or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DAC/Amp with USB and Optical Inputs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DAC/Amp with USB and Optical Inputs

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for the best DAC/Amp options for running both a CD player (assume toslink connection) and computer (USB connection). Can this be done for <$250? If so, what are your recommendations?

I've seen options like the Audioengine with both an optical and USB, but it seems like only one can be hooked up at a time (USB port used to power the DAC when optical is used).

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
post #2 of 8
Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 plus should work.
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobio View Post

I'm looking for the best DAC/Amp options for running both a CD player (assume toslink connection) and computer (USB connection). Can this be done for <$250? If so, what are your recommendations?
I've seen options like the Audioengine with both an optical and USB, but it seems like only one can be hooked up at a time (USB port used to power the DAC when optical is used).

 

Have you considered burning all your music CDs to FLAC (or 320K) audio files and play them all from your computer's hard drive?

What headphones are you going to be using?

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMan View Post

Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 plus should work.

Yup, that's what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also looking at magni/modi with the SYS passive preamp. For this the SYS would be placed after the modi and would use the second set of RCA inputs for the CD player, which would rely on it's own DAC. This set up would be $247. Any advantage/disadvantage to the Schiit set-up over the Tubemagic D1 plus (other than three boxes vs one)?
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
And there's the NFB 11 at $300 plus shipping. Any reason to pay $100 for this over the Tubemagic?
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Have you considered burning all your music CDs to FLAC (or 320K) audio files and play them all from your computer's hard drive?
What headphones are you going to be using?

We're an Apple household, and I have about a 1/4 of my CDs (500+) transferred as ALAC files. The main problem is that we only have a single laptop in the house with a 32gb hard drive, so for now I can't get all the CDs moved over. I am considering a used Mac mini simply for the use of storing audio file and playing them over iTunes, but that will be a little while out. So for now, a combo of computer files and CDs is what I'm living with, which means an iPad and CD player as sources.

As for headphones, I'm just getting into this so I've started to audition (spent the last couple of years getting the home theater together, so now time for personal listening). I currently have a pair of AKG 545 in the house and the NAD HP50 on the way. I'll probably also bring in pairs of Senn Momentum and Beyerdynamic 770 250ohm. Hopefully I'll find something I love among these four. I need a closed pair and these fit the recommendations I've gotten from the board. May also try the ATH-M50x and Focal Spirit if I'm happy with the above.
Edited by jobio - 5/30/14 at 10:20pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobio View Post

And there's the NFB 11 at $300 plus shipping. Any reason to pay $100 for this over the Tubemagic?

 

I own the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 and it sounds great to me.

The NFB-11 come with a Sabre DAC chip, which I guess would be considered better then the TubeMagic D1 plus's fairly good CS4398 DAC chip.

The NFB-11 comes with a 32-bit/384K USB input, the D1 plus's USB input is 24-bit/96K

(the D1 Plus S/PIDF (optical & coaxial) input is 24-bit/192K, which is about the same as the NFB-11's S/PDIF)

 

The TubeMagic total should be around $234 shipped ($209+$25)

A fully load NFB-11, $385 shipped.($300+$20+$20+$45)

The NFB-11 price goes up $15 on June 1st.

post #8 of 8
Audinst hud-mx2 is a good choice that is right in that category. $250.

In: usb, optical
Out: headphone 1/8 and 1/4, rca, optical
Edited by jellowiggler - 6/7/14 at 3:37pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DAC/Amp with USB and Optical Inputs