or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions - Page 88

post #1306 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westron View Post
 

I am interested in the SQ of the Lyr 2. It is slightly better than the Lyr 1 and with a little less noise-floor. But I have one question: why not make the amp more airflow friendly. I almost burnt my hand on the Lyr 2 at the Schiit table at Canjam. Where are the heat sinks? Why isn't the top more perforated? Why is my hand almost on fire after touching the volume knob. If you ask me, the volume knob could be its own heat sink, it would look cool and users would be less afraid to turn up the volume with fear of being burnt.

 

Where are the heat sinks?

 

You're looking at them.

 

The aluminum chassis IS the heat sink... which is why it gets warm.

post #1307 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithEmo View Post
 

 

Where are the heat sinks?

 

You're looking at them.

 

The aluminum chassis IS the heat sink... which is why it gets warm.

Yep. And I can lay my hand on it without any pain- not the tubes of course!

post #1308 of 1317

You´re absolutely right, for different reasons I ended up with a HD 700 pair....impossible to sell in México and that´s why I´m trying to get a pair of tubes for the Lyr that would make it up for me....

post #1309 of 1317

For those interested, the Lyr/Lyr2 compatibility chart was updated with a few new sections and one new tube.  Check it out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list#post_11328343

 

Cheers

post #1310 of 1317

@kayandjohn welcome to the world of Lyr2 and good luck with your endeavors. I am glad you found the chart/guide helpful - make sure to come back to the forums and ask questions when in doubt, the guys here have been truly amazing to learn and avoid costly mistakes.

 

Happy rolling.

post #1311 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbito78 View Post
 

You´re absolutely right, for different reasons I ended up with a HD 700 pair....impossible to sell in México and that´s why I´m trying to get a pair of tubes for the Lyr that would make it up for me....

For the HD-700 the best tubes that I have are Amperex "PQ" tubes, really mellows out the highs on the HD-700 and the dynamics are quite good.  I've found that for me and my girlfriend the Ember actually works better, good luck.

post #1312 of 1317

Hey everyone and salutations. I just joined here and have found it to be a great resource. I have dabbled in a bit of music production but have always felt there was something missing from my set up - Complete Audio 6 and Sound blaster ZxR.   While the ZxR could drive my Beyerdynamic DT 880 the seem to fall flat.

 

My computers's pcix slots were all completely taken so when I decided to water-cool my raid card and video cards to reduce the noise in my workspace. Which meant I had to down-grade to a Sound Blaster Zx which claims to have a 600ohm aplifyer which I found completely lacking.

 

I purchased a Lyr from Amazon to connect to my Soundblaster's line out but had awful ground loop noise.  I was going to just install a ground loop isolation system but found that through my research that would be a complete waste of time.

 

So I broke down and returned the lyr and ordred a Bifrost Uber and Lyr2 directly from Schitt and upgraded the tubest to AMPEREX USN CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 7308 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCH PAIR BEST A21G.

 

Just incredible. Now I just look for higher quality audio to take advantage of this system.  I have my line out connect do a Marantz SR7009 which too produces and an incredible sound stage from this tube amp. Substantially better than it's built in DSP.

 

I am very happy with this Schiit.

post #1313 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post

Hey everyone and salutations. I just joined here and have found it to be a great resource. I have dabbled in a bit of music production but have always felt there was something missing from my set up - Complete Audio 6 and Sound blaster ZxR.   While the ZxR could drive my Beyerdynamic DT 880 the seem to fall flat.

My computers's pcix slots were all completely taken so when I decided to water-cool my raid card and video cards to reduce the noise in my workspace. Which meant I had to down-grade to a Sound Blaster Zx which claims to have a 600ohm aplifyer which I found completely lacking.

I purchased a Lyr from Amazon to connect to my Soundblaster's line out but had awful ground loop noise.  I was going to just install a ground loop isolation system but found that through my research that would be a complete waste of time.

So I broke down and returned the lyr and ordred a Bifrost Uber and Lyr2 directly from Schitt and upgraded the tubest to AMPEREX USN CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 7308 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCH PAIR BEST A21G.

Just incredible. Now I just look for higher quality audio to take advantage of this system.  I have my line out connect do a Marantz SR7009 which too produces and an incredible sound stage from this tube amp. Substantially better than it's built in DSP.

I am very happy with this Schiit.

Welcome to the forum and the world of the Lyr2. The Bifrost Uber + Lyr2 are a killer combo for an amazing price. You will find that any well recorded music, even if it's not fully hi-Rez, will sound amazing on your rig. The trick is to enjoy the music and avoid the pitfall of nit picking on the bit rate and format.

Have fun
post #1314 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post

Hey everyone and salutations. I just joined here and have found it to be a great resource. I have dabbled in a bit of music production but have always felt there was something missing from my set up - Complete Audio 6 and Sound blaster ZxR.   While the ZxR could drive my Beyerdynamic DT 880 the seem to fall flat.

My computers's pcix slots were all completely taken so when I decided to water-cool my raid card and video cards to reduce the noise in my workspace. Which meant I had to down-grade to a Sound Blaster Zx which claims to have a 600ohm aplifyer which I found completely lacking.

I purchased a Lyr from Amazon to connect to my Soundblaster's line out but had awful ground loop noise.  I was going to just install a ground loop isolation system but found that through my research that would be a complete waste of time.

So I broke down and returned the lyr and ordred a Bifrost Uber and Lyr2 directly from Schitt and upgraded the tubest to AMPEREX USN CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 7308 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCH PAIR BEST A21G.

Just incredible. Now I just look for higher quality audio to take advantage of this system.  I have my line out connect do a Marantz SR7009 which too produces and an incredible sound stage from this tube amp. Substantially better than it's built in DSP.

I am very happy with this Schiit.
Congrats! I have a pair of those tubes. Nice they are.
post #1315 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
 

For the HD-700 the best tubes that I have are Amperex "PQ" tubes, really mellows out the highs on the HD-700 and the dynamics are quite good.  I've found that for me and my girlfriend the Ember actually works better, good luck.

DavidA, thanks for your reply....do you have an specific Amperex PQ number? i was told that the Amperex UGLY BUTTS were the way to go to mellow those damned highs..regards.

post #1316 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbito78 View Post
 

DavidA, thanks for your reply....do you have an specific Amperex PQ number? i was told that the Amperex UGLY BUTTS were the way to go to mellow those damned highs..regards.


Haven't tried any "ugly butts", first I've heard of them, sorry.  As for the "PQ" there are a few on ebay every once in a while, cost has gone up since I got mine about a year ago.  Best to buy from dealer that takes returns or ebay warranty, good luck.

post #1317 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
 


Haven't tried any "ugly butts", first I've heard of them, sorry.  As for the "PQ" there are a few on ebay every once in a while, cost has gone up since I got mine about a year ago.  Best to buy from dealer that takes returns or ebay warranty, good luck.

Ok....thanks!!! will make the search.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions