or not. My headphones are primarily the HD558's. I've got the iPod Touch 5G which I've read on here already has quite a good DAC built in and again I don't know. iPods aren't known for their SQ so I'm sure it's not that great. I believe the person said even a $50 DAC will help quite a bit? Seems a little far fetched.

 

$50 for a good DAC (or even a poor quality DAC) that will work with an Apple Lightning port....LOL

Sounds like your friend did a little too much LDS during the 60s.

 

I would say to only use 256k and/or 320k music files (maybe FLAC files?) with your iPod, otherwise I do not think there is any other practical ways to improve the audio quality with your current setup.

Maybe be buy a FiiO X3 or iBasso DX50 music player?

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Perhaps even a headphone upgrade? Really been eyeing the HD600's... Think my setup is probably too weak for that though.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyboy420x View Post

Perhaps even a headphone upgrade? Really been eyeing the HD600's... Think my setup is probably too weak for that though.

 

Is this audio setup for traveling or sitting in a library or just home use or other?

 

Did you remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
It's at home. I got the Fiio since it seemed the most ipod friendly and easiest to use for someone who doesn't know muh about that stuff. And yes I did remove it.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

The headphone out of your 5G is just as good as the line out through a CCK, that was measured here quite a while back. I doubt that you will find any DAC's that will work for $50.

You might want to look into a different amplifier, a lot of people don't like the E11. Possibly a dedicated player like the FiiO X3 which will eliminate the amp all together as it has quite a bit of power and be a major step up in sound quality from the touch.


+1 on the X3!

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
I've been eyeing the X3. Maybe even X5. It's only around $300 for the X5. That's what I paid for my iPod.. Any differences between the X3 and X5? There's about a $100 difference between them.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyboy420x View Post

I've been eyeing the X3. Maybe even X5. It's only around $300 for the X5. That's what I paid for my iPod.. Any differences between the X3 and X5? There's about a $100 difference between them.

Reviews make the X5 look significantly superior, but I personally have no idea. 

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
I'll look into that. $300 doesn't really seem too bad at all.
post #15 of 17

I wish Sony had a new Smartphone+Walkman refresh.  Hate carrying around a large phone and dap.

Not sure if the X5 reviews are hype, but I am considering upgrading my WMZ-Z1040.  Excellent player, but has very little storage

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home