Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed. - Page 5

post #61 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetSandman View Post
 

Reading the specs page, Lyr 2 actually has an output impedance of 0.3 ohms, would this make it an even better potential mate for IEM's than Valhalla 2?

Also, how much do the tubes color the sound? One big appeal of solid-state IMO is the lack of tube sound coloring, a more neutral and reference sound signature, which is why I've been eyeing the Asgard 2 (output impedance is listed only as 'less than 2 ohms')

Output impedance ain't the problem with Lyr. What you got to watch out is the noise floor, which I believe is lower on the Asgard, thus making it a better choice if you use mainly IEMs (though I don't get why you would use IEM with a desktop amp in the first place).

post #62 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

Output impedance ain't the problem with Lyr. What you got to watch out is the noise floor, which I believe is lower on the Asgard, thus making it a better choice if you use mainly IEMs (though I don't get why you would use IEM with a desktop amp in the first place).

I'm probably inexperienced, but I had thought output impedance was the prime concern when dealing with sensitive headphones, and I'm not sure how you'd figure out the noise floor without actually listening to both amps

 

As for IEM's with a desktop amp, I live in an apartment on a busy intersection, and sometimes I'll have various household appliances running simultaneously as well. My HD 650's can't exactly block that noise out, so I'd love to be able to simply unplug them from an amp, switch the gain, plug my IEM's in, and continue listening 

post #63 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post

Output impedance ain't the problem with Lyr. What you got to watch out is the noise floor, which I believe is lower on the Asgard, thus making it a better choice if you use mainly IEMs (though I don't get why you would use IEM with a desktop amp in the first place).
Sometimes your IEMs are better than your full size headphones. I know mine can be.
post #64 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

Output impedance ain't the problem with Lyr. What you got to watch out is the noise floor, which I believe is lower on the Asgard, thus making it a better choice if you use mainly IEMs (though I don't get why you would use IEM with a desktop amp in the first place).

I agree with people who use iems with desktop are... maybe a tad crazier than I am 

 

non the less, the Lyr 2 is quieter and has a better impedance matching so it should work for anything

 

wish they'd sell a balanced lyr for around $600  

post #65 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetSandman View Post
 

I'm probably inexperienced, but I had thought output impedance was the prime concern when dealing with sensitive headphones, and I'm not sure how you'd figure out the noise floor without actually listening to both amps

 

As for IEM's with a desktop amp, I live in an apartment on a busy intersection, and sometimes I'll have various household appliances running simultaneously as well. My HD 650's can't exactly block that noise out, so I'd love to be able to simply unplug them from an amp, switch the gain, plug my IEM's in, and continue listening 

Output impedance is a problem with low impedance headphone, as it limits the current output, cause serious distortion around the resonant frequency (most of the time bass level) and limits the general control the amp has over the driver (damping factor). It ain't directly related to sensitivity as you seem to think it is. As for noise, you can always look at SNR to give you an idea, but as you said, the best way is to try out your IEMs with said amp and find out if you can hear the noise floor or not with them.

Simply remember, sensitivity =/= impedance.

Cheers


Edited by Rem0o - 6/3/14 at 9:09pm
post #66 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

Output impedance is a problem with low impedance headphone, as it limits the current output, cause serious distortion around the resonant frequency (most of the time bass level) and limits the general control the amp has over the driver (damping factor). It ain't directly related to sensitivity as you seem to think it is. As for noise, you can always look at SNR to give you an idea, but as you said, the best way is to try out your IEMs with said amp and find out if you can hear the noise floor or not with them.

Simply remember, sensitivity =/= impedance.

Cheers

very good point, my HE 4 has low impdeance, and LOW sensitivity 

post #67 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

Output impedance ain't the problem with Lyr. What you got to watch out is the noise floor, which I believe is lower on the Asgard, thus making it a better choice if you use mainly IEMs (though I don't get why you would use IEM with a desktop amp in the first place).

 

 

My thoughts exactly. Why on earth would anyone want to use IEMs at home, on a desktop system? It doesn't make sense to me...

 

Best.

post #68 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady65 View Post
 

My thoughts exactly. Why on earth would anyone want to use IEMs at home, on a desktop system? It doesn't make sense to me...

 

To isolate the wife's screaming? :D

post #69 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady65 View Post


My thoughts exactly. Why on earth would anyone want to use IEMs at home, on a desktop system? It doesn't make sense to me...

Best.

Does nobody else live in a noisy environment? O.o I would have thought the benefits of IEM's when on the go would still be obvious while at home; isolation from outside noise
post #70 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

To isolate the wife's screaming? :D

 

Ha ha, yes, that's an idea! :dt880smile: Seriously though, whatever happened to sealing, closed back designs? That would be my obvious choice. Although not full-sized, my Beyerdynamic DT-1350 are superb for such application...

 

Best.

post #71 of 193
Just got the Lyr 2 today, and using it to run my beyerdynamic dt 880 600ohm phones. This is my first time with a tube amp will let you know my impressions. I have listened to frank zappa's Joes garage and some old resident cd and the sound is amazing.
post #72 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post

Just got the Lyr 2 today, and using it to run my beyerdynamic dt 880 600ohm phones. This is my first time with a tube amp will let you know my impressions. I have listened to frank zappa's Joes garage and some old resident cd and the sound is amazing.

Dayum...that was fast. Looking forward to your impressions.
post #73 of 193

Joe's Garage is some good stuff! Gotta love the Central Scutinizer.

 

I've got an Asgard 2 right now, but would like to grab a tube amp as well without breaking the bank. I was thinking about building a BH Crack, but now I have to seriously consider the Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2. I like the fact that both now have the pre-amp out connections.

post #74 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen16 View Post
 

 

I've got an Asgard 2 right now, but would like to grab a tube amp as well without breaking the bank. 

 

Project Ember by Garage1217 is usually highly regarded.

and your tube rolling need not get expensive since Ember doesn't use matched pairs.

post #75 of 193

The Ember's design isn't as solid as the Lyr. It doesn't give full plate voltage to tubes which can introduce higher order distortion along with other problems.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.